Ok, I have killed my DASH somehow...but it is weird.

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
chidsmind
Newcomer

Post by chidsmind »

AB wrote:I still have a suspicion that it's the EFI relay. Try temporarily bypassing it by unplugging the relay and wiring the fuel pump and ECU to a switched 12v source.

You said when it cranks it fires and then dies, How sudden does it die? Immediatly after you move the key from START or slowly spluttering down?
I had a similar prob with my dash set up it ended up being a crook crank angle sensor being the ref side of crank angle, when you start the ecu gives a default value for start timing thus not needing ref on start, when you turn the key back to ign the ecu goes back to reading ref signal from the crank angel sensor. If you have a bad ref signal on your crank sensor it just dies. Mitsubishi workshops or somebody competent with auto electrics can test it out for you, thats if you are running the dash ecu. Dash optical distributors tend to fail due to their age. The crank angle sensors in the dash 2 motors are the same as the v6 pajero 89-90 model the one with the distributor ,use v6 crank angle sensor and dash optical disc, might help.
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

I'm still running the original JA ECU, and Dizzy.
Now that I've got to pull the gearbox out and look at the clutch, I'll go for the big upgrade and slot in a Wolf 3D ECU that I have waiting and fix up my Wastegate creep as well.
:D
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Have you tested the connectivity from the injector wiring to the circuit board in the ECU? With age, the spring fingers on the ECU connector weakens, but it's a simple matter to bend them back into working position with a jeweller's screwdriver.

I had a problem where I could start the engine, but it would only run for a couple of seconds before stalling. Turns out the spring finger for that injector was weak at the ECU connector. Worth a look.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Abalistic

Update on Killing the DASH

Post by Abalistic »

Turned out to be the Master Control relay above the ECU. Stopping the motor from running.
All the metalic crashing and thumping and out of balance looked like the balance shafts had seized up.
But it turned out to be the Fly wheel! It was loose! As in ready to come off!
Did the bolts up to 200 Ft Pounds with Loctite should stay there this time.
:D
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
AB

Post by AB »

That's really weird, those are the exact same problems I had with my DASH engine. A faulty EFI relay and a flywheel that wasn't torqued up enough.

chidsmind, I never knew any DASH engines came with crank angle sensors? What would be the advantage of it using a crank angle sensor over the optical disc in the dizzy? Don't they both perform the same function making one of them redundent?
chidsmind
Newcomer

Post by chidsmind »

the crank angle on the dash is referenced from the distributor, the side of the disk with 360 slots in it. good to hear you got your car sorted
Abalistic

Post by Abalistic »

I've got a an idea that the vibration on the firewall kills an old master control relay, which is why both problems came up at the same time.
:beer
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

is possible, but i those relays are known to go blurrrrbbbb from time to time. simple to test. clip the metal top off and watch the relays work. you can also engage them manually (bee quick, they spark and burn the contacts if you do it like a little girl)
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.