Turbo options

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

scum,
Ok. No TD-06 vs TC-06 means they have the same size "06" turbine wheel. TD means it will probably have a bigger compressor housing and exhaust housing. See below.

Basically you have 5 main components of the turbo.
1) centre bearing housing (water cooled, non-water cooled, and also later one's with ball bearings instead of plain bearings)
2) compressor housing (intake end)
3) turbine housing (exhaust end)
4) compressor wheel (intake end)
5) exhaust wheel/shaft (the shaft and wheel are made one piece)

With Mitsubishi turbo's the 04, 05, 05H, 06, 07,etc means the exhaust wheel size. 16G, 17C 12A,11A, etc means the compressor wheel size.

So when you see a 16G-TDO5 it means a 16G compressor wheel on a 05 size turbine wheel. It does NOT indicate, centre bearing type, compressor housing size and exhaust housing size. You have to verifiy that yourself by looking at it.

The compressor wheel is DRIVEN by the turbine (exhaust) wheel. so basically it's a big balancing act between amount of lag, peak airflow required, maxium allowable turbo shaft RPM, etc, etc. This is all determined by the correct sizing of all the components.

The TD or TC used to mean diesel or carburettor but that's no really relavent anymore.

So we have a TC06 on the JA,JB which means we have a pretty good exhaust end. What we need is to increase the flow of the compressor end. This can be done by putting on a compressor housing commonly used on the TD06 with a suitable bigger wheel. Unfortunately the TD06 style compressors and bigger wheels are a bit hard to come by in Australia.
However hahnraceraft in the US have a TD06 style housing ($199 USD) machined to accept a 20G wheel ($179USD) and the 20G wheels themselves available.

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/

With these two parts put on a JA,JB TC06 you would have a killer turbo. However you would have to make a new wastegate bracket or buy one from them. The JA,JB TC06 style centre bearing housing would need minor machining to accomodate the bigger diameter 20G wheel (it's only a bit bigger on the outside (exducer diameter) than our 11A wheel but heaps bigger on the inducer diameter) but any turbo rebuild place could do this.

Hope this helps.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

My motor came with a TD05 standard, it's the Australian version of the VR4 (without "Cyclone" written on the plenum). I think the Jap ones have a TD04... but i cant understand why...
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

I'm reasonably sure that the JDM VR4 has the TD05, but which compressor? I'm not sure.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1853/article.html

mrb1, Good info in your last post, but how does the 11A, 12A, 16G, 20G compressor numbering work? Does the number give an indication of size? and what does the letter mean? ie. What is 'A' and 'G'?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

In NZ/Japan you have the Galant VR4:

Automatic - TD05-14G (might be the TD04-14B, I get them mixed up)
Manual - TD05H-16G

VR4 RS,EVO and Monte Carlo editions: TD05H-16G with larger compressor housing (big-16G)
EVO Lancer I and II: TD05H-16G
EVO Lancer III: TD05H-16G with larger compressor housing (big-16G)

TC06/TC05 and the TD05-12 seem to be swapable.

TD05 turbos found in VR4/EVO have a 4 bolt exhaust flange - so you have to modify your exhaust to suit the 4 bolt, not the 3 bolt from the TCs
Last edited by SpidersWeb on Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Will wrote: mrb1, Good info in your last post, but how does the 11A, 12A, 16G, 20G compressor numbering work? Does the number give an indication of size? and what does the letter mean? ie. What is 'A' and 'G'?
I have no idea how the numbering works or what the letter means. Some have different blade shapes and number of blades and of course different sizes. The bigger the number usually means a bigger size but not always.
Some of the bigger ones eg. 17C, 19C are off Mitsubishi trucks.
The number is not written on the wheel so you have to use pictures and measure the inducer and exducer to identify the wheel.
Obviously on a factory turbo it's sometimes on the compressor housing (because it has to match the wheel) but not always on custom turbo's.
Last edited by mrb1 on Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

The TD05H has a slightly bigger turbine wheel than the TD05/TC05 but it's not as big as the TC06.
In fact I would really like a picture of a TD05H wheel beside a TC06 so I can put it on my web site. Can anybody help?
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

The C series compressor wheels have all the compressor blades the same size and have twelve blades (I think), while the G series have staggered twin blades.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

turbo woes

Post by Starion VR4 »

The TD or TC used to mean diesel or carburettor but that's no really relavent anymore.
Don't know about this 1?
Centre bearing housing (water cooled, non-water cooled, and also later one's with ball bearings instead of plain bearings)
Have never seen a Ball BRG in a mits Turbo, but haven't pulled every1 apart.

The "Tc" And "Td" also refer to the type of shaft bearing, "Tc" use a one piece plain BRG about 40mm long, the "Td" series uses a two plain BRGS retained by circlips, BRG length is about 12mm long.

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Re: turbo woes

Post by mrb1 »

Starion VR4 wrote:
Centre bearing housing (water cooled, non-water cooled, and also later one's with ball bearings instead of plain bearings)
Have never seen a Ball BRG in a mits Turbo, but haven't pulled every1 apart.
I was just describing the various parts of turbo's in general. Yes no ball bearings in Mitsubishi turbo's as far as I know, certainly none of the older stuff. Ball bearing turbo's are a pretty recent development.
However I don't know what's in the very latest Mitsubishi stuff.

I would love a pic of a TC05/TD05 turbine wheel beside a TD05H do you have anything laying around? Sounds like you pull a few apart :)
Fuel
Enthusiast

td06

Post by Fuel »

mrb1 wrote: Unfortunately the TD06 style compressors and bigger wheels are a bit hard to come by in Australia.
However hahnraceraft in the US have a TD06 style housing ($199 USD) machined to accept a 20G wheel ($179USD) and the 20G wheels themselves available.
There must be somewhere in australia to buy them. Hopefully with better prices too.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Fuel,
let me know if you find somewhere :roll: The TD06's are only factory fittment on Mitsubishi trucks.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Re: turbo woes

Post by Alspos »

Starion VR4 wrote:
The "Tc" And "Td" also refer to the type of shaft bearing, "Tc" use a one piece plain BRG about 40mm long, the "Td" series uses a two plain BRGS retained by circlips, BRG length is about 12mm long.
Huh!!!

My turbo has 49168-01411 and S underneath it on the compressor cover
It has 2 bearings (man said so when it was rebuilt)
Does this mean I don't have a stock Staz TC-06?
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Alspos,
no it just means you may have a later style centre bearing housing. No big deal unless you have different wheels in there. Has the compressor inlet been machined out to fit a bigger wheel?
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Awww, and I thought I was special... :(

That's interesting, you say late model core, the car is an 82 :o
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Alspos,
I would say the turbo was rebuilt at some stage with a later centre bearing housing. They are cast iron and if they wear too much where the shaft bearing runs they are a throw away item.