Details on this mechanism required please

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Details on this mechanism required please

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Hi

Changing out the T/B gasket and decided i'd like to know what this device contributes to the cars operation.

Looks like it activates upon throttle release, has both an adjustment on the base of auctuator arm and vaccume.

Can someone please tell me what its called, what its function is and how to correctly adjust it.

Can't find anything in the PDF manuals I have.

Picture:

Cheers
Dallas
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Congratulations youve found the Flux Capacitor....

looks like some sort of Dash pot device.
Nothing like that is on the JB/JD style Tb...
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Cold start!

When the engine is cold, this unit pulls the throttle to run the car about about 2000rpm. As it warms up, the little lever pulls out and the idle returns to normal.

The pellet in i've highlighted in the pic you'll notice is connected to the water supply through the engine. This pellet normally gets old and jammed, hence why it's not working!

Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

hmm, I think that its seperate from the cold start,
I can see the water pellet and how that works, it pushes up when warm and releases the throttle slightly.
This unit appears to be seperate as it has no linkages to the cold start "pellet" and isn't capable of pushing the throttle in any way as it can only move in the direction away from the throttle.
The throttle opens clockwise, the pivot for this device can only move anti-clockwise away from the throttle, but can be adjusted so that the arm can be pushed when the throttle closes hence altering the little diaphram up the top to adjust something.

Any other suggestions or confirmation? Specific operation descriptions?
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
tri26t
I love starions

Post by tri26t »

that`ll be the dash pot mate,

I personally throw this thing away when it sh-ts me and havent had
issues without it..................................(I think)...................
when you back off the throttle the engine gets high vaccum and
the dash pot will pull up causeing the motor to rev to 2000+ for
just maybe 2-3 seconds, activating the EGR (I think) and it does it when you change gear (you know ?????????????)
Cheers:Phil.
TORQUES-CHEAP.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Thanks Tri26t,
Thats pretty much what I suspected it was for, could you possibly e-mail me a copy of that pic full sized? Would be nice to store that somewere for the future.
daunger99@hotmail.com

Cheers
Dallas
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

do what i did...

unplug it, remove it, jump on it, burn it, urinate on it, run it over, then place it nicely into your rubbish bin

Its very good at eliminating jerky foot off, but when it gets old and tired it takes a month to let the revs drop...
1983 JA Staz
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Mine works fine.............justs needs to be adjusted correctly, it holds the revs at 1100rpm beautifully when changing gears or stopping suddenly before returning to base idle.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

I've noticed that mine has almost stalled a couple of times if I slow down real quick, could this be my issue?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
tri26t
I love starions

Post by tri26t »

thats exactly what it is,
if you can live without it throw it ("throw i now")
I know sometimes when you back off the gas from
high revs it will nearlly stall but its better than your
car trying to take off when gearing down.

Cheers:Phil.
TORQUES-CHEAP.
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Must be improperly set, I don't have that problem, I can down gear from high revs and it's fine.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Chryzla wrote:but when it gets old and tired it takes a month to let the revs drop...
You can actually adjust old & tired ones - there's a hex-head brass plug on the firewall side of the dashpot (between the round bit and the square bit) which you can loosen. This will bleed a little air from the dashpot and allow it to operate better. Loosen it a very small amount at a time (say 1/4 turn) until it operates correctly, and then put a small dab of glue on it to make sure vibrations don't affect the position.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

mines long gone.

I prefer the response i get now to having had it, i prefer revs to drop as fast as i let go. Just how i like to drive. full control :)
1983 JA Staz