Mitsubishi starion 4 injector setup

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

would the modification for the extra 2 injectors cause a compliance issue ??
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

No dude, it wont require a certification. If you convert to twin cam then maybe it would.

I know this Starion, I'm from Taumarunui (you spelt it wrong, btw) originally and Edge (the owner) is a mechanic.

Personally however I don't think it's very tidy, and some of the mods (ie intercooler piping and hacked out bumper) left alot to be desired. If it were me buying the car, I would rip off the whole manifold/intercooler piping and start again. In all honesty if you want the car running well you are going to have to go aftermarket ECU, as there is no factory SOHC Turbo 4G63 with MPI and distributor. The standard ECU is meant to drive two injectors in conjunction and has no control over each individual injector.

Also I highly doubt even with a tune it will get 600~700kms out of a tank. It's a 25 year old car which weighs the best part of 1300kg with a primitive SOHC engine and an even more primitive injection system.

If you want a nice Starion, keep saving and buy a nice one to start with.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

thanks for the info.

I had a few people listen to the youtube clip of the engine running, they reckon the engine sounds fucked. looks nice but sounds like too much work for me to want to deal with.
So long as I get a starion that is really my primary objective.. getting a modded one or a bargain will be considered a bonus.

otherwise im gona make a change and get a 280zx

Taumarunui / Taumaranui.. untill the begining of this year I never knew the place existed :D
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

cheaterparts wrote: as a matter of interest on after market computors we are atm working on fitting up a gen 3 holden computor to my sigma
enthuzed wrote: Would you be keen enough to do a writeup on this when you've got it sorted?

Sounds like a great way to go...
yes I will my the ecu turned up today and I have a LS1 thats coming to bits atm to measure up the crank angle sencor chopper wheel I have already measured and drawn up the cam angle sensor wheel
my plan is to try and have it up and running for the end of sep then I'll run it in the PI 6 hour that gives me an hour run time sun + sat practice to give the system a realy good run
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

HWYSTR wrote:thanks for the info.

I had a few people listen to the youtube clip of the engine running, they reckon the engine sounds fucked. looks nice but sounds like too much work for me to want to deal with.
So long as I get a starion that is really my primary objective.. getting a modded one or a bargain will be considered a bonus.

otherwise im gona make a change and get a 280zx

Taumarunui / Taumaranui.. untill the begining of this year I never knew the place existed :D
It has had a rebuild, which was about three/four years ago from memory. From the video it sounds like it has noisy tappets - you don't see clouds of smoke billowing out the exhaust so it can't be that fucked.
ImageImage
nzgsr
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by nzgsr »

280zxs are good fun and sound great but they go very rusty every where
what year zed are you looking at?
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Edge 4 injector/stock ecu setup inspired me to try the same.
Over the years I've read about it a couple times being done (on u.s. forums) but only from non-regular posters.
The sonata 4 inj intake eliminates TBI 'uneven fuel distribution'.

No reason why the fuel curve couldn't be dialed in properly with a
piggyback. Its been proven on TBI with SAFC, Emanage or MAFT, and the
electronics don't care what they're driving.

Heavy street TBI cars gone into the 12s on starquestclub with piggybacks... 300-380 ft-lbs tq at the tires with good A/F ratios and stock ignition. Don't blame the equipment.

I find it surprising what a "challenge" tuning presents to most of you guys.
Amusing how numerous remarks on oz/nz forums of how dumb we yanks are, yet novices here sucessfully install & tune SAFC, everyday occurence.

....so e z a caveman can do it. lol :)
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Also to be pedantic the intake on Edge's Starion is from an NZ-new model '87-92 shape SB/SC Galant 4G63 SOHC, and not a Sonata one like you guys keep saying it is. I'm sure you guys in Oz get the same engine in your HG/HH Galants.
ImageImage
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

cheaterparts wrote:as a matter of interest on after market computors we are atm working on fitting up a gen 3 holden computor to my sigma
enthuzed wrote: Would you be keen enough to do a writeup on this when you've got it sorted?

