US td06 20G turbos for $1,363 AU dollaaaar

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Dont forget that these turbo's will perform differently on the starions sohc motor, the twincam head breaths alot more air, thus spooling the turbo more efficiently. Also take into account, the starions greater weight and taller gearing.
Ford G6ET 458wkws
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

hmmmmmm
I'm curious about the difference of how a turbo will behave on the sohc vs dohc. I really don't think that head 'flow' number advantage is as exaggerated as claimed in term of 'real world' performance, unless you want to rev to 8k+, but why? Low to midrange is where most motors spend the majority of time and strong power there contributes tremendously to the driving experience.
For example, on starquest club a *ported* 2.6 head could not flow 2/3 of a stock dohc 2.0L head. So you'd think not even the 0.6L displacement could offset that... not the case, far from it in fact. Mod for mod, the cars are pretty even. A t04b/60-1/stg3/0.63 is proven 'laggy' on the 2.0L dohc and complaints of boost fallout at gearchanges. A 2.6 spins that very same turbo up like its a little t25... lotsa wheelspin in 1st and 2nd - huge difference. Same 2.6 ran 12.4s, 15psi on pump gas. For all those dohc advocates, I invited them to compare any same weight DSM that can match the performance @15psi.
I'm thinking the smaller port has a higher velocity, and cylinder filling gives it the lungs to spool up similiar turbos quite well... look at NXTIME t04b for instance.
I own both 2.0Ls dohc and sohc and believe it or not I prefer the sohc, for various reasons. I'll put the extra effort into it because 2 valve motors can perform excellent. My buick v6 was proof. Instead of concentrating on head flow numbers and hi rpms, just enhance your low and midrange - result is one of the lowest cost to mod, easiest full wt. daily driven 10sec cars in history. I'll throw that same philosophy at the 2.0 sohc.

awd DSMs weigh more than even the widebody starions, ~200 lbs on some
dhump
[L] Plates

importing turbo

Post by dhump »

Ive been looking at importing a us hybrid turbo for some time now. Slowboy racing, Precision and other companies are selling these hybrid garrets that bolt onto Mitsu manifolds.

Been looking at a 50 trim T04E with T3 exhaust to replace my hiflow TC06 with t04B V trim comp and backcut exhaust.

My tc06 has really bad boost creep probs - have tried enlargening the wastegate passage and have a separate dump but no difference.

How much can i expect to pay in customs duty? Also, are there any pitfalls with delivery and buying a turbo from the US??
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Customs duty is 10% + 13% (Automotive duty) whic is quite expensive.

To avoid this, pay to have your turbo sent by Global Express Mail (EMS) which has full Internet tracking, but you can't insure it (otherwise you only pay the 10%) and make sure the company that sends it writes it value down $50US or so and describe it as a 'gift' or 'electrical item' as if I remember correctly, they are free of any extra duty.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

dhump,
so what happens with your boost creep? How much boost are you running?
dhump
[L] Plates

boost creep

Post by dhump »

no matter what the boost is set at, as soon as the revs go past 5000rpm, the boost rises with the revs past 20psi. dont know what else to do other than replace turbo or go external wastegate.

Car was dynoed at 120kw at wheels at 8psi at max rpm of 5000rpm before boost creep sets in.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

What form of boost control are you using?
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
dhump
[L] Plates

Post by dhump »

have tried everything from standard setup (hose from turbo to cannister - no bleed) to even disconnecting the actuator from the wastegate flap, leaving the flap open all the time.

The wastegate simply cannot bypass enought exhaust gas.

I didnt have this prob with the old engine, but as soon as the new engine went in (stroked, ported head etc.) the prob surfaced. Obviously the new engine is flowing more air.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

dhump,
if you get a turbo shipped all the way from the u.s. I'd make sure its a brand new unit, so as to minimize the chance of failures. It would suck to have to send it all the way back from oz. There are lots of turbo failures from even the most 'reputable' vendors.

Starion has a different flange/stud setup vs the evo/vr4 type... not a direct bolt-up.
Are you still using the stock starion exhaust manifold.... or is this even a starion we're talking about here ?
Sound like you would be running a custom exhaust manifold for this level of performance.

evoIII 16g had lots of creep issues with 3" exhaust. Some just stuck with 2.5" exhaust and controlled it that way, while others just let it creep and tuned for it. (one full wt. 3300# dsm just ran 11.9s on an evo 16 btw)
Porting the ENTRY to the wastegate passage solved the creep for others. A bigger flapper and porting the discharge hole didn't help any.
There are some detailed photos on a 3 page thread on this forum;
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/forumdi ... ysprune=-1
gotta go a few pages back... titled "evo16 boost creep" or something like that. I got the photos on my pc that I can email you. It might help you port the staz turbine housing with success.

I know of folks running precision turbos with internal wastegates and no creep whatsoever. Here is one
http://www.sdsefi.com/features/nov03probe.htm
I think their 50trim is ~$700 brand new

What exactly is your setup ? what hp goal ?
Rassy
I like starions

Turb's

Post by Rassy »

Sorry that I havn't got back sooner, an this might not make sence cause i'm writing this up before i go to work an havn't had a chance to read through everything,

I my only goal was to be able to have enough power to hit it at "100k's" an have it light up in the dry. from what I gatherd about the T04E with the wright set up sounds like the go. An I've always wanted to keep away from TC06 from creating boost creep that was the other reason for looking at the TD06. pluss I don't see the point in going through an buying 3-4 turbos before I get the one Im happy with an will do the job I want it to.

I guese the next Q. is what info I need to get a hold of this turbo or make sure its going to suit the starion.

Chrees Rassy.......
________
WEED
Last edited by Rassy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

dhump,
perhaps you need to get a bigger TD06 style exhaust housing. The TD06 and TC06 exhaust wheel are the same size. There is a guy in the US making them I will find the link.
Your problem is caused by a compressor/turbine miss match. I remember you said you have cropped the exhaust wheel already but you could try and increase the width of the slot into the involute in the turbine housing. Have you done an exhaust back pressure measurement?
Rassy
I like starions

Post by Rassy »

hahahaha I just relized that you guys wer'nt talking to me ohohoh what an idot :oops: arrr well yar get that. when yar me
________
Hawaii Marijuana Dispensary
Rassy
I like starions

turb's

Post by Rassy »

dose any one know of an one that has these style turbos in OZ http://www.extremeturbo.com/garrettdsm. ... ad89200538

Thought I would ask before I go an oder one. inturnal gate sound prety good compard to TC06 hybird, of course will need new down pipe an most likely manifold, Im just getten sick an tired of looking for somthing in OZ that just aint here

thanks you ''quest'' for the link. I don't I would of ever come across that site no mater how long I look on here for.
________
Relationship forum
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Rassy, these are the turbos that I first mentioned in a post above. They are available here through the Australian distributors, Buzz Engines (http://www.buzzengines.com), who are located in Brisbane.

EDIT: just checked their site and they don't have any info on the turbos due to the website being upgraded. Email them direct for info on the US turbos.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Rassy
I like starions

Post by Rassy »

Thanks for Nxtime I don't know why I didn't check that out when you first mentioned it, obviously not reading through the thread properly, not to worry just lucky someone is on the ball cause I sure aint.

Cheers for that....

Rassy.............
p.s Ill give them a call an sort something out
________
NATIVE AMERICAN SPIRITUALITY FORUM