Radiator upgrades?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Ben,

I've seen with my own eyes steam coming OUT of the vent at the front of the bonnet so it definately happens, but I don't think the reason has to do with the air scoop under the bumper as this is too far back. We went to the track and didn't bother putting the scoop under the bumper on. Due to insufficient airflow through the radiator the engine started to overheat and put steam out through the vent at the front of the bonnet, and this is without the air scoop fitted. I think the reason is because of the shape of the panel between the headlights that creates a high pressure area above and behind it. Naturally, behind that is a low pressure zone exactly where the air scoop is.

Also, the diagram clearly shows a high pressure zone at the back of the bonnet which is at it's peak exactly where the cabin intake vents are located. While normally air would be sucked out the back of the bonnet (due to Bernoulli's principle) the very high pressure at the back of the bonnet counteracts this at any meaningful speed. At very low speeds where laminar airflow is achieved across the bonnet surface then you would expect air to flow in the vent at the front of the bonnet and out at the raised rear of the bonnet.

Regards,
Jamie
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Jamie,

I am not disagreeing with you on those points of air coming "OUT" of the front bonnet vent. nor am I disagreeing with you about the high pressure area at the back of the bonnet.

But a high pressure at the back of the bonnet with the direct airflow straight over those vents and then up over the windshield would cause a suction from the back of the bonnet and if it were raised hot air would be sucked out of the engine bay. as oscar said.

I know the front scoop is useless, thats why mitsu canned it.
I mean no offence but I fail to see the debate stated in your previous post. I dunno maybe you mis-read my post?? anyways, look forward to a response.

Cheers
Ben
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

this is why a starion can flip down a straight at high speed.
Yeeha !!! I'd love to see that !!! :D :D :D
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Apparently the Starion that flipped in WA had no lower skirt at all. Flashin some of them ones! woot woot!
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Camotec wrote:But a high pressure at the back of the bonnet with the direct airflow straight over those vents and then up over the windshield would cause a suction from the back of the bonnet and if it were raised hot air would be sucked out of the engine bay. as oscar said.
That is the case at very low speed, at any other speed air will flow into the engine bay, not out of it (this is the reason that cars with factory bonnet vents have them half way down the bonnet, not near the back).

If your theory were correct then air would flow out of the HVAC vents at the base of the windscreen, but clearly this doesn't happen.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Hehe, I think we might have to agree to disagree :D
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

One of my Starions didn't have a front spoiler, but the previous owner had built and fitted an aluminium scoop under the front bumper to direct air to the radiator, like this:

Seems to work pretty well.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

That looks pretty good JPC, might be talking to you later :D do you still have it?
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Camotec wrote:That looks pretty good JPC, might be talking to you later :D do you still have it?
Yep. If you like I can take it off, take some more pics and get the dimensions.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

That would be great man, appreciate it.
edge
Lil' Dorifto

Post by edge »

Or you can do what i have done and cut some cool triangles in the frount . i had cooling problems to be for i done this [img] i dont know how to put pics on here but if you wanna see email me
Will

Post by Will »

edge wrote:Or you can do what i have done and cut some cool triangles in the frount . i had cooling problems to be for i done this [img] i dont know how to put pics on here but if you wanna see email me
Hey I saw your car in the latest Fast Fours. Welcome to the forums if it hasn't already been said.

I removed that panel from the car completely on the recent track day to help gain a bit more air flow. It helped a little, but the car still kept creeping up in temperature. However, someone (StarionChef I think?) did suspect that removing this panel would alter the handling of the car. Well, I didn't get a lot of laps in to be really sure, but the car did feel like it understeered a lot more than when it had the panel. On the last few laps of the day, I decided to throw the car around a bit for a bit of fun, but the front end wouldn't bite and pushed a lot more without some serious brake application to make it turn.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

There is a starion in the latest Hot4's??
cool going to get it tomorrow

Cheers
Ben
Will

Post by Will »

Don't get too excited Ben - its only a small article in the "Small Haulers" section. Fast Fours Jan 2005 - might not be on the news stands just yet - I nicked this copy from work.
edge
Lil' Dorifto

Post by edge »

i did send some pics to fast fours but we dont have it yet ive been waiting ages for that . thanks WILL thats the first welcom ive had