What turbo to use on a SOHC 2L to make 300rwhp ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Ball Bearing turbos can handle the power for longer due to the BB strenght in restricting shaft movement.

My 2871 R with 0.82 ex housing is 308 rwhp in shootout with 36mm intake restrictor!

But thats a twin cam stroker engine!

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Barney wrote:Ball Bearing turbos can handle the power for longer due to the BB strenght in restricting shaft movement.
Ash
I disagree like I said if you use the right bits MHI turbo's are fine.

Our GTPS03 Subaru turbo goes to 3bar boost on the turbo dyno no problem.

EVO9 runs 20-18psi stock.

Also ball bearing turbo's are mostly unrebuildable, ask any turbo rebuilder they hate them.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

I thought that myth about Ball Bearing turbos being non-rebuildable was only made up due to lack of parts when they first hit the market.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

mrb1 wrote:
Barney wrote:Ball Bearing turbos can handle the power for longer due to the BB strenght in restricting shaft movement.
Ash

Also ball bearing turbo's are mostly unrebuildable, ask any turbo rebuilder they hate them.
Fair enough,

Why are there BB turbos then?
jedi
I like starions more

16g turbo

Post by jedi »

i got an 16g on my sohc still gotta get the car running 100% yet its only running 5psi goes alright just gotta sort the wastegate out so i can run about 12psi or more. ps are those 16g ballbearing turbos?.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

JD_Stazza_Brendan wrote:I thought that myth about Ball Bearing turbos being non-rebuildable was only made up due to lack of parts when they first hit the market.
Man it's no myth. Call some turbo shops and see what they say, like I mean a real turbo rebuild shop not somewhere that just sells them.
Ask them about IHI ball bearing turbos (Subaru WRX) while your at it.

We do 20G upgrades on TD05H VR4 turbo's all the time some of these turbo's are 18 years old, still fully servicable!
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Barney wrote:
mrb1 wrote:
Ash

Fair enough,

BB turbos may handle thrust loads ultimately better but if you are sub 30psi boost it's no big deal.

BB turbos offer slightly lower friction at the lower turbo RPM's which tends to give them slightly better initial spool.
A BB turbo will not make more power than a journal bearing type turbo ie. with the same wheels and housings.
From a pure engineering point of view you can argue the BB setup is a better thing however it is more expensive to manufacture.
Mitsubishi is one of the largest turbocharger manufactures in the world and they do not make any BB turbos.

When Garrett did the GT series of turbo's they redesigned a lot of the turbine wheels which meant they are a bit more efficient than the old T3/ T4 stuff that has been around since the 1960's on John Deere tractors!
So this is why the turbo's may perform better not because they are ball bearing.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

mrb1 wrote:
Barney wrote:
mrb1 wrote: I disagree like I said if you use the right bits MHI turbo's are fine.

Fair enough,

BB turbos may handle thrust loads ultimately better but if you are sub 30psi boost it's no big deal.
Or if you are sucking it thru a restrictor!
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Barney wrote:
mrb1 wrote:
Barney wrote: Fair enough,

Or if you are sucking it thru a restrictor!
We have a competition thrust bearing setup for MHI turbo's it's bullet proof (it's also not cheap!) :D
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

mrb1

details?
price?
1985 JB Starion #157
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I have decided to get my R33 turbo high flowed. The bloke reckons it will support 300rwhp easy... (Yeah, but I thought to myself... but will my engine support the turbo? rofl )
1985 JB Starion #157
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

id hope a highflowed r33 trubo would push 300hp

mates r33 here in nz has a stock turbo which gets 310rwhp on the reccomended 12psi due to the ceramic turbine
4gpwr
I love starions

turbo

Post by 4gpwr »

Before you go out and buy a big hp turbo . The cam and head will hold you back , I have a big garrett on a 2 liter sohc and from 20 psi to 25 psi there is no top end gain, my head and cam wont flow more than 210 rwk. You will also have to chase hp gains elsewhere , eg a welded and ground cam.
4Gs Rule
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Re: turbo

Post by OLD FART »

4gpwr wrote:Before you go out and buy a big hp turbo . The cam and head will hold you back , I have a big garrett on a 2 liter sohc and from 20 psi to 25 psi there is no top end gain, my head and cam wont flow more than 210 rwk. You will also have to chase hp gains elsewhere , eg a welded and ground cam.
Garys ja show car has a GT2871 INTERNAL GATE on a Redzone custom manifold and at has app 330 hpatw at 17.5 psi boost and is being fine tuned tomorrow
I am told it has a Camtech stage 2 cam and a JHH Street port head port & polish
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Re: turbo

Post by NXTIME »

4gpwr wrote:Before you go out and buy a big hp turbo . The cam and head will hold you back , I have a big garrett on a 2 liter sohc and from 20 psi to 25 psi there is no top end gain, my head and cam wont flow more than 210 rwk. You will also have to chase hp gains elsewhere , eg a welded and ground cam.
I had the same issue years ago when I had my TO4'd JA. Cam and head wouldn't allow more that 210@wheels @ 4500. No point boosting over 16-7 psi.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T