HELP rebuilding the engine

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Yes, both are available new.

If you have no luck sourcing them locally, let me know. I sell parts (new) for a living and can see how much freight will be.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Aero the 8.5 pistons will be fine (I have 8.7 and 17 psi )The forged pistons are lighter so the engine will be more responsive and rev faster.
They will be fine when you get a larger turbo in the future and the bigger turbo will not have to work as hard to flow the same amount of air as a smaller turbo so the outlet air temperature from the compressor will be cooler.
When you add boost it increases the dynamic compression ratio due to more air being ingested than a non turbo motor so as an example from the Wallace boost calculator
7.4 CR + 15psi = 14.95-1 cr = say 200 hp atw
8.7 CR + 10psi = 14.42-1 cr = " 200 hp atw
Hope this is of some help to you :)
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Aero-R
[P] Plates

Post by Aero-R »

1320ft wrote:Yes, both are available new.

If you have no luck sourcing them locally, let me know. I sell parts (new) for a living and can see how much freight will be.
Yeah mate, give me amounts for each one because maybe yours are cheaper than the ones locally and who knows if my friends prefers to ship them from Australia. Give me a price when possible and I'll be back with his answer. Do you work with a shop/website or something? (this is just for show him something in which he can trust). Thanks in advance!
OLD FART wrote:Aero the 8.5 pistons will be fine (I have 8.7 and 17 psi )The forged pistons are lighter so the engine will be more responsive and rev faster.
They will be fine when you get a larger turbo in the future and the bigger turbo will not have to work as hard to flow the same amount of air as a smaller turbo so the outlet air temperature from the compressor will be cooler.
When you add boost it increases the dynamic compression ratio due to more air being ingested than a non turbo motor so as an example from the Wallace boost calculator
7.4 CR + 15psi = 14.95-1 cr = say 200 hp atw
8.7 CR + 10psi = 14.42-1 cr = " 200 hp atw
Hope this is of some help to you :)
I get your point mate. I was just afraid that the higher compression ratio I'll get plus a higher boost in the future (if I change the turbo in the future) would blow the engine. I just don't know how much this thing resist. My engine has overheated like 10 times, so that's why I think it's better to replace pistons+rings+rods even if the stock ones look OK for now (but now that I'll open the engine, lets do the things right and one time only). I just hope crankshaft is not needed to be replaced.