'Warming up' a car

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

hahaha, i suppose using industrial hydraulic theory on car engines may not be spot on, with the total lack of piston rings probably means our gear needs to be a little more accurate.
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Back to the warm up topic,

Starion - can drive straight away fine, but until the temp guage hits that first notch - you can not go over 0psi boost without it cutting and spluttering and gotta give it a few extra revs when you take off.

As soon as the guage comes up, you can give it death.

Galant - when really freezing cold, I can put it in R and floor it - and nothing happens. Sometimes it splutters, and you can actually smell the unburnt fuel out the exhaust. When cold I need to floor it, just to make it move, then once its warmed up a bit, its sweet.

It honestly seems like the fuel in the Galant barely burns at all when too cold, (by too cold I mean 2 deg C), it gives off a light white smoke and absolutely reaks of unburnt petrol. This all goes away once its warmed up.

Oil explains the lack of power, but doesn't explain why both cars seem to have great difficulty in burning the fuel under load.

Also idling cars in the driveway isn't how I warm them up, I drive them quietly for a minute or so, that way my gearbox and steering fluids warm up as well.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)