Changing camshaft

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
4gpwr
I love starions

cam

Post by 4gpwr »

Off the top off my head I think stock cams drop off about 5200 rpm .

As for cam grinds its a rocket science in itself , in my personal experience the cam spec sheet supplied with my reground sohc camshaft was over rated , even though I had a very little base circle on the cam to the point where the tappet adjustment nuts where at the very end of the thread .

As for camshaft choice , there isn't that much . I would not recommend regrinding a original turbo grind starion cam , regrind a na cam and compare the difference .
4Gs Rule
cheaterparts
I love starions

Re: cam

Post by cheaterparts »

4gpwr wrote:
I had a very little base circle on the cam to the point where the tappet adjustment nuts where at the very end of the thread .
you could have put the nuts under the rocker I have had to do this before
I as you know I run N/A in the sigma so the cams are a bit bigger and now run swivel ball adj screws ( made by SCAT Performance for VW ) to keep a better contact on the valve
where as the std screws were running a long way off the centre of the valve
hopefully there is a little less side load with these VW parts
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
quest
I love starions

Re: cam

Post by quest »

4gpwr wrote:A reground cam is still a small cam , 300 hp at the flywheel is easy , I did that with a stock cam , 300 hp at the wheels I just hit with a regrind cam , before I bined the sohc , after that it just hit a wall and didnt want to more pwr , even with more boost , if I retarded the cam timming it would have made it more lagey , It could of picked up top end but at the cost of driveabilaty .
what turbo, what boost and what hp did you hit the wall ?
what rpms did the motor 'pull' to ?
If the cam timing was the limiting factor, I suppose that tradeoff is expected... as you'll always encounter, with any small displacemnt motor, sohc or dohc.
A necessary evil with cam choice, turbo size, etc..
thrash wrote:is it worth upgrading cam if i don't plan on pushing the engine past 6k rpm?
this rally grind seems like it would make the most of your motor under 6k. Quick spinup equals more torque (or area under the curve), hence better driveability.
starspeed wrote:like any rally cam , and there's no turbo lag its made a big difference
what turbo specs, how much psi
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

zippo wrote:the wade grind is not a small cam when tweeked with an adjustable cam gear , and re worked rocker gear
how is that done.... change the rocker ratio by adapting other arms ?
...and the adj gear makes the cam "bigger" by shifting the hp higher in the revs ?

"rally" grind sounds like a different flavour if the turbo really "spools very early and rips right past 6800 with ease". Seems like the ideal street grind.
Should add an interesting twist, and at least make for a torquey street car. Don't understand why they're not more popular, especially at that price.
I'd really like to try it as well as the stg 2 camtech.... for comparison.

should we need a bigger cam or really expect any better when a camtech stage 2 can hit 342hp @21psi only from that turbo ? Are the twincams any more efficient than that ?
Or will bigger cams send power beyond 7500, make for a more peaky (and stressed out) sohc powerplant ?

what valvesprings do you guys run.... with the rally and stg2 cam ?
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

std valve springs , they do the trick, but please use new ones , the cspec sheet recomends the same sping pressure as what is standard , you will know then they are due for new ones , i also run a metal head gasket , so i can re use it over and over , when the heads off i get it all checked out.

the rockers are sloted in some way and the ends are moded like the magna ball end type , thus creating a roller rocker type , any competent engine machine shop can make them .

no demand for them . not many people run a sohc.
Wade are an old school company , they deal mostly with trade engine people and reco blokes , they have been around for years , and are magic at what they do , google them and give em a call .
mine cost 80 plus gst about 15 months ago .

cheap mod for little money if you can replace it your self .
but as you know , once the rocker cover is off where do you stop your self??
old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........