Splutter at higher revs? New to board

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
beamz
[P] Plates

Splutter at higher revs? New to board

Post by beamz »

Hi Guys just thought is say Gday after picking up a JB Starion on the weekend. Got it cheap and for the cash i payed the car seems fairly good.
Car runs fine and has a bit o grunt when i need it, but at higher revs the engine splutters a bit.. not all the time but it sounds like it starves for fuel or something like that. I have searched the boards to try and see if i can track down a thread that may help, but i dont know what im really looking for as im a bit new to the ole Starion and Turbo.
If anyone may be able to throw me a few "check this and that" or know a thread i should look at that would be great.
Cheers
Craig
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Which state are you in ?

As there may be someone nearby you willing to have a look at it for you :beer

Sounds like you have Ignition issues though, so check the leads and plugs. If they seem ok, check all the contacts on the Distributor cap and Ignition coil.

Could also be your Injector clips/connectors which corrode after some time giving bad contact aswell....... and last thing to check if all of the above is good, would be to swap over the Airbox over with a known good working one or the E101 Ignitor or the Boost Sensor, but yeah, could be a million things really, but best to track it down so that its sorted once and for all :P
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
beamz
[P] Plates

Post by beamz »

Thats a great start for me thanks. The engine itself has had a fair bit of tinkering with by the previous owner and although it does seem to run pretty good there a few "home" jobs that need to be looked at. At least that gives me something to go on.
Thanks so much
Im in WA.
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

Does it feel like it's missing/jerking when accelerating? - Could be your vacuum advance unit. They often develop holes in the diaphragm. Located underneath distributor. Pics of said Starion?
cannonballer
[P] Plates

Post by cannonballer »

I had the same problem with my staz....turned out to be an ignition problem, so yeah.giv that a look
beamz
[P] Plates

Post by beamz »

Checked out all coil,sparks, dizzy cap and seems good or are now better.
One thing i noticed is that the dizzy timing is all the way over on the adjuest bolt. If i try and bring it anyway further away from this the car does not start or idle. Took off vacuum line to advance unit and car bossts well, albiet a tiny splutter at top revs but otherwise pulling very strong. My guess from using the search function is that this advance unit is stuffed, but one question if someone can answer is.. Would this then mean that the dizzzy would need to be adjusted all the way over in order for the car to go ie is this a fault if the advance unti is stuffed. One other thing is is that it look like its from a wreckers and has the words Cordia Turbo on the dizzy. Is it the same dizzy or replacement for the Starion?
Cheers for any advice.
ps vacuum line is back on but its spluttering again.
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

Hey craig, welcome to the forum Buddy!
Im guessing you bought the White JB "CNW 031" from E-bay!
You bastard, i sooo wanted that LOL . That car is a very good buy mate, im down in Busselton if ya need any help PM me :beer

Silas
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

BTW mate check for a good tight seal on your cross over pipe(Turbo end)
My staz when i first got it would leak air from here at high revs and splutter :(
Hope this helps!

Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Might also be "boost cut", check how much your turbo is boosting, factory setting is 14 psi BEFORE boost cut.
beamz
[P] Plates

Post by beamz »

thanks for your comments. I will check those things stated tomorrow, still find it a bit weird that the dizzy is all the way over though. I checked cam belt timing today and all is alined. If you remove the dizzy can u put it back in a few notches over to compensate or is it one fit only?
Thanks again.
Nice to be talking about cars again..been a while...
beamz
[P] Plates

Post by beamz »

Last one..

This one (previous owner pic on a Old Skool Toys Meet.
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Sounds to me that's what you need to do, obvisously the distributor has been put in, then the advanced or retarded to gain correct timing.
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

And this was the same car at collie a few months ago :twisted:

Did he give ya the semi-slicks with the car :beer

Silas
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

spluttering?

mine turned out to be a mixture of the following

Spark plugs (replaced the 3 DIFFERENT types in the engine with NGK)
Leads (replaced with eagle 8.8mm custom ones, originals ripped in half pulling them off... they were that shagged)
Dizzy Cap (replaced FACTORY one with after market one)
Rotor (same as above :wtf: )
Coil (replaced standard one with GT40, soon to be MSD Blaster2)

hope that helps :)
1983 JA Staz
beamz
[P] Plates

Post by beamz »

OK so.. checked cam timing and have adjusted.. checked dizzy and done the same.. car running very well now but!! The TURBO is moving!!! it rotates its self so that the connection pipe starts to then move inside it and then loses its seal.
Two q's (1) Why does it move and how do i stop that?
(2) The pipr that goes into the Turbo just sits in there with a rubber seal.. Is it meant to have anything else.. this seems weird..
And yes when the turbo moves enough it leaks and then splutters.. But when you push it back down (turbo that is) it goes very hard!.
Thanks again
Craig