OMG.......why has no-one made an adaptor plate for the t/b ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/sydneysta ... XTIME.html

There are pics here. Angelfire hates linking.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Link fixed.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
DonnVito
I like starions more

Post by DonnVito »

both my pipes run through the same side (passenger) of the radiator support panel, one over the top of the other.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

NXTIME, those bends are far too harsh and are exactly what we are trying to avoid with what we are talking about.

we are talking shortest distance/least bends possible, not a harsh as hell 90 degree blockage at the TB.
1983 JA Staz
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I doubt that you will feel any noticeable difference due to the tight bends, but that silicon bend is actually a tight radius item that retains its internal diameter and cannot be replicated with a mandrel bend, hence its use. It's not perfect, but it was done 10 years ago and definitely works. As for blockage, I was seeing boost at 2,500rpm with full boost before 4K using a 60mm TO4B with 0.70 a/r turbine.

The point is, it is alot neater and is a solution other than rotating the top injection on the stock eci system (as that wont effectively work).
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
starion007
Big Dorifto

Post by starion007 »

I don't have a photo but when I installed my ic I ran the two pipes from the ic through the left hand side of the radiator support then between the thermo fans and the engine pulleys and up over the front of the motor just on the right of the oil filler cap. When the pipes were ontop of the rocker cover one went left to the turbo and the other went right to the t/b .It was a JB.
The only issue I had with this set uo is that the pipe that went into the T/B would rub slightly rub on the under bonnet insulation . This could have been fixed by slightly squashing the offending pipe in a vice.
THE QUEST , THE SEARCH
THE NEED FOR SPEED !!!!!
SOWTZ
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by SOWTZ »

Isn’t there some theory that each 90° bend drops efficiency by like 3% and each foot of pipe 2%? Not sure if the numbers are correct but I did read it somewhere.
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

its 25% per 90 degree bend of energy. think of it this way.

you know those things you get when you were a kid, and you put the ball bearing in the top and it goes through a maze then comes out? well evertime that ball hit a wall, had to fall then go the other direction there was a delay.

its the same with air, every 90 degree bend is effectively a wall it has to hit and be pushed past by the air being forced behind it. you lose effective energy and increase lag.

put pressure sensors at each end and see the difference drop.
1983 JA Staz
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

That is only true with flat cut bends. Mandrel bends contain the same internal diameter, and there is no way in hell you'd lose 25% efficency with a proper 90 degree mandrel bent pipe. If that theory was true, you wouldn't be able to get vacuum cleaners with bendable pipes, as soon as you made a bend the vac would change speed all the time!! The vac only changes speed if you change the internal diameter of the pipe by folding it.

Id be much more concerned about two of my cylinders leaning out at a higher rate than with the factory system. If you rotated the throttle body by 180 degrees, you would not have to worry about that, and you'd only have one 90 degree bend instead of three.

At the end of the day the change in lag and horsepower gained wont be spectacular becuase you remove a bend. If you beleive that, then you'll love Roger's Cordia.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
SOWTZ
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by SOWTZ »

I believe air would work a bit different to the ball, hence the ball is a solid and the air is a gas. Look at pic. SpidersWeb is right.
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Any cons in using the stock intercooler setup?
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

i see your point, press bend would be how i said.

but you would still lose some airspeed with bends woudnt you? however wouldnt be as drastic as i said.

i didnt mean to come across badly/
1983 JA Staz
igottasicjb
I like starions more

Post by igottasicjb »

air flowing through an enclosed (pipe bends or no bends) flows in laminar form, which means the air molecules line up and flow in layers at different speeds. bends in a pipe really don't have much effect on the pressure or flow of the air due to its laminar flow. the biggest restriction inside a pipe is actually the walls of the pipe straight or bent the have the same effect.
surface or skin friction causes the air to slow down and this creates a "boundary layer" (a layer of air aabout 1-1.5cm high at right angles to the skin surface) which moves alot slower that the air above it. this is why dust and dirt doesn't get blown off your car even if you doing 200kmh down the highway.

as for airflow drops around a bend complete bullshit no such thing.

because airflow is laminar the air traveling on the inside of the bend radius will slow down because it has less distance to travel and the air travelling on the outside of the bend radius will speed up( more distance). as it speeds up air pressure is drops but flow doesn't change because the airflow that slows down(inside of bend radius) has a higher pressure which then eqaulizes with the lower pressure as the bend stops and becomes straight pipe again.

Chryzla metioned pressure drops at the inlet manifold side of intercooler pipes.

this is because you intercooler has cooled the air and air contracts(becomes more dense) as it gets colder, so there has to be a pressure drop or your intercooler isn't working.
boost = the replacement for displacement
<<<PIGS can fly
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

ok ill shut up now.

but still curvy pipes at non 90 degree angles are best in my books.

im doing my cooler setup the way i like, granted nobody is slinging shit on anyone here, everyone is entitles to their own logic/ ideas.

i do see the points being valid, and i will research it further before i make my cooler piping.
1983 JA Staz
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

you can also fit a 90 deg steel mandrel bend coming off the tb and still clear the oil cap.