So Close

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Project2501
I like starions more

So Close

Post by Project2501 »

Hi guys.

Just finished bolting everything back onto the car (minus front bumper, but you will see why shortly). Trouble is, damn thing wont start.

What was the exact procedure to install a distributor again? Im thinking it might be that, or it could be the worst case scenario and my injectors are blocked (Been sitting for a while outside the car.. might this be it?)

Will have pics and stuff as soon as she breathes again.

cheers

tom.
..More than meets the eye..
turbzzz
Lil' Dorifto

hmmmmmmmm

Post by turbzzz »

I had the same prob, just take the cap off the dizzy and point the gear towards point no' 1(from cyl 1), this can be done pulling the dizzy out, then moving the gear(make sure the metal piece is pointing towards point 1) in the right position then putting the dizzy back in, should fire then, you may also need to remove the rocker cover and rotate the crank until the valves from cylinder one are up and in firing position.

Regards

Wayne
________
Michigan Dispensaries
Last edited by turbzzz on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

Thanks Wayne. Think I have the dizzy problem sorted because it splutters and tries to idle now, but dies as soon as i touch the accelerator. If left on it's own it dies within a second of catching. Any suggestions?

It is running(sic) MPI and LTX8.

cheers

tom.
turbzzz
Lil' Dorifto

hmmmmmmm

Post by turbzzz »

A loose vaccum line perhaps? No fuel getting delivered?
________
Free Gift Cards
Last edited by turbzzz on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

Tom, i think you are probably still 1 tooth out with the dizzy alignment.
get a timing light in there to check.
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

Been playing with the timing to no avail. When it's cranked to TDC (Cam gear dot @ 9 o'clock) the flat spot on the dizzy is just about where cyl one on the dizzy cap is (approx 6 o'clock).

Very annoying since it cranks, catches then dies in the arse. And yes ive tried kicking it but to still no avail.

cheers

tom.
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

Ok been tinkering, and she fires up now. Problem is she still wont idle.. revving to about 900rpm then dies. Really really shits me. Also sounds like its running on 3 cylinders, very uneven firing. I am getting very close to that fateful straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, smoke coming out of the EGR valve means a dead cylinder.. right??

cheers

tom.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

your ignition leeds are on the wrong plugs, or the leeds and plugs are breaking down

ashly
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

I followed the IGN leads as per the MT manual.

If charlie could be so kind as to help me, Id like to know if the wiring schematic is correct. Which colour wires are meant to go to which cylinder?

I have:
Yellow = 1
Orange = 4
Yellow/Black = 3
Orange/Black = 2

.. as per the manual.

PS Sneak Peek

cheers

tom.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Tom,

I had this same problem when I was sorting out my new engine last year. If the timing and wiring is correct, check your fuel lines, filters and fuel rail and make sure that they aren't blocked. I checked my fuel line to the rail, but neglected to check the return fuel line. Turned out that my fuel rail was blocked at the return end.

I will double check the wiring for the ignition for you, but if the car is starting and the IGN light is pulsing on the MT then the wiring is fine.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

I had the same issue yesterday and my leads 2 and 3 were around the wrong way (removed my leads to put my heat shields on pics later) she started idled rough and when i reved it, it died when it went over 1000rpm
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

she still doesnt want to stay started. I have tried swapping the leads around but i think they are the right way round. think ill need to get the inj tested. I only asked abt the IGN because my manual has a few colours crossed out and rewritten in pen (though photocopied).

cheers guys

tom.