How Strong is it?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
CaptainShiner
Big Dorifto

How Strong is it?

Post by CaptainShiner »

Hey questions for all you smart folks out there with the experience....

Just wondering how much power some of you guys who are racing are putting through the diff, and what diff are you using?

I've had an engine built for my car for racing - am going to probably have 450hp at the flywheel. Well thats what my engine builder is telling me anyways. I would probably be happy with 150 - 200 seeing as I haven't driven the car in two years now. :(

I just have an old single spinner that came brand new with the car when it was made in 83 - and I fear it will fly appart within about 3 mins. So just wondering if the Starion LSD's can take the punishment, if not, what are some of you others using???

I've had a look at a Skyline diff not sure if it will fit yet, as I have to measure etc, but does anyone else have any ideas??
...and on the seventh day god made mercedes.... and he saw it was perfect...
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Yepoon, Probably the nearest starion south of my place.

Daves JA has 300Bhp and the diff hasnt broken
Bodeo's JA has made 350bhp and hasnt broken the Diff

Both have JB type LSD 3.55:1
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
benny
I love starions

Re: How Strong is it?

Post by benny »

CaptainShiner wrote: I've had a look at a Skyline diff not sure if it will fit yet, as I have to measure etc, but does anyone else have any ideas??
/me runs outside to see if his minispooled equiped '88 skyline diff will fit :P hehehe
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Are the widebody diffs the same as the JB\JD ones? Bodeo has the widebody one! :?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

some widey body diffs are bigger!

i have an 88 model one which is the biggest i think its a 8.5"!

not 100% sure someone else will know for sure.
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

There are two basic types of starion diff - small & large.
JAs and early JBs came with the small type and LSDs are very uncommon in this size. Because they are smaller they are inherently weaker. It is hard to quantify HP levels they will start to complain, but it depends entirely on driving style. To cut a long story short - if you plan on making power and drive 'enthusiastically' then upgrade to the..

Large diff. Found in late JBs, JDs and widebodies. There are different diff ratios and configurations, but they all share the same basic geometry. Most will be LSD. '88/89 widebodies had a small upgrade with an increase in CV shaft diameter and 6 bolt hubs. They are the strongest available, but any large housing will handle what most people can dish out.

If you are in the minority that have eleventybillion HP or drive like a rock-ape, then consider grafting another makers diff in. Choose carefully to avoid headaches for minimal gain. Look for strength, but most importantly aftermarket availability of LSD/torsen centres and variety of diff ratios.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Abuse it and you will probably break it. Like pretty much everything. Have a bit of common sense and it should perform well
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i dont know of anyone breaking a small type lsd diff. maybe if they didnt change their diff oil for ages and raped it they might, but as al said, common sense is the key!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

if this race car is substantially lighter than stock weight, that buys u more margin.
Is this a 450hp sohc 2L ?
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

im putting 210kw down atw, the large LSD is holding up nicely.
CaptainShiner
Big Dorifto

Post by CaptainShiner »

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

I certainly won't be flogging the diff, whilst I do intend to race, both circuit sprints and drag, I am more interested in not having to have the car back in the workshop after every event.

I have a mate that races a torana, that cannot understand the concept of looking after a car, so hence we are putting the its 3rd engine in over the last 2 & a 1/2 years. :x

In response to
Is this a 450hp sohc 2L ?
In full expectation of a good heckling from the crew here, it will be a 5.8L SOHC.

I bought the car from a bloke that had blown up the original starion motor, and placed a commodore V6 into it. I have been living out in Western Queensland for the majority of the last 5 years, and sourcing good mechanics and parts for anything but a holden or a ford is a nightmare. :(

Fortunately a holden V8 uses the same mounts as the v6, so I decided to go the v8 as an acheivable option. I also love cubic inches. Managed to sit the engine and gearbox well back, but it will be heavy in the front end. The car will at least suit drag racing (have a track locally), not so good at the circuit (closest one is about 600kms away). But should have fun anyways.

I probably could have spent the time and effort to get a proper motor for the car, and it certainly would have been less a of a nightmare I imagine, considering the hassles and cost of putting this motor in. I had thought of just buying a holden to race, but couldn't bear the thought of not driving the starion...

I'll post some pics in a couple of weeks if anyone is interested. Other than that guys, hammer away. :D
...and on the seventh day god made mercedes.... and he saw it was perfect...
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I thought 5.8 was a typo until I read on. Stroked 5l would be an interesting proposition. Plenty of V8's have been done in the US, so why not here. Keep us (me!) informed.