6G72 into Starion - who has done it?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

There was a Starion on trademe a while ago, it was white and had cut so many vents in the front it looked like swiss cheese...
But that had a filthy big Chev V8 in it... and i'm sure that if he can get a boat anchor chev V8 into it you can get a Mitsi V6 into one.

I do remember years ago when I had a ''73 Mitsi GTO that there was a guy that put a turbo V6 into one, and they have really small engine bays, sure it was here in Chch to....

Anyone know if the old 70's Mitsi GTO with the DASH motor in it is still floating around? It was Red...
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

There wa silver widey in the US that had done a fantastic 6G72TT engine conversion with a lot of other custom work and huge turbos etc. So yes it will fit. I have also personally seen one fitted into a Sigma, so the Starion conversion is possible. But I don't think your budget is big enough as yu will also need a box behind it, not to mention the ecu, fuel system, and driveline mods.

I was going to do this conversion myself into a widey. I had the engine and car ready, but pulled out due to costs, lack of funds plus other interests.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

I was going to do this conversion myself into a widey. I had the engine and car ready, but pulled out due to costs, lack of funds plus other interests.
See what happens when you buy a Datsun rofl
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

thanks quest once again your wise words are very much appreciated.

I did some more research into the 6G72 engines, learning some stuff from people who have actually built them up themselves.

The earlier GTO (3000GT) blocks up to about '93ish are called the gen1 and only have two bolt mains, no forged crank etc, whereas '93ish onwards gen2 motors have four bolt mains and forged crank. Interesting though is that none of the 6Gs have piston oil squirters, even the TT ones, which I thought would have been a vital component on turbo engines. It seems the main thing which lets the 6G engine down is oiling issues, and they subsequently run bearings frequently.

At this stage, I think it might be easier instead of mixing and matching bits to get MIVEC heads to work on a GTO block (needs to be gen2), it would be easier to just use the MIVEC block and heads, and fit lower comp GTO pistons - or even lower the compression of the MIVEC engine using thicker head gaskets. I'm not aiming to run huge amounts of boost and would rather have good all-round performance including off-boost torque.

I have just purchased my first engine - a complete '97 jap spec F36A Diamante 30M MIVEC engine for $360. This engine will probably be the first of a few engines I'll be collecting to have a large parts bin. I'm currently bidding on a complete GTO engine with a run bearing so will see how that pans out.

I already have super-stiff 9kg/cm springs up front which I feel are far too stiff for the existing setup, so perhaps they'll be just right with the heavier V6?

I'm pretty keen to stay twin turbo, mainly for the cost-factor of being able to use the stock turbos (with CC GSR internals). I will definitely have to fabricate up some custom manifolds to bring the turbos forward enough to clear the engine mounts and try keep the intake/intercooler piping length to a minimum.

As for costs, well I was already budgeting to do a full rebuild on my 4G63 with an aftermarket ECU so most of those costs would be the same for the 6G72 anyway. I'm not chasing huge numbers, really I would be happy with the same or a little higher than the standard GTO power figures - I feel the existing fuel system with an external walbro 550hp or similar pump will be able to flow enough fuel to keep up, and if not it's not terribly expensive to go with larger diameter fuel lines.

I see the main concerns surrounding this conversion would be a suitable gearbox to go behind it, but even after one page on this thread we've established there's definitely a few options out there, and bits which require to be modified for RWD layout like the sump, water lines etc.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

A MK Triton 2WD V6 box will bolt up to the 6G72 ;)

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yup, as well as the earlier Triton/L200/Challenger V6s and the Pajero V6s although they would be 4WD boxes.

There's also the Dallow bellhousing to mate 6G72 to the W5* series Toyota boxes apparently also.

I think the MK Triton (I'm assuming that's the latest series Triton?) boxes will be expensive given how new they are from wreckers.
ImageImage
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Here's a pajero manual box, from a 3.5 DOHC V6, problem is it looks like it has the transfer case built into it - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 448091.htm
ImageImage
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

www.18u wrote:
See what happens when you buy a Datsun rofl
yeah...but that 'Datsun' will smoke :pimp anything Starion....:D:D:D

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

DG,
I suppose any model 2wd Triton that had the 6G72 engine will bolt up.

I see that you have been on 3si.org. The yanks have played with the 6G's for years. Plenty of good info there, as well as that silver Starion that had the conversion done.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

nah I haven't been on 3si.org? maybe I should though.
ImageImage
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

whoop whoop just won the auction for the GTO engine for $425 - two engines for under $800 - can't really go wrong with that! Just need to find a buggered Pajero/Challenger/Triton/L200/L400 V6 now for the RWD bits.
ImageImage
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Could make some $$$ back selling off the parts from the 2-3 motors you dont need.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah here's hoping. Have a '92 Galant I picked up for $300 that I fixed up that I'm going to sell shortly, should help with the funds too.
ImageImage
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

DG, the MK triton is mid 90's....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

cool thanks - we must not follow the same naming scheme here - we did get the mid 90s V6 Triton/L200s, but the V6 manual 2WD wasn't common, was either 2.4 petrol manual or 2.5TD diesel manual.

Once the engines arrive I'll go hunting in wreckers yards and see what they have to offer.
ImageImage