Sounds like a great way to go...
yes I will my the ecu turned up today and I have a LS1 thats coming to bits atm to measure up the crank angle sencor chopper wheel I have already measured and drawn up the cam angle sensor wheel
my plan is to try and have it up and running for the end of sep then I'll run it in the PI 6 hour that gives me an hour run time sun + sat practice to give the system a realy good run
This post is getting very interesting, I've always wondered if there's a better (quicker/easier/cost effective) way to run MPI without replacing the whole engine management computer. I've heard over time lots of complaints about the standard TPS and AFMs, etc, but I've got no issues with mine, only the fast idle stepper is a bit tempermental.
CP, I look fwd to seeing you at the 6hr! As a team mgr, I'll have to see if I can slip away for 1/4 of an hour!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

quest wrote:Edge 4 injector/stock ecu setup inspired me to try the same.
Over the years I've read about it a couple times being done (on u.s. forums) but only from non-regular posters.
The sonata 4 inj intake eliminates TBI 'uneven fuel distribution'.

No reason why the fuel curve couldn't be dialed in properly with a
piggyback. Its been proven on TBI with SAFC, Emanage or MAFT, and the
electronics don't care what they're driving.

Heavy street TBI cars gone into the 12s on starquestclub with piggybacks... 300-380 ft-lbs tq at the tires with good A/F ratios and stock ignition. Don't blame the equipment.

I find it surprising what a "challenge" tuning presents to most of you guys.
Amusing how numerous remarks on oz/nz forums of how dumb we yanks are, yet novices here sucessfully install & tune SAFC, everyday occurence.

....so e z a caveman can do it. lol :)
I hear what your saying about TBI and SAFC, Greddy Emanage (I've only heard of this one) or MAFT. Can these products be used with a MPI manifold to get the desired result? Quest, what did you end up doing, the Sonata manifold and....? More info please! :)
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Edge used each of the oe injector signals to fire two instead of one as standard, and put the four inj in a mpi intake. Mine is sonata.

Piggyback alters the AFM signal, which causes the std ecu to change injector pulsewidth and consequently vary A/F ratios accordingly.
I'm not sure how edges' would be tweaked without an AFM, unless a map sensor was wired to the Emanage ?

All I've done is collected the hardware to try this stock ecu/4 inj.
I want to get the MAFT working on my 2L TBI first... then procede.
I have two other engine swaps ahead of this project - before messing with a perfectly good running machine, must have a replacement online.
Xentro

Post by Xentro »

One problem you could have with using a piggybag and the stock ecu to drive multipoint is the fact that the ecu uses the AFM to determine fuel at vacuum and uses the MAP for fueling on boost

those 2.6's in the states use only the AFM to determine fuel. Atleast the 87-89 models work that way.

So ideally you'd need 2 piggybags.. one for the map and one for the AFM.

But you may be able to get around that if you have a fuel pressure regulator you can adjust.
just use the fuel pressure regulator to get either the vacuum range or boost range dailed in and use the piggybag to tune the rest.

But I know for a fact that is can work as I've seen working setups here in the Netherlands that didn't even use a piggybags (but their fuel economy sucked!)
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

hmmmm
My hose to the TBI (2L) rotted a hole in it that wouldn't allow the motor to see any boost... at the slightest positive pressure the motor would fall on its face & a cloud of black smoke from the tail pipe.
How could the MAP sensor cause this severe overfueling when it saw no boost ?
I'd figure the MAFS instructed the ecu to administer extra fuel for this air that the motor never got.

For $200 additional there is always the fully programmable FIP fuel-only ecu - entry level, can add ignition later, proven results.
Anyway we'll see how it goes
nzgsr

Post by nzgsr »

in the thread about edge wrote about setting this car up he said that it was already ran without the afm there do seem to be a few starions out there that dont need it have heard of a couple of other cars that will do the same mine dies as soon as its unplugged