Dispelling some MYTHS !!!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Dispelling some MYTHS !!!

Post by toysrus »

It has come to my attention on numerous occasions that people who should know what they are talking about don't......

When doing a compression test, you will notice that the Pressures inside each Cylinder get up to about 150psi @ ~ 250rpm, and this is without Spark / Combustion......

So putting this into perspective, running an extra 25psi of Air into the Engine isn't going to do any damage :roll:

Secondly, 25psi with a TC06-11a isn't the same as 25psi from a TD06-20G, the pressure is but the volume of Air they flow are completely different. It is this volume of Air which dictates how much HP the Engine makes, and in turn the Peak Cylinder Pressures. It is exactly these pressures which Kill an Engine, not how much Boost your running :roll:

In conclusion we know that at about 280-300 Flywheel Hp (certain XXX Cylinder Pressure), the majority of stock Pistons let go and collapse. We also know that the revised Ring/Ring land combination on the later Mitsubishi designs happily hold up to ~ 450 Flywheel Hp. Anything above that is unknown territory as the majority of Users upgrade to Forged pistons to give them the extra safety margin when tuning.

So to sum it all up, next time I hear someone go, "man, your gonna blow your engine running that much boost", don't be surprised if I call you an ignorant :wink:

/End rant !
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

Regardless what you say, its how you bring yourself across... your still a f**king w**ker!

More so, my N/A sigma had 150psi across all cylinders.. I could have run 25psi through that no problems?

I'm no physicist or engineer, But I know for a fact these engines cir come to head issues running standard boost. Plus running STANDARD replacement pistons with the sort of pressure sea level = 14.7psi (1 Bar) air pressure then adding an extra complete atmosphere PLUS 11pound of pressure into the engine, and you think its going to be reliable? You are NOT spending the money to strengthen the engine to be pushing the additional pressure into it.

I don't know how many disco biscuits you consume buddy... But your logic is flawed

More over, the only reason this has come up is because your too much of a tight arse to afford forged pistons
1983 JA Staz
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

i can run 25psi with my tc05/06 without doing any damage? Or is it the pressure of the air wont kill my engine, but the volume of the air at 25psi will?

Considering the volume of air in the engine is relative to the pressure of the air through the turbo, wouldn't it be safe to say 25psi will do damage to my engine, due to the volume of air it puts out?
_

Post by nzgsr »

i knw of a factory dash sigma that was run on 20psi daily for 8months before it shat its self was stock bar exaust
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

8 months is hardly anything to brag about...
1983 JA Staz
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

Running 25psi of boost wont add 25psi to your cylinder pressure to give you 175psi, it adds 25psi to the intake pressure which is then compressed to give you a much higher cylinder pressure. So an Intake pressure of 39.7psi (25psi boost + 14.7psi atmospheric) would give a cylinder pressure closer to 300psi than 175psi. There are many factors that affect cylinder pressure other than boost pressure so I can't give you a real figure but yours is way out, it's also why an engine which runs 7.8:1 compression doesn't give you a compression test reading of 115psi like you'd expect but one much higher like 150psi.

Your right that boost isn't what causes an engine to break, it's heat and detonation, but in most cases (without a way of tuning for example) boost and engine health are pretty closely related.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

AB, Cylinder Pressures go way above 300Psi, 150Psi is only @ 250rpm (i.e Time), so imagine what it is @ 6000Rpm + Combustion ;)
Chryzla wrote:More over, the only reason this has come up is because your too much of a tight arse to afford forged pistons
Are you serious ? rofl

Anyhow, this isn't a pissing contest, the old cliche "Why fix something thats not broken" comes to mind... :wink:

I'm only here to help you'se guys see the light.... :roll:

Its just sad to see people stuck in the old ways/thinking when things have changed so much from the past, that what worked in the past, doesn't necessarily need to be followed anymore :beer

If you can't handle a shit stirrer behind a Keyboard then you need to get out more.....
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
AB

Re: Dispelling some MYTHS !!!

Post by AB »

toysrus wrote: So putting this into perspective, running an extra 25psi of Air into the Engine isn't going to do any damage :roll:
Good, so you agree that this ^ is incorrect then?
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

decoy wrote:i can run 25psi with my tc05/06 without doing any damage? Or is it the pressure of the air wont kill my engine, but the volume of the air at 25psi will?

Considering the volume of air in the engine is relative to the pressure of the air through the turbo, wouldn't it be safe to say 25psi will do damage to my engine, due to the volume of air it puts out?
If you have an Aftermarket EMS wired in and the Fuel Maps mapped out to 30psi, then you'll be fine. The only problem you'll encounter is that the TC06 is rated above 300Hp so you'll most likely kill the stock pistons within weeks...
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Re: Dispelling some MYTHS !!!

Post by toysrus »

AB wrote:
toysrus wrote: So putting this into perspective, running an extra 25psi of Air into the Engine isn't going to do any damage :roll:
Good, so you agree that this ^ is incorrect then?
Well no generalisation that BIG can ever be correct :D
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

Okeyyy...im lost.
If the inlet pressure dont tell me anything about the "mass" then how does my engine management know how much fuel to put in the engine by monitoring the inlet pressure and the inlet air temp ?
Just to say that 25psi dont destroy your engine because the mass is diffrent?!?! dosent the inlet pressure and temp tell everything about how much mass that flows ? in the same engine that is, when u have 10 psi inlet pressure when the valve opens u force in x cfm of air but at 25 psi u force in xx cfm of air. and the mass should stay the same if the rpm and air temp is the same ?! at the same pressure that is! am i totaly lost now ?
The thing witch distroys the engine is about total static compressosion ? thats what i`ve learned. if u have 150psi and add 10 psi if boost you cant just add the boost, u have to add % off extra air thats been forced in ?
And at 20 psi ur about 100% ??

Again sorry for the english and correct me if im totaly out on the field :oops:
vroooom pttshhh!! :D
AB

Post by AB »

The tuner tells the ECU the mass of air that will enter the engine at X psi with a particular turbo, if you change to a different turbo the mass will be different at the same pressure and you'll need to get it retuned.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

toysrus wrote: Its just sad to see people stuck in the old ways/thinking when things have changed so much from the past, that what worked in the past, doesn't necessarily need to be followed anymore :beer
Did someone change the theory of relativity or the laws of physics lately? shit... where have I been...

My bad bro.... my bad
1983 JA Staz
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

guys just break it down to 1+1=2....

stock engine with stock turbo at stock boost will pump ( or flow ) (a) amount of air at (b) pounds per square inch into the cylinder to be compressed at x:1 (c)

a @ b x c will be total pressure
e.g. 100cfm @ 9psi x 7.8:1

so that would mean with extra boost say double stock would be

(a x 2) @ (b x 2) x b
e.g. 200cfm @ 18psi x 7.8:1

so double the boost at the start = twice the pressure at the end plus the extra heat from twice the air flow

its simple maths....

if it ain't broke don't fix it.... why risk breaking it if you can get something stronger :)
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

toysrus wrote:
decoy wrote:i can run 25psi with my tc05/06 without doing any damage? Or is it the pressure of the air wont kill my engine, but the volume of the air at 25psi will?

If you have an Aftermarket EMS wired in and the Fuel Maps mapped out to 30psi, then you'll be fine. The only problem you'll encounter is that the TC06 is rated above 300Hp so you'll most likely kill the stock pistons within weeks...
what turbo can i run at 25psi then without doing damage? :D
_