What forged pistons

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

if the piston shrinks and expands more than others, then would that not mean that an engine built with these pistons will have a shorter lifetime between rebuilds than an engine built with pistons that have less of a fluctuation in size at different temperatures?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

Yes and no.

The rattle is when they're cold before they expand to fill the bore perfectly. They will all expand to fill perfectly, the question is how much do they contract when they get cold. The rattle is literally the pistons whacking against the bores.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

yeah i get you there - that doesn't explain the "no" though? when the piston is cold and rattles, wouldn't that mean firstly that it won't be sealing all that well while cold, and secondly that it is damaging the bores more until it's warmed up?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

Think of the rattle as more of a light tap rather than a scrape or bash.

If you tap on your plaster wall with a claw hammer does it put a hole in it? You have to give it a bit of a whack to even mark it.

Also, we have cast iron blocks so even less issue. The alloy simply isn't hard enough to cause an issue with the bore. It just makes a shitload of noise and sounds like it's going to explode for a few minutes until it warms up.