HELP! I miss driving my starion :(

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

nope, things got busy, so haven't touched it yet. lucky for me work is a 15 minute walk away.. plus i can get mum's car on most weekdays haha
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

took the front stuff off my car yesterday. i was puzzled for a while as there seemed to be something blocking the bolts to the harmonic balancer. took out the centre bolt thingo and it turned out to be a washer.. bent from being tightened with the harmonic balancer bolts in the way.. am i being unreasonable, or am i right to be fuming and wondering how this so called mechanic got his trade license??

pictures:

quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

now, to redo the timing, i have a couple of questions i need help with.. firstly, the manual says there is a hole that i'm meant to be putting a screw driver into and seeing if it goes in 2cm or 6 cm.. so my question is.. where exactly is this hole?

next thing is, i've marked some pictures and i'm wondering if i'm thinking about this right..? I've marked what i believe to be the timing notches in red circles, and the green arrows indicate where i think they should be lined up to.. is this right? Is there anything else i need to take into consideration other than lining all the markings up?

Also, in one of the pictures, i've made a circle in blue.. there seems to be a lot of this stuff around there.. looks like metal filings.. should i be worried?

Apologies for the novice questions.. this is my first time doing the timing on a car.

quest wrote:
Astron Boy
I like starions

Post by Astron Boy »

I do know the top Cam gear needs to the circle lines up 180 degree to the left with the nitch in the head.
Don't line it up with the triangle like I initially thought.

Unsure about the others sorry :S
1995 Mercedes C180 Elegance, AMG Pack.
1989 Magna Wagon Turbo.
1997 FTO GPX.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Something can't be right if you've got metal filings there must be a clearence problem needs to be sorted
The screwdriver is used to time the balance shaft on the inlet side You havd to remove a bolt in the side of the block under the inlet m/fold to do this there is only one there and it's obvious
Good luck
Last edited by OLD FART on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

You will also need to source the correct washer for the harmaonic balancer, and there is a gude plate that goes between the two belt pulleys an the crank.
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

No wait, the correct washer is still on the crank.
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Do you have a trade assocation or someone to complain to?

That is unacceptable work, you will need at least to replace those belts and throughly degrease the front of the engine to get rid of the filings, after finding exactly where they came from. Throw the extra washer, tap out the crank thread maybe a new bolt and main washer as well.

I may be gettin confused between the the diesel motors (and I've been drinkin) but isn't the inner crank spocket on back to front? Or should there a timing plate between the two crank spockets? Its been a while since I belted a petrol one.

The crank timing mark is at the top left of the sprocket next to the bolt in your picture.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Firstly download this manual http://www.austarion.com/tech/4g63.pdf.

Page 33 has the timing belt alignment marks, the crank one is to the top left hand corner, but is align with a with a guide plate (refer to page 28 of the manual its item number 9).

Is it actually metal filings thats circled in blue? Look at the crankshaft sprocket for the culprit, if it isnt metal filings look at the back of the timing belt to see if its rubbing.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so the engine is missing a guide plate that 'should' have been there eh?

this might explain why the mechanic was saying that the crankshaft sprocket was wobbly.. and could this also be why there are metal filings everywhere? (i think they are metal.. should find a magnet and confirm)
quest wrote:
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

thrash wrote:so the engine is missing a guide plate that 'should' have been there eh?

this might explain why the mechanic was saying that the crankshaft sprocket was wobbly.. and could this also be why there are metal filings everywhere? (i think they are metal.. should find a magnet and confirm)
magnet no good on ally . Wobbly sproket??? most are located with a key and should be a snug fit
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Yeah the timing plate is missing, he may have added the washer to remedy the wobbly spocket :wtf:

Remove both spockets and post a picture, the key way is probably slogged out. You should be able to buy new spockets and a new key and fix that ok.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Did you pay the bloke? If so, ask for your money back. If that doesn't happen contact the MTA. http://www.mtansw.com.au/ give them a call.

"the manual says there is a hole that i'm meant to be putting a screw driver into and seeing if it goes in 2cm or 6 cm.. so my question is.. where exactly is this hole? "

I think this refering to the Number 1 spark plug hole to confirm that the piston is at Top Dead Center?
1985 JB Starion #157
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

TOMSUN wrote:Did you pay the bloke? If so, ask for your money back. If that doesn't happen contact the MTA. http://www.mtansw.com.au/ give them a call.

"the manual says there is a hole that i'm meant to be putting a screw driver into and seeing if it goes in 2cm or 6 cm.. so my question is.. where exactly is this hole? "

I think this refering to the Number 1 spark plug hole to confirm that the piston is at Top Dead Center?
NO NO NO read my FIRST post the screwdriver is used thru the side of the block to correctly position the balance shaft !!!!!!!!!!! if you get this wrong then it will be out of sinc with the other one and they won't cancell out the vibration correctly :x
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

With age comes wisdom :P Listen to the old boy, he speaks the truth!

Thrash,
degrease the engine bay! It's killing me just looking at it. Check your balancer if there is a wobble, the rubber may be coming out or the keyway on your crankshaft may be flogged out.