Running really rich

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah I was a little worried too but it could be a number of things. I tends to puff out when I blip the throttle. I know the turbo seals are shot but it didn't smoke until it warmed up and only on vacuum/deaccelerating too. The valve stem seals also weren't replaced due to not finding a set in time, the head has actually been rebuilt in the past as it was clean throughout and had numbers manually engraved into the rocker arms and assembly etc but the head had been sitting a number of years after that so the valve stem seals could have dried up and been damaged when first turned over again with a lack of oil. I would be quite gutted if that were the case! The rings are Hastings rings and the whole bottom end was assembled by a professional engine shop and they're happy to stand behind their work, so I would say if it were the rings they would sort it out. I need to get the cooling system sorted out before I can really take it for a drive to run it in. Oh yeah the DASH solenoid isn't been given power at the moment so it is running on 12V at all times, perhaps I should get it sorted so it just runs on 8V for when idling. I have purchased a Jaycar frequency switch just for this if I am going to use the original Galant GT loom/ECU rather than the DASH ECU and made up loom, or aftermarket ECU with an output.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
kushman
Big Dorifto

Post by kushman »

i spoke to a mitsy mechanic in wellington who told me the dash engine runs the small inlet valves at idle , then the ecu trigers the solinoid to bring up oil pressure to the biger valves at 2500 rpm ( so unpluged its gona be running smaller inlet valves all the time)

sound right?
geting my dash head back on monday dipped with a slight port n polish new valve seals

keen to know more about the dash setup
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

hey kushman, I was going to write a post saying how it was my understanding it was the opposite, that the DASH setup actuates the smaller of the two valves, and that when the solenoid is energised, it cuts oil flow to the DASH rocker arm, but apon looking at the photos it is indeed the largest of the two valves which gets actuated, and I also now recall that when turning the engine over not running with the rocker cover off, the larger valve just sinks into the DASH rocker arm as the sliding locking pin/tab isn't engaged. I think I've just had a 'eureka!' moment as up until now, my engine appears to run OK but does not boost more than 2psi, it feels like it has a massive block in the system, or at least a boost leak. I wasn't going to worry so much as I was going to run an aftermarket ECU and custom inlet manifold arrangement on it.

I think I'll wire up the DASH solenoid and see how it goes now, will keep you posted!

Anyhow here are the pics

ImageImage
kushman
Big Dorifto

Post by kushman »

good stuff dirty!

that small injectors and port runners are tinny , id quess youd be drawing in about 1/3 of the volume of air that it should be (after 2500K) and the injectors are happily pumping far to much fuel maybe? could be ya running rich problem..

also the low volume off air/fuel plus the dash,s very low 7.5:1 ratio id also think ya just aint got the puff to spool ya turbo past 2psi ?
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

mine has 8.5:1 CR, it has HKS oversized forged pistons.
ImageImage
kushman
Big Dorifto

Post by kushman »

Ive got a spare dash inlet manifold so i was thinking about boring it out to 60 maybe 65 mill and adapting a vr4 throtle body?
also since injectors fire at the same time maybe repostion them half way down each runner . what ya think?
[img]damn%20%20cant%20%20upload%20pics![/img]
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

From what i read the second inlet valves activate when you take away the voltage from the selonoid. Also the injection is sequential, but i havent confirmed this.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah I too thought that the ECU energizes the solenoid below 2500rpm to 'disengage' the extra valves, except when turning the engine over manually those sliding locking pins don't engage the third valves and they don't open, although I suppose that once the engine runs there is oil pressure in the head from the secondary cam operated oil pump, therefore deliverying oil to the locking pins and engaging the extra valves, and when the ECU supplies power to the solenoid below 2500rpm, the oil flow is diverted away therefore disengaging the pins.
ImageImage