MPI & ecu's is there much a difference in hp?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
DJ_NoVa
Dorifto!

MPI & ecu's is there much a difference in hp?

Post by DJ_NoVa »

Well.
1st. post
but long time member,

MPI and ECU going on very soon, got all the parts made manifold etc... but i am just wondering from other peoples experince if there is much a difference in hp and overall power to the car?
understood that the new injectors will be great compared to the shitty two i have 'stock', so yea any comments?

oh and does or has anyone done this convo without putting a cooler on at the same time,
becasue i dont have the money for a cooler as well as the ecu etc...
if some one has tell me the pros and cons if possible..

cheers,
nova[/img]
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it".
- Albert Einstein
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

With Motec, MPI (L300 manifold and throttle body) and 12psi boost the dyno indicated 160hp (119kw) at the wheels. No intercooler and standard engine internals.
DJ_NoVa
Dorifto!

Post by DJ_NoVa »

nice work thanks for the reply,
so i'm lookin' at 160hp..
thin is i have rebuilt engine and upgraded all bits n peices thanks to a mate.
he believes that engine plus ecu and mpi hopefully could make 200hp.
with standard boost. thing is i dont want to boost he car without cooler, kinda scared turbo will shit it'self or something else if not done propley.

i would like to throw a cooler but i may as well and do it propley and get a big custom one done instaed of wasting a 100$ or so on a chepa temp one. i figure, only thing is it will need a retune after that.
so back to the question,
that kind of power (160hp) is common for most starions these days?
or could we go one better and say is it standard or in a market to race these newer cars eg.s (skylines, wrx and S14's?).
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it".
- Albert Einstein
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

With standard engine internals, 15psi boost, intercooler, MPI and ECU your looking at about 150kw at the wheels which is 200 rwhp.

This is a proven figure that quite a few cars on this forum have achieved.

You won't make 200 rwhp with standard internals and standard boost (8psi).
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I made 170 hp at the wheels on 12 psi with standard internals and large intercooler, as cookie said you wont make 200 hp on 8 psi. So long as your turbo is good, it wont shit itself without an intercooler, but what you have to watch out for is your engine pinging. If you run 98 ron fuel, you should be able to run up to 13 psi without a cooler, but your engine tuner will know whats a safe level of boost for your car. With 160 hp you will be equal to most standard skylines, s14 and s13s.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

With MPI (L300 manifold and throttle body), JD type intercooler setup, standard engine (+1mm oversize pistons), 2.5" exhaust running 15psi I made 169HP at the wheels.
With MPI the car feels very different to drive comes on boost strong. A lot more grunt through the 4500 RPM region.
So I guess you should expect 150-200hp with the above mods depending on what boost you run.

Personally I'm not sure you would get much over 170hp without some at least mild head work and/or cam however a bigger custom intercooler setup with shorter pipework will perform better than my standard JD setup.

Let us know what happens. But 2.5" exhaust and intercooler is a must!
DJ_NoVa
Dorifto!

Post by DJ_NoVa »

well i have done a nice enigne,
only thing is there is no forgies, yet everything else is done...
couldn't spare money at time.

i'll just be using some pipe from turbo to thottle until i can get a cooler,

so yea i was told those figures (170-200hp) i am looking at,

no, out of this is the starion much compettion once all this is acheived,
meaning compared to the newer cars that most ppl only boost and exhaust (sky's, wrx, etc...)
- Albert Einstein
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Hi DJ Nova, I also have done the same with my engine, i didnt get forgies either though that would be my main regret with the engine. Have you considered welding two rx7 intercoolers together i hear they make a good budget option. I just had my car dynoed today, it made 211hp and it feels so much more powerful than on my previous tune, i believe with 200 hp you will be good competition against skylines and s14 that only have boost and exhaust, so long as you can get traction, i havent had a good chance to strech its legs but i cant get traction in second.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Starion coolers here are $50, might be an idea to find someone in NZ who will ship you one if they are too expensive in aus. They're not big or heavy.

VR4 coolers go for a couple of hundy still.

According to specs, my car factory was 190hp@flywheel @8psi with the cooler, TBI, and 8 valve.

The heat that comes from that turbo, the idea of running with no I/C I find quite nerve wrecking.

With a VR4 cooler, and the MPI, you could run higher boost and good power gains.

Thats my thoughts anyway. Apparently the MPI also assits with fuel distribution. I heard somewhere that when using TBI, cylinders 1 and 4 run a little leaner, and 2 and 3 a little richer, so apparently using the MPI you may see a small power increase purely because each cylinder has the equal tuned air/fuel ratio.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

RiceThief,
what's your current spec for 211hp that sounds pretty strong?
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

SpidersWeb wrote:Starion coolers here are $50, might be an idea to find someone in NZ who will ship you one if they are too expensive in aus. They're not big or heavy.
D00D! hook me up with all the $50 starion intercoolers you can find! Ive seen em sell for $200 here...
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

$200?

Jesus, they're not exactly great coolers. Seen many a Starion turbo sell for $150 (Bartman was selling his incomplete TD05-12s for $1 each), $200 for the cooler, bugger that!!

If I see any floating around I'll let you know. If I get a VR4 cooler you can have mine for $50.
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Ive compared vr4 and starion coolers? the cores looked identical? you sure your thinking of the same cooler? ill post yet another pic!

What the hell are you doing up the early!!? I have an excuse, i slept all yesterday afternoon, whats yours? :P
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I slept all bloody day :glare:

I am the definition of being a bum

Possibly I am thinking of a different cooler. VR4 RS ones look larger than what is in my car. Pretty sure they flow better, since it seems to be a recommended upgrade.

Something that freaks me out, if thats you in the picture, then we look identical. :shock:
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Ahhh, RS coolers are indeed bigger and fatter :). RS VR4's also had the big 16g turbo (from what ive heard)... hmmm, droool, i neeeeeed that combo on my staz.

thats me, but t'was a couple of years ago, i still look the same, sans glasses (usually). I know what its like being a bum, some really really good times!