Pads available for Starions

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

A quick look at the specs hp-x = k500, and a1rm = k750, give gslrally a call as they have them in stock already. I will give some feedback after the autocross this weekend on how the brake pads perform on the track.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
starion84
Big Dorifto

Post by starion84 »

yeah cheers for that, I will give gslrally a call sometime, and as you said before you are just running the a1rm db1141 pads, but they just miss a few mm on the inside correct?

yeah interesting to see how you go with them this weekend. ta
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Actually its bill that said the 1141 pads miss by 3mm, i dont have that problem as i have bigger rotors with the 5 stud disc.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so.. how was it ricethief?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
starion84
Big Dorifto

Post by starion84 »

yeah how did the qfms go?
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

The qfm pads have good bite to them, better than what was in the car and the bendix metal pads that I had in my gold starion. They were consistent with good braking power that it allowed me to build confidence and brake later into the corner.

I didnt get any fade at the autocross but then again i didnt have that problem with the previous pads as the runs are so short. I did experience fade driving down Mt Glorious but that was near the end of the drive down, but the fade wasn't a oh shit i have no brakes moment but rather it got so hot that i reduced braking power but enough to make it around the corner.

In all fairness though the metal shields behind the rotors were still in at the time and the rotors got so hot that 20 mins after the end of the run the rotors were too hot to touch.

So in conclusion the qfm pads are a good comprimise on the street as they still bite well when cold, the bendix metal kings that were in my gold starion had no bite when cold and gave me an oh shit moment the first time i tried to brake in the morning. The qfm pads have good bite to them and are consistent, they have little brake dust and don't wear the rotors as much as bendix metal pads. I would recommend you take off the metal shield if you intend to take your car on the track, but that would apply to any pad you intend to use.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

what's the purpose of the metal shield anyway? what's it "shielding" and from what?

I assume you're talking about the backing plate right? don't people just cut holes in it to pomote airflow, rather than taking it out completely?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Yeah the sheilding behind the rotor, i assume its there to protect stray rocks from hitting the caliper and rotor and also to help bring the rotors up to operating temps faster.

S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

RiceThief wrote:Yeah the sheilding behind the rotor, i assume its there to protect stray rocks from hitting the caliper and rotor and also to help bring the rotors up to operating temps faster.
i thought they were ducted cooling for the rotor?

if you look they have a opening at the front which then opens up to a grill arrangement spreading air across the back of the rotor
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Soljah, while there are the ducts in front of the shielding its pretty small and wouldnt flow much air to cool the rotors.

The way i see the shielding working is like having a lid on a pot when you're cooking, having it on brings the heat up faster and holds the heat longer, i see the ducts there just to give some control on the level of heat the rotors produce.