Turbo only spooling sometimes

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

are you running a T-piece type gated boost bleed valve ?
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

Dont know man its a stock turbo though.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

What area do you live in?
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

Rola wrote:I have a procomp boost gauge which reads boost up to 30pounds. It says that the turbo vaccums at 20 is this normal? (turbo is wound up to 10)
Sounds normal to me!
Rola wrote:Didnt get to test out 3rd gear much because the max speed limit near my place is 80km/h on the highway but it seems if i spool in second i cant spool in 3rd and if i spool in 1st i cant spool in 2nd and 3rd (it spools up really late (4500) or not at all)
Sounds a bit like after the wastegate actuator has opened to keep the turbo from going over 10psi, it's not closing properly. As starion_turbo said, i had a similair problem on mine, although i had a boost controller set at max, didn't get any boost in 1st, but started to build some late in the other gears (wastegate basically open the whole time).
_

Post by Rola »

Hmm well im taking it to flav tommorow, he will sort it out... i live in the brighton area btw.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

all the times you used spool.. i was getting confused...
everywere you have used the word "spool" it should be boost"
spool is just a tern people use when refering to when the turbo is spinning... eg my turbo spools up quicky or my turbo spools up late...

but boost is when you start to make positive manifold pressure eg above 0psi on you gauge. and this is what you are really interested in... BOOST :D
1985 JB Starion #157
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

Turns out the car was just low on oil... :S geuss the oil pressure gauge isnt very accurate.
Floorit
The one and only

Post by Floorit »

yeh man i had the same problen exept the oil gage stayed in the same place turned out i was lookin at the amp one LOL
you rock mate we shoud hook up an shair storys sumtime you soun like a cleva guy
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

I'm pretty sure the oil pressure gauge isn't there to tell you what the oil level is, you'd have to completly empty the sump to have it read zero pressure. Good thing you caught that in time, hopefully it hasn't caused any damage.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Low on oil? Was the turbo begining to seize or something?
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Hope not, that's an expensive rebuild.
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

Hmm yeh, i must check the oil pressure more often.

What i think was happening is that the turbo wasnt boosting up quick enough because it didnt have enough lubrication because of the oil. If i boosted it hard in first it would spin hard, then in second when i took my foot of the accelerator to change gears the turbo would slow down, i would hit second and there wouldn't be enough lubrication to get it spinning back to the speed it would have in normal situations (i.e from first at 10 pounds, change to second the turbo should be running about 5 pounds but was running zero because it had slowed down during the gear change due to lack of lubrication).

Running great now though.
yeh man i had the same problen exept the oil gage stayed in the same place turned out i was lookin at the amp one hahahahaha
you rock mate we shoud hook up an shair storys sumtime you soun like a cleva guy
Ha ha, yeh sounds good, my amp gauge stays in the same place also (and so does my friends, i think they are all broken), it was flav who diagnosed the problem btw, he went for a spin, got to the service station told me to pump up one of the tyres (which was the only tyre that was low on pressure) then told me the car needed more oil.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Thats strange that oil can affect boost like that, i would have thought that if there wasnt enough lubrication the turbo would just seize rather than not making boost once and awhile. Maybe the extra pressure you put in the wheel with low pressure translated to extra pressure at the manifold :D
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

oil pressure gauge is only there to let you know A) if the oil pump is working, B) how well it is working i.e variation in pressure

not much other use

as for problems encountered with oil ive experienced some interesting stuff with my starion (my first turbo car)

Was using the oil it had in it while it was sitting around for 2 years without being run, ran it on that oil and boost was crap lagged, etc

did a fluids change the other week, and boy what a difference, can actaully feel the turbo has freed up

the old oil was clagged up prety bad, thick and chunky in the driptray... yuck. will be changing it every 4-5000 from now on. also changing it again next week just to be sure all that old stuffed oil is out of it.
1983 JA Staz
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

i had a similar problem

ended up being missing half the fins off the exhaust wheel- did exactly what you described, had my boost set at about 12psi and it wouldnt get there until just shy of 5000rpm and it felt absolutely gutless.

as the others have said, pull the turbo off and have a look at the wheels!
gordonspec® racing