Twin Cam Engines

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

$25 vr4 rwd gearbox. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!
HAHAHAHAHAMUHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHEHEHOHOHOHOHOHHAHAHAHAAAA!!!
WOOOOOOHOOOOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!

sigma gearbox = to hard / no good.

i dont know what mine came out of but the gearbox you are looking for
has 3 holes on the top mount. looking at the input shaft there is one hole on the top left and 2 holes on the top right. is will take the starion rear cover, starion flywheel and starion starter motor. also seems to take starion gearset (bigger) and bigger bearings plus bigger input shaft. will let u all know later in the week if it all goes together..... oh, cable clutch, but hydraulic unit can be adapted it seems. have also found a 4wd gearbox to fit starion, also front diff and driveshafts... just need hubs now..... hrmmmmmmm 4wd, corda hubs mabey.....

so to recount, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

new gearbox all apart. MUHAHAHAHA!!!!!! IT FITS!!!! woooohooooo!

i dont want to pull my staz gearbox apart just yet, but i have measured bits like the bearings and gear sizes and i think it will all fit together nicely!

just need to make hydraulic clutch bracket, put box back together and that should be that............. i hope :oops:

Warranty void if stupid.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Scum,
any chance of some pictures? At least enough pictures so if we go to the importers we can at least identify the gearbox. Maybe a bellhousing shot front on and a side on shot.

cheers,
Mark.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Scum,
there was a 4WD Cordia Turbo (Japanese market only) I new a guy who rallied one in New Guinea. No centre diff as I recall like the early Subaru RX Turbo's.

cheers,
Mark.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Cordia 4WD boxes aren't strong though. If you could get it working in the Starion you'd want aftermarket gears/syncro's.

I've heard this from Cordia 1800 GSR owners. Gravel its mint, but tarmac (launches, hard accel) etc it breaks after a bit.

Oh and NZ has quite a few 4WD Cordia's.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Good ol' imports! we get all the fun cars :)
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

i got vr4 gearbox - i got vr4 gearbox - i got vr4 gearbox, and it fits, cha-cha-cha! :mrgreen:

no 4wd cordia box here, this one is a starion rwd gearbox, with a short tailshaft going into a 4wd transfer case. then tailshaft to the back and one up the left hand side of the engine. there is a small diff that bolts in next to the engine so it can keep the std rwd sump setup and has 2 drive shafts of equal length and one extension shaft with a bearing on the end and a socket for the rhs driveshaft. am thinking of buying it, but have no $$$ at the moment. :( (my $25 one is only rwd... :cry: )

pics at lunch time or end of day. but i found about 3 different boxes on the weekend that have the same front houseing, ALL have the 3 hole bolt patern on the top.

Warranty void if stupid.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

sorry, no pics today, metal stuck in eye, thing pulled out and patch stuck on. hurts. going home. :cry:

Warranty void if stupid.
Midnightblue
[L] Plates

vr4 is good

Post by Midnightblue »

vr4 is good but if u can swallow ur pride u might want to look into getting sr20det. the conversion is much easier and potential for power is great. with many bolt on aftermarket parts that would make power way over 260kw atw without changing internals, ive got red top in my staz and have never looked back
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Sequel

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

Have you heard they are making a sequel to Indian Jones and the last crusade. Its called Indiana Jones and the Vr4. Indi travels into the desert and finds an old mechanic guarding the sacred Vr4 in a cave. He has to choose wisely and decide which oil to put in the engine. the right oil and he gets to take the engine home and bolt it into his Starion without ANY modifications to the ECU, exhaust, intake manifold, water inlet, gearbox etc. If he chooses poorly he actually has to face REALITY people and he discovers that the VR4 is not the cup of Christ and that an extra cam does not bestow the owner with magical powers. He also discovers that for the all the money he blew on the Vr4 installation he could have been making way more power with the old SOHC and some sensible modifications. Smelling salts anyone.
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

hehe, daz, are you sure from all your posts your not actually jelous of vr4s? just a bit too much effort in ur anti-vr4 posts. i know u want to tell them theres a lot to modify to get it on but youd be more effective saying what these modifications are.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Grrrrrrrrr

Saying what they are ? Ive been screaming it from the rooftops for years now but nobody seems to listen. They all think its this wonderful magic engine that just falls into the engine bay by itself. So far 200hp at only 4200 at the wheels and soon to be dynoed with new cam and water/meth injection no I dont think jealousy is my VR4 emotion.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

just suggesting how u could be more effective. screaming from rooftops may not be the best way thats all.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Sure

I didnt mean I was actually screaming. Look I have said this before and I will say it again. A lot of the guys here are young blokes starting out who are keen on their cars. Good on em. I just hate seeing these young blokes spend money they can not afford on a useless conversion. Why do you think Cookie and I dont have them ? They are not cost effective. If the standard VR4 with MPI and twin cam only put out 20 kw over the sohc then I dont think it is a worthwhile conversion for 10,000 bucks.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Maybe your hearing aid isn't turned up enough Daz. :D