HELP! I miss driving my starion :(

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

www.18u wrote:With age comes wisdom :P Listen to the old boy, he speaks the truth!

Thrash,
degrease the engine bay! It's killing me just looking at it. Check your balancer if there is a wobble, the rubber may be coming out or the keyway on your crankshaft may be flogged out.
Most of my wisedom has come thru bitter experience & $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :( so at times you will need some of this :beer to help you keep going LOL
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Thanks for all the help guys! you're all the best!!

Tomsun, sorry, i shoulda been more specific with my question.. oldie hit the nail on the head.. the hole is for the balance shaft to make sure it's sitting the right way - i believe they spin twice as fast as the crank eh, so the notch will line up twice for every crankshaft rotation.. so you're meant to check if it's lined up or it it's 180 degrees from being lined up. Also, I payed the guy, but only for parts, and the few things that he DID do right, such as fix a leak in one of the wheels.

Oldie (or anyone else lol), if a magnet won't work, how would i tell if they are metal or not?

18u, last time i degreased my engine, it started bleeding oil from multiple wounds :P so i've been putting off degreasing this one until i have the time and money to deal with the problems that may arise.. but i will give it a clean up soon - almost ready to mpi the sucker :beer

i tell you what sucks.. i recently started reading some of the posts by a previous owner of this car (thanks to hoony for telling me who it was), and it turns out the motor was rebuilt at 187000 kms, so if this is the same engine and hasn't been replaced since, i didn't need to do the timing built or 200,000km major service on it in the first place :S The damn thing's only done 23000kms :glare:
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Hey Hey now Shannon wha'ts all this OLD BOY stuff :glare: :x I'm really just a boy at heart :) :beer
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Hey Hey now Shannon wha'ts all this OLD BOY stuff I'm really just a boy at heart

:P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

just an update - took the 'key' out.. seems there's a fair bit of damage.. the key and the hole are both majorly distorted

also i didn't realise the 'key' was just thit tiny little part circle.. thought it's be bigger and go in deeper towards the crank..

apologies about the lack of clarity in the photos

quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Gotta spare crankshaft?
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

no way to fix that without swapping out the crank eh? so pretty much a rebuild :S

*cries*
quest wrote:
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Mate, he has farked your motor. Whats the plan from here. I would just go to pick and payless and get a crank out of a van, itll be the cheapest way out, unless you can find a cheap motor
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

devcon would be a temporary fix, but you'd have to change the crank later..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I would be pissed!!!

Buy this and sell all your other parts... This is perfect... As you were planning on doing a MPI conversion.
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.php?t=11293
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

lol, nah, this is not the mechanic's fault. it had the balancer wobble since i bought the car.. probably something the previous owner decided not to tell me about.. always thought it was the balancer itself. This problem probably also explains why it would idle really rough and misfire at times, but then run perfectly other times.

I have a spare engine. Tomsun, you saw it when you came over to pick up some parts.. you told me it had the non-jetvalve head, remember?

So, I will do a leakdown test on that engine to see what condition it is in, and if good, i'll just swap it over.. if not good.. then i will take the crank out of it.

If the motor is upside down, can i take off the sump, undo the main bearings and then remove the crank without moving the pistons? or is that an extremely bad idea?
quest wrote:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

redzone wrote:devcon would be a temporary fix, but you'd have to change the crank later..
oh, and what's devcon?
quest wrote:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yes you can swap the crank like that.

devcon is a 2 part epoxy metal equivalent of araldite :D
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

argh starions cost so much money... sometimes i wish i could be happy with something cheap and new and slow and with fewer problems..

how does this kinda thing happen? is it just wear and tear and happens to every engine? I've never heard of it before..
quest wrote:
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

thrash wrote:
redzone wrote:devcon would be a temporary fix, but you'd have to change the crank later..
oh, and what's devcon?
It's the same stuff that was used to bog up the standard inlet ports in rotaries when going periferal ports
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63