JB, running again.. VERY Rich under boost..

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
boosted
I like starions

JB, running again.. VERY Rich under boost..

Post by boosted »

Ok, i managed to get the car running again, fitted a dump pipe an a Garret T3 Turbo.. Car runs fine.. exept under load its mega rich.. and very hesitating, not making enough power..

At 0.7 Bar (10.3 PSi) the wideband sensor is shows lambda 0.71 (AFR 10.4).. I changed the air flow meter, and it got even more rich lambda 0.66 (AFR 9.7!).. i then changed the injectors for a spare set i had.. Fuel mixture staid the same, but the car runs a bit better (more responsive)..

What could cause this extremely rich mixture?

Any help very much appreciated..

Here the car..

Show Image: Image

Show Image: Image
boosted
I like starions

Post by boosted »

anyone?
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

I'd first check all the standard stuff going wrong on a Starion.

-coolant temperature sensor or wiring is bad, ecu thinks engine is cold and injects extra fuel.
-leaking vacuum hoses, map sensor leaking (o-rings in that thing tend to leak)
-check if your vacuum advance is working, also tends to break/leak
-injector wiring, gets brittle, bad connection
-resistor pack, check if both injectors get equal voltage.
-leaking injectors, but since you already replaced those not very likely
-Check all intercooler & intake hoses for leaks
-replace the fuel pressure regulator if you have a spare one or check the one your using.
-never hurts to check that distributer, the weights in it can be stuck in one position due to wear & rust
-bad leads and/or plugs.

Just to sum up all the stuff I've encounterd on my Starion before when it just didn't run right. :x

Tough I must add that most of the stuff mentioned usually makes the car run LEAN.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

10.4:1 sounds about right for a stock ECU at full load if it's not intercooled. You may have a bit of a boost leak somewhere though. There are a couple of dodgy fixes you can do to adjust the AFR without getting an electronic fuel controller. There should be some rubber plugs in the AFM that you can remove to allow it to flow more unmetered air, or you can drill new holes, just start small and keep checking it with the wideband.

Or if your willing to spend a bit of cash ($200 USD) you could try a megasquirt running either as an interceptor or standalone. Although you might find you end up spending all your free time perfecting your tune.

Aren't those directional tyres on backwards?
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

the front directional tyres are on correct orientation, those the ones ur reffering to?
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
boosted
I like starions

Post by boosted »

thanks!!

I think i'll go and search for the boost leak and check the watertemp. sensor.. these two things could make a real difference..

Will keep you updated..

The tyres on the back are also directional (i'll be getting new ones as it's always better 2 have the same all around :wink: ).. And its originaly intercooled..
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

AB wrote: Aren't those directional tyres on backwards?
Directional tyres propperly fitted draw arrows facing where the car came in mud ;)
1983 JA Staz