SAFCs

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

SAFC = really expensive way of messing with a 1 signal that goes to the ecu.
Jaycar airflow controller = cheaper way of acheiving the same result
Someone who knows a little about electronics = dirt cheap way of achieving exactlty the same result.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yeah, also with the SAFCII not lifting boost cut, and the factory computer doing a capable job until it hits the injector cut, there is little point.

At the price, just save more money, get a Wolf or Microtech etc, then you never have to worry about fooling the ECU, or ignition or fueling systems ever again.

But up to the owner I guess, some people like the easy method of fuel adjustments.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

CussCuss wrote:SAFC = really expensive way of messing with a 1 signal that goes to the ecu.
But you get a totally wankerish LCD screen...
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

possibly why total wankers buy them... (cept camotec of course... :D )
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

gotrice? wrote: s-afc thats an apexi item isn't
some people do read posts...... :D
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

Cookiemonster wrote:
CussCuss wrote:SAFC = really expensive way of messing with a 1 signal that goes to the ecu.
But you get a totally wankerish LCD screen...
you guys really know how to demolish a perfectly expensive & complicated idea with a $25 DIY kit..... I'm shocked :shock:
rofl
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Lots of u.s. 2.6 starquests run the safc. I brought up the idea years ago, now folks are running bigger injectors (like 2 secondaries) and wire in the dsm mass airflow sensor. Very good results.
Another staz option is the $200usd 'translator' unit lets you tune your fuel curve. GM junkyard mafs (extremely low restriction) used, that can mount ahead of turbo or in front of throttle body. Works well.

SAFC are found on 400hp and 11sec dsms with stock ecu and stock motor internals - outstanding for a 3000+ pound daily driven 2L street car, eh. safc used combined with a $150 datalogger - a potent combination for the money, don't you think? 11sec sr20 s13s use em also. You won't find a more popular tuning device (in the u.s) simply because its proven itself
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

But don't forget 2.6 US starions don't have a MAP sensor.
So it all depends on how much can you manipulate with the S-afc in between your MAF while boostin.
You'd also need something like a wideband to adjust to to exactly the right settings.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

quest wrote:Lots of u.s. 2.6 starquests run the safc. I brought up the idea years ago, now folks are running bigger injectors (like 2 secondaries) and wire in the dsm mass airflow sensor. Very good results.
Another staz option is the $200usd 'translator' unit lets you tune your fuel curve. GM junkyard mafs (extremely low restriction) used, that can mount ahead of turbo or in front of throttle body. Works well.

SAFC are found on 400hp and 11sec dsms with stock ecu and stock motor internals - outstanding for a 3000+ pound daily driven 2L street car, eh. safc used combined with a $150 datalogger - a potent combination for the money, don't you think? 11sec sr20 s13s use em also. You won't find a more popular tuning device (in the u.s) simply because its proven itself
Money would be better spent going towards a complete standalone ECU rather than a LCD screen mounted on your dash. Thats my beef... a lot of people are buying these products for the 'look'.

Someone explain this bright blue screen that you could mount on the front of your car to cut through the fog.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

standalone not necessarily the go for *most* street cars.
Far more money and more complex learning curve..... wor$$$e if you have to pay somebody to tune it. safc users d.i.y.
A mid 11sec heavy 2L, stock motor'd/ stock ecu 400hp street car will satisfy most goals, eh.
safc retails ~$275usd new, ~$235 group buy and $100-200 used. Add the datalogger and u spend under $450. Won't come close to the oe quality operating characteristics with any standalone for that money. A tuned piggyback remains transparent. Majority of enthusiasts buy the afc because of its proven dollar value/capabilities... those who get it for looks, I dunno how those sorta folks 'think' :)
Lots of folks only pull out the safc to tune, then put it away afterwards. The blue screen may get annoying as well as the unit will lure thieves.

Early u.s. starions have the same electronics (map) as the 2.0. I've owned both. Starquestclub members have figured how to wire in the safc, the 88/9 ecu (staged injectors) and the dsm mafs to early staz.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

What about one of those mega squirt ECU's?, have the best at a price of 190NZD, all you have to do is solder
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would clear a few things up. the Apexi Unit will work with the karmann vortex LF Signal. The Cheaper Jaycar Item however does not work with the LF Signal. I have been speaking to Simon Maurice of Silicone Chip and some other guy from there about this and he was going to try and organise a convertor box to allow hotwire sensors to be used on a starion (they exist in America already) that way we could all run VL turbo style sensors and remove the karmann vortex style sensor all together. Anyways the main reason he is doing this is cause I was the first person to bring it to his attention that most mitsubishis (older ones, and some newer ones) run LF Signal air flow meters.

And Tricking the ECU is not a bad thing, just another way of doing things. It all electronics. (Thats what piggy backs do) Just an Interceptor style ecu
mod.

As for the wankerish screen, from what i have seen and used. although it glows blue, it is very easy to use and has alot of load points and the ability to throw a bit more fuel in on the fly so you can tune while driving. I believe the screeen can be dimmed and switched off too.

Anyways, My 2 cents
Cheers
Ben
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

I'm with Cookie these piggy back systems have real limitations. On an older car like the Starion aftermarket ECU is the way to go. Anyone who has done a lot of tuning like me will tell you the same thing.

On a late model car there may be other reasons why a piggy back system is the best compromise.

I don't see any reason why the Jaycar system should not work fine. The Japs are WAY behind in this stuff and WAY overpriced. Jap performance gear maybe expensive in the US but's it SUPER expensive in Australia due to the exchange rate. Gee some of the Jap stuff now has laptop software WOW only 15 years behind us.

Build a Megasquirt guy's if you want to have a go. The Starion works well with "fuel only" the factory ignition system with knock sensor will work fine by itself. Note: talking about OZ spec cars here all ours had map sensors.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

MRB i agree with you about that 100%

except for the bit about the Jaycar project. main reason is cause the jaycar project only works with 0-5v and 0-12v hotwire type signals, where the starion signal is a frequency signal like a sine wave frequency which the jaycar package dosen't recognise. (unless there is somthing you know that i don't man, if you know somthing tell me damnit!!)

Nothing beats an aftermarket ecu for being able to modify the tune of an engine in a much wider range of areas.

However the Apexi SAFC2 is a great setup for interceptors in my opinion and it will be the one i use if I don't get this other system up and running well. it is a limited setup but being able to give up to 50% more or less fuel at any 500rpm increment is pretty good in my opinion (in saying this i will probably hook up a wideband sensor and guage to measure the AF Ratio.

but apart from that mrb i agree with you 100% hehe :D

Cheers
Ben
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

True , but don't forget , the standard ECU is still restricted by the fuel cut @ 50% duty cycle , so by tricking the ECU to supply more fuel will only bring the cut in earlier. There is NO magic controller / box that will work on our AUS ECU's because of this fact. If you want more fuel at or above the ECU's limit , then u need a new ECU.