Splutter at higher revs? New to board

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

if there is an O-ring on the crossover pip try replace it with a newer one. Might make a better seal
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

From memory that car had an intercooler(at collie) so it's been mucked around with! Try wraping some electrical tape around the seal on the crossover pipe to seal it for the time being.
beamz
[P] Plates

Post by beamz »

Yah theres an o ring on there and when its all lined up it seems to seal ok. But How does the turbo move? and how should i stop that?
And is there supposed to be a anything else that goes over the cross over pipe to the turbo, to seal it better?
Hey Silo do you know anything else about this car?
Its had a shit load of tinckering with but i knew it wasnt gunna be a gem, however it does seem to go pretty hard!
Thanks for comments :beer
Craig
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Beamz - If you're in the Perth metro area I can probably help you out a bit. If you're in the south west, I'll leave it to Silo :wink:
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

I don't know heaps about your car Craig :( , But i do know it was at collie for a race event, Did half a lap, and retired with gremlins :roll: (Yeah i know, weird) At that point i think it had a silvia or skyline intercooler. I approached the owner and said "hey mate, nice JB" he said
"nah mate its a JD" ( rofl )
I politely readjusted him when i showed him the compliance plates, and thats it really!
He didn't know jack about the car thats for sure.

Silas
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

if its a mitsu turbo, sounds like the big C-clip is missing.
On a garret, the compressor housing bolts may need tightening
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

LOL

i went to that track day and spoke with the owner, the car made a loud cracking noise when he free revved it and it came on boost at idle, i thought it was pretty good as he could make 10psi of boost by 4000rpm..

he had got a cd and made an outline template, and then sprayed black spraypaint on the brake lights so it looked like r31 dish ones :x car sounded like it ran ok but it blew a bit of smoke

gordonspec® racing
beamz
[P] Plates

Post by beamz »

Thanks for the pic Logik. Hard to see from the picture but the engine looks a fair bit different frm that now, from what i can see.
Doesnt seem to have boost on idle problems, in fact it idles very smoothly at about 800-900. Blows a little smoke but for the age hardly any really, and no WEIRD smoke just looks like blow by. Have been using it now for nearly two weeks as a daily driver and all in all, touch wood, it seems pretty solid. When it hits boost it goes suprisingly strong and very smooth in its delivery. Only real trouble i have is the Turbo rotating after a period of driving and the fact that by fabricating the pipe to the turbo the air box is all over the shop. It can not be put anywhere near the dam in the fender and the inlet is tightly pushed up against the front cross member so its air intake will be screwed. And yes he was very proud that he had sprayed the tail lights using a CD! ahh performance upgrades with no money!
Cheers
Craig
S73R
Big Dorifto

Post by S73R »

mite be injectors mate some leak over time....
mine dose the same thing but it dosent really splutter. it dont produce as much power as it should i know this couse every nown and again it really gos!!!!! but most of the time its like it dosent want to rev....
"Only one way to live, Full BOOOST!!!!!!!!"