4g64 2.4ltr What is needed to run twin cam turbo setup???

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Starion VR4 wrote:Ah no, 7Bolt usually don't have the extra gallery/material to enable oil squirter's to be fittted. DON"T use this block. get a 6 Bolt engine :beer
Ive already brought it. I guess we'll see what its like when I get it. Im geting the flywheel and clutch with it, so I can compare them with the starion one's.
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

slowboy??
hmmm... I know a "well off" guy who dreams of stuff/writes checks.
Had slowboy build him a 2.4L to replace his perfectly running 2L, then he flew them in to tune his new 'beast' - *after* the 1st 2.4 crank actually snapped! A crapload $$$$$ later, what he wound up with was a slower car that never again saw its previous 2L highwater mark of 7.4sec ET on 1/8th... Loads of BS excuses and disaster, ever since SB touched the car.
Owner got discouraged (understandably) and shelved that "toy".
slowboyracing.com is controversial with the u.s. DSM community... and these sort of outcomes may be a big part of the reason. Be careful
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

I would personally stay away from SlowBoy Racing, have read of too many issues with them and also had problems with them as well......
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

quest wrote:slowboy??
hmmm... I know a "well off" guy who dreams of stuff/writes checks.
Had slowboy build him a 2.4L to replace his perfectly running 2L, then he flew them in to tune his new 'beast' - *after* the 1st 2.4 crank actually snapped! A crapload $$$$$ later, what he wound up with was a slower car that never again saw its previous 2L highwater mark of 7.4sec ET on 1/8th... Loads of BS excuses and disaster, ever since SB touched the car.
Owner got discouraged (understandably) and shelved that "toy".
slowboyracing.com is controversial with the u.s. DSM community... and these sort of outcomes may be a big part of the reason. Be careful
Good to know.
You may have saved me hundreds of dollars.
Who would you recommend?

And what is the deal with cambelts? Can you get one for a 4g64 twin cam? Im guessing I can't use a VR4 one as the block hight is 6mm higher.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

What did you want to order from SlowBoy Racing ? So that I know where to send you :beer

PM starionVR4 about the cambelt issue, I'm sure you can probably find a Dayco belt with the extra length to compensate ?
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

toysrus wrote:What did you want to order from SlowBoy Racing ? So that I know where to send you :beer ?
I guess it depends on weather I need 4g63 stroker pistons (if Im using the 4g64 crank in a 4g63 block) or oversized VR4 ones (4G64 block)

Can I use the 4g64 7 bolt crank in the 4g63 6 bolt block? I know Ill have to get some rods to suit the 7 bolt crank (I haven't bought rods yet for this resin). But will it fit the block?
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Can I use the 4g64 7 bolt crank in the 4g63 6 bolt block? I know Ill have to get some rods to suit the 7 bolt crank (I haven't bought rods yet for this resin). But will it fit the block?[/quote]
No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7bolt block has a main bearing support girdle & wont adapt to the 63 block :x
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

OLD FART wrote:Can I use the 4g64 7 bolt crank in the 4g63 6 bolt block? I know Ill have to get some rods to suit the 7 bolt crank (I haven't bought rods yet for this resin). But will it fit the block?
No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7bolt block has a main bearing support girdle & wont adapt to the 63 block :x[/quote]

Yes but I could just use the 6 bolt main caps. It just depends if the main caps (and there for the main bearings) are the same size.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

No you can't use the 7 Bolt crank in the 6 Bolt block..... Stick to the 7 Bolt bottom-end if you can make the Clutch work ?
TWIMCAM BOY
I like starions more

Post by TWIMCAM BOY »

hey mate,
i would be asking derek (vr4starion) for his number and ringing him up for a dicussion about the engines what works with what! HE IS VERY SWITCHED ON WHEN IT COME TO THE 4G63/54 i have spent many of hours talking to him tryin to steal his wisdom. lol ps thanks for your help derek
GO HARD OR GO HOME
zaidja83
I like starions

Post by zaidja83 »

TWIMCAM BOY wrote:hey mate,
i would be asking derek (vr4starion) for his number and ringing him up for a dicussion about the engines what works with what! HE IS VERY SWITCHED ON WHEN IT COME TO THE 4G63/54 i have spent many of hours talking to him tryin to steal his wisdom. lol ps thanks for your help derek
Agreed...Derek knows these engines and starions really well....Derek has worked on my car a couple of times..ie..alternator and fine tuning the wolf ecu and I can say for sure he has a wealth of knowledge on starions. So thanks again for the times you have helped me out :beer
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

yeah, the easiest route would be to consult someone who has sucessfully built a 2.4L. Doesn't Barney track a stroked 2.3 also.
There r ongoing debates on which build is 'best'. Tons of info online, try http://www.dsmtuners.com and here;
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/forumdisp ... ne=-1&f=52

While some DSM veterans have moved over to 2.4L street monsters, most have stuck with the 2L.
In this thread for example;
http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic ... 14&start=0
u see that guy GRNDSM ? Read his last post on that page, "Personally, I still prefer 2.0 to 2.4, performance wise…" words of a veteran
His car ETs a 10.123sec at 138. Thats ridiculously fast!!

One thing to consider is that the 2L is capable of whatever level of performance u could dream of... without the 'uncertainty' factor and expen$$$e/hassle of the 2.4

Heres one VERY clean & fast dohc 4g63 swapped into a starquest
http://www.joedogracing.com/questpics

For vendors;
My ex-coworker talked to this guy regularly, who built his awd gbox.
http://www.shepracing.com/
Guy is a genius... down to earth dude with one sick 7sec car.
Magnus and Buschur are reputable also
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Just a side note..... APC EVO 7 runs a 2.4L setup, does 8.7 in the 1/4 :wtf:, when its all said & done, what R u after? 300, 400,500HP :shock: or a streetable engine? :D U CANT BEAT CAPICITY. 2.4 will gine U more torque off throttle...... another point, if the 2L is so good, how come few of the USA guyes have converted back from there 2.6L units to a 2L? :o food for thought. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Just another note on that, many of the US guys get over 300HP easily with the 2.6's. I know the 2litre is lighter on the front end, but it is all dependent on what you are aiming for like derek said
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

WidebodyWoody wrote:Just another note on that, many of the US guys get over 300HP easily with the 2.6's. I know the 2litre is lighter on the front end, but it is all dependent on what you are aiming for like derek said
Well I guess Im aiming for a unique car. Thats why I drive a starion. This one Ive been building up for years and I want it to be something really really special. This is the one, out of the 20 or so Ive owned over the years, that Ill keep. I dont wont to have it finished and think to my self "if only Id done this or that different".
It almost seems too easy to do a 4G63 conversion.
I want 400hp at the wheels, I know I can get it from a 4G63, but if I use a 4G64 it will make that power with less effort. And be different than most starions.

The other reason I started the thread was to get all the info in one place, for easy reference.

Or maybe Im just nuts rofl
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage