shocks

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

i would say yes they are very different , if someone could correct me please do, i have absoloutley no info on parts for a 5 stud, samples would be required :?
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
87_starion
Big Dorifto

Post by 87_starion »

ERRRR!!!!! Why did I have to be so fussy... should have brought the GSR III with dash engine and TD05 I looked at years ago... gutted
96 R33 GTS25t - 4 Sale
02 Impreza
nzgsr
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by nzgsr »

why dont we test it ill go get a strut out of a 4stud starion this week and you can see if its the same
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

So does anyone know wat the aprt no. of any replacement rear shocks are for a 5 stud 86 EX???
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

narrow or wide body should be the only variables when buying shocks, otherwise pretty sure the chassis are the same, failing that check the shock base diameter for the rears to make sure they are correct for the hub.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Lunacy wrote:So does anyone know wat the aprt no. of any replacement rear shocks are for a 5 stud 86 EX???
read page 2...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

nzgsr wrote:why dont we test it ill go get a strut out of a 4stud starion this week and you can see if its the same
They won't. Although you might find an insert you could make fit.
Remember its illegal to heat any suspension component.
Check the Uk for direct strut replacement though.
I have a list from BNT (brake and trans) of every part they supply for starions they list G55530 for Starion <87
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
nzgsr
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by nzgsr »

how can it be illegal 2 heat any suspension component springs i understand but think of all the other wielded bits in your suspension ? as long as someone who can weid properly does it there will be know issues birdshit weilds are another story
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

It just is, so do follow the aussie mags and do your own coil over conversion.
If some one has a 4 stud strut (jap import)can they measure height to spring seat for me. Had a quick look at my parts car and it looks like the will fit and just a height difference, nothing like listings i've seen.
Also its $150 a side to rebuild them (NZ new)or $190 if shaft bent. (trade)
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
NiuginiStaz
Lil' Dorifto

Post by NiuginiStaz »

Yeah I had heard that my starion has bigger brakes than the earlier ones, didnt realise it was true. You know how it is when people tell you stuff sometimes. So if its 5 stud that means it has different shocks as well and that the part numbers listed for 4 stud models wont fit mine?????

When I was replacing the front inserts for my 5 stud eurospec model a yr ago , I found that the normal JA monroe replacemnt insert was couple inches longer and ended up fitting a sigma monroe replacement insert. I was suprised but thats what I did.

sam
Shoe string budget starion. Dont know why I bother anyway
Oscar-the-Grouch
I love starions

Post by Oscar-the-Grouch »

Hello All

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I can offer Shocks and Full Coil Over Suspension for a fraction of a custom one. Have shipped several ito Oz and NZ.

LINK one here:
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... coil+overs

I can also offer Shocks as I have done this already several times over to several members here and they can vouch for me (I HOPE) :D

Shock Prices and exchange rates are as follow and can change so ASK for an updated price quote before ordering.
Link to Shock prices:
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... ght=shocks

And a GENERAL FYI...
- The Tokico shocks are NO LONGER AVAILABLE for the rear. They have been DISCONTINUED. I personally checked with Tokico North American Distributor here in California and they have CONFIRMED the "Discontinued" Status of the REAR units.

So as of now the ONLY worthwhile alternative are the KYB's. Or if you want to go Adjustables then I recommend the Tokico Illuminas. BUT remember that these will have to have spacers made for the front INSERTS to make up for the difference in length, and for the rears you will either have to modify your originals, use a KIT available here in the US but its no longer made only used or New/Old stock is left or make your own.

Adjustable Shock Prices and exchange rates are as follow and can change so ASK for an updated price quote before ordering.
- The Koni's we use the 2nd Generation MR2 Rear inserts on front and back and those the CHEAPEST I have been able to get them for its been USD$205.00 each ! Alot of us here us the more affordable AGX/KYB Adjustables for the same application with GREAT results and they are less at USD$130.00 each.

If you guys use e-bay US for parts PLEASE PLEASE be careful as many sell CRAP and I hate for anyone of you to spend a fortune on parts and overpriced or inflated shipping costs and get CRAP so PLEASE do your research and buy from a reputable seller with a reputation. Alot of the shocks on e-bay are old stock and not from a fresh batch as many LOCAL stores have as they order them from the manufacturer when YOU order them.

Hope this info helps and I can be reached for answers, personalized quotes or tech support by PM or e-Mail ( oscar-the-grouch@sbcglobal.net )

Cheers
Oscar
LSD & US Parts GUY
ImageImageImage
sriver killer
I like starions

Post by sriver killer »

i got my suspension rebuilt from the shock absorber place in brisbane,

cost me about 400 for the lot :)
a job well done :)
after alot of ff cars, I think it is time for me to try a fr :O