Balance Shaft elimination kit

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

i have the ralliart kit in mine and i still have the part no if anyone is interested as it can be ordered through mitsubishi. This was for a twin cam so i cannot confirm that it is the same.It uses a plastic style plug compared to a welch plug which can crack a timing cover if not done correctly.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

This is a ver bad pic with my camera phone but you can see that the Genuine cap fits the starion cover perfect.These can be purchased through Mitsubishi or through Meek Automotive for around $10
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

If I were to get this done from a mechanic, how much should i expect to pay?
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

This was one of the jobs I left to the pros, I had an engine builder do it along with some other stuff, my engine
had the pulley driven one siezed as someone had removed the belt to it b4 I got it 6 years ago.

So I was charged: $202 for the balance shaft job
Work was: removing the siezed shaft, new bearings, bearing installation to block oil supply in removed shafts cavity, cutting off of balance shaft
from oil pump and tapping of the gallery to plug and a walsh plug to block the timing cover shaft hole.
Would have been cheaper if there wasn't a siezed shaft that thing was stuck good.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Id say the cost depends on if the motor is in or out of the car. Labour would be the biggest cost if the motor was still in the car as the whole front of the motor would have to be pulled apart as well as probably the radiator to get enough room.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

wouldn't be worth the trouble to do only the balance shafts, best to do them when the engines out for a rebuild or something.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.