Alternator now outputting between 9 - 11V

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Rola
Big Dorifto

Alternator now outputting between 9 - 11V

Post by Rola »

Hey guys, i posted a topic before about how my alternator was producing 20V well i changed that one with a new one.

After i installed the new one it was reading a sweet 14V when the car was on, took my car for a drive, noticed the indicators became solid and the radio was turning on and off so i went home to check it out.

Now my alternator which i fitted just yesterday and was working sweet when i fitted it is producing 9 - 11V.

What could possibly be the problem? is my car blowing alternators? are the belts on the alternator not on tight enough?

Ive got no fucking idea whats going on :cry:

Thanks for your help in advance,

Rola.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Yep, belts not tight enough! You literally need to almost use a crowbar or a large Screwdriver and pry the alternater tight, then tighten the bolt on the sliding bar!
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

chunkhead wrote:Yep, belts not tight enough! You literally need to almost use a crowbar or a large Screwdriver and pry the alternater tight, then tighten the bolt on the sliding bar!
Thanks mate, ill give that a try when its not raining, do you think its a good idea to spray the sliding bar with RP7 to make it easy to slide? Also how do i go about prying it? by that i mean what should i pry it off? and do i loosen the back bolt?
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

I wouldn't rp7 it as it may slip loose again more easily and also overspray may cause belt to slip as well.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

Rola wrote:
chunkhead wrote:Yep, belts not tight enough! You literally need to almost use a crowbar or a large Screwdriver and pry the alternater tight, then tighten the bolt on the sliding bar!
Thanks mate, ill give that a try when its not raining, do you think its a good idea to spray the sliding bar with RP7 to make it easy to slide? Also how do i go about prying it? by that i mean what should i pry it off? and do i loosen the back bolt?
Get a long bar and pry it against the block. Stick the bar in through the front of all the pulleys, lean it against the block about 6-9 inches back then pull against the alternator.
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

Just pryed the altinator back a bit, belt it tight as. Its still producing under 12 volts (11.78V exactly) wtf is going on?

edit: left the car running for 5 mins and the battery is now producing 11.74V exactly.
Last edited by Rola on Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

The alternator finally blew and now is running off battery power,,, Same thing happend to mine twice. (dodgy regualtor was used by auto elecy).

Car wont drive around for long on just battery power.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

JD_Stazza_Brendan wrote:The alternator finally blew and now is running off battery power,,, Same thing happend to mine twice. (dodgy regualtor was used by auto elecy).

Car wont drive around for long on just battery power.
Well if the altinators blown it lasted for less than one day as i just changed it.

Could the wiring be blowing my alternators? An alarm system installed by JB hifi perhaps?
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

try tightening it, if there is a heap of tension on it and its still showing low volts might try a auto electrician.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

JD_Stazza_Brendan wrote:try tightening it, if there is a heap of tension on it and its still showing low volts might try a auto electrician.
Will do, does anyone know of a good Autoelectrician in melbourne? Also do you think that an alarm could be whats blowing my alternators, because ive had nothing but trouble since i got it installed.
Scorp16
[L] Plates

Post by Scorp16 »

where in melb.
C.Q. Auto Electrics in richmond.
talk to carlton.
9428-6476
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Hey Rola,

Have you replaced the alternator with a Mitsubishi one or is it something else?

If you're using something other than Mitsus one, then you may need to hook up a wire to "activate" the alternator - known in the trade as a "tickler". I'll tell you more about that if you need the info.

Whatever is fitted, check very carefully your earth and feed wires.
If these are dirty/corroded/broken, then your alternator will not be working properly.

One option is to pull off the alternator and take it back to the place you just got it from (I take it it's a reco one). They should have some gear that will allow them to bench test it and put a load on it. If the output is okay, then you'll need to look at your wiring.

Often just replacing the terminals that bolt onto your Alternator can solve the issue. Hope this helps. :)
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

enthuzed wrote:Hey Rola,

Have you replaced the alternator with a Mitsubishi one or is it something else?

If you're using something other than Mitsus one, then you may need to hook up a wire to "activate" the alternator - known in the trade as a "tickler". I'll tell you more about that if you need the info.

Whatever is fitted, check very carefully your earth and feed wires.
If these are dirty/corroded/broken, then your alternator will not be working properly.

One option is to pull off the alternator and take it back to the place you just got it from (I take it it's a reco one). They should have some gear that will allow them to bench test it and put a load on it. If the output is okay, then you'll need to look at your wiring.

Often just replacing the terminals that bolt onto your Alternator can solve the issue. Hope this helps. :)
Thanks for that mate, it is a mitsubishi one.

Im pretty sure its hooked up correctly because straight after i installed it, it was working. Charging the battery at 14V... went for a drive and noticed my indicators were solid, checked the altinator and it was only producing 11V.

Where exactly do the wires from the alternator run in the car? is there a ground near the alternator i should be looking at or just the one near the battery?

Thanks for all the help so far, im pretty sure the alternator isnt the problem.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Here's a post I had a while back...

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... alternator

I also replaced my alternator with an L300 one. Mine died,got it cheap. When new engine went in we put my other spare Starion alternator in, lasted 3 weeks and the regulator blew, now running the L300 one! Charges at nearly 16v, but it'll be OK, I have a good Calcium battery

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... light=l300
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

Changed the alternator again (3rd time) + changed battery terminals to brass ones + fixed the ground wire to have better contact and it seems to be working.

Charging at about 13.9V at the battery :D

thanks for all your help guys, still dont know what caused me to go through 3 alternators but i suspect it was a poor ground connection.