gerboxes fit starion

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
2000_turbo
Big Dorifto

Post by 2000_turbo »

http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Very interesting forum!

Gr,

Martijn.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

BIG THANX MARTIJN!

here`s what i learned:

STARION PARTS:
starter plate(bolts 2 block)
starter motor
clutch(yes they say input shaft is the same spline!!!!!!!!)
flywheel

RX7 S4/S5 parts: (they used S5)
gearbox(has removable bellhousing)
clutch fork/throw out bearing (same as b2600)

B2600 carby parts:
bell housing(bolts 2 starion (wideblock) engine block, rx7 g/box bolts 2 it)
clutch fork/throw out bearing (same as rx7)
clutch slave cylinder

CUSTOM PARTS:
tailshaft(front yoke RX7, rear half starion)
gearbox rear mount (custom made)

so there you have it, unconfirmed by myself of course but give me a little while 2 track down an early b2600 bellhousing and i`ll let u know. they`re not that common unfortunately. it has 2 be the mitsubishi copy b2600 8 valve carby, not the b2600i 12 valve efi type. part number AM0216210B apparently. will confirm that 2.

i have a broken input shaft s5 g/box out of tim`s cortina (did 9.90`s with this g/box so they`re pretty strong) in my posession already.

on the mk triton 2wd idea, they look 2 be promising, bellhousing pattern measures same, cant comment on splines etc yet.. but apparently they`re not cheap either as they stuff up in tritons....................
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Good work :beer It's definately something I'm keen to get done too, now what I'm hanging out for at the moment is to know the shifter position. The gearboxes aren't as pricey as I expected, so I'm keen as.

There is one other issue I did find though, diff ratios. RX7 uses a 4.3 diff, so probably a good idea to squeeze one of those 4.2 Mitsi gears in the diff to replace the 3.55, or at least a 3.909.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Well done :beer

My brother had a S4 RX7 that used to be an auto and he did a 5 speed converion on it and the gearing was sweet as. I say this because as far as I know the auto had a 3.9 ratio diff. It was a Jap import tho. Dont know if the ratios changed depending on where they were sold.

Keep up the good work guys!!!!!!!!!!!!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

starion has a 3.369 first gear, rx7 has a 3.483 first gear, the rest of the ratios are that close its not funny. other than the 5th gear of the rx7 being taller (lower revs) than a starion box, actually that is the only difference in ratios between a s4 and s5 is the 5th is slightly taller in a s5.

so the upshot is that fitting an rx7 box will give the starion a 1st gear launch similar to that which u would get with a 3.7 ratio, the rest being basically the same as a normal staz box.... other than 5th. and i believe the shifter location is spot on, again i`ll keep ya informed.. this is all giving me a big :D
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

so from reading this i have got out of it that:

1. a b2600 early model bell housing connects to the 2L starion block?

2. s4/5 rx7 gearing fits in this housing?

3. then you just need a custom tailshaft?
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

iXNAY wrote:so from reading this i have got out of it that:

1. a b2600 early model bell housing connects to the 2L starion block?

2. s4/5 rx7 gearing fits in this housing?

3. then you just need a custom tailshaft?
1. Definately a 2.6 Starion (same engine as B2600), and it has been said by many that the 2L and 2.6 gearboxes are compatable. So yes.
2. An RX7 TurboII gearbox definately bolts to the back of the B2600 bellhousing.
3. There is the possiblity of maybe just having to change the yoke, not the whole shaft!
4. You need a custom gearbox mount

As soon as I get money, I'm in :) I'll pay somebody to do it though.
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

ok i bought a bell housing clutch fork and throwout bearing from a b26 yesterday ($200 for it tho, the bastards! :glare: ) fitted straight onto the rx7 gearbox but there are 2 bolt holes in the b26 bell hsg u dont use (no worries tho as there are like 10).

Engine-bell hsg bolt pattern measures identical to the 2LT starion(wideblock) pattern. have yet to physically try it tho. so no go for ppl with narrow pattern engines like the evo and vr4 engines, but all good for staz engine blocks and 2.4 4G64 users.

have yet to sit a staz gearbox next to the rx7 setup and check length/shifter position issues, will do that next week and report.

ALL LOOKING GOOD, GUYS! :pimp

2000_turbo
Big Dorifto

Post by 2000_turbo »

SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

That picture makes me feel funny in pants.

I want one.
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Nice work people.

Are the bell housings very easy to get in Australia?? As I tryed finding one in New Zealand and have had no luck. All the wreckers say they are to old, they dont really stock stuff older than 1990. :glare: :glare: :glare:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

bell housings aren`t exactly EASY to get here, they`re around tho. but u pay for em! i have easy acces to one more if i need it... havn`t had a chance to check anything else out yet, been busy as at work...

2000_turbo
Big Dorifto

Post by 2000_turbo »

digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

i met a guy in ballina with a JA, he apparently had a pajero gearbox and pajero lsd in it... not sure if he was pulling it or if its tru... but its a thought...
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

unfortunately i`d say he was pulling it. correct model (unknown) pajero lsd hemisphere`s are rumoured to fit in starion diffs, but they`re rarer than a starion lsd. could be possible tho.

and the pajero gearbox is 4WD, so i`d say he`s off the money there. unless u can swap the extension housing and possibly output shaft over with little hassle but i doubt it..