O2 sensor and Air temp sensor

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Rola
Big Dorifto

O2 sensor and Air temp sensor

Post by Rola »

Hey guys, ive got a JA staz with an LT8 Microtech computer hooked up except for the oxygen sensor and the air temp sensor.

With the oxygen sensor there is only one wire going into the computer but four wires comming out of the oxygen sensor (2x black, white, blue), does anyone know if there is a way to hook this up?

With the air temp sensor, i dont know where it is on the engine... is there one on the standard 4G63? Again, the air temp sensor is a one wire connection...

Any help appreciated

Thanks guys.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

O2 sensor:

The two black wires are for positive and negative battery connections for the heater in the O2 sensor. (doesn't matter positive or negative for a heater element).

The Blue wire is for the O2 reading to the computer.

The white wire is the O2 reading negative - connect it to ground.
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

Cookiemonster wrote:O2 sensor:

The two black wires are for positive and negative battery connections for the heater in the O2 sensor. (doesn't matter positive or negative for a heater element).

The Blue wire is for the O2 reading to the computer.

The white wire is the O2 reading negative - connect it to ground.
Cool so i can hook it up to my computer, do u rekon it will make much difference?

Are there any accesory 12V wires close to where the O2 sensor is located on a JA starion?

Also any thoughts on the air temp sensor?
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

The factory air temp sensor is mounted inside the AFM housing which you'd normally get rid of when installing an aftermarket computer in order to run a pod air filter. It isn't much help anyway because it's before the turbo which is fine for an AFM metered system but no use in a MAP metered system. Installing a new one should be easy enough, any factory air temp sensor should work, you could get one from a junkyard for next to nothing.
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

AB wrote:The factory air temp sensor is mounted inside the AFM housing which you'd normally get rid of when installing an aftermarket computer in order to run a pod air filter. It isn't much help anyway because it's before the turbo which is fine for an AFM metered system but no use in a MAP metered system. Installing a new one should be easy enough, any factory air temp sensor should work, you could get one from a junkyard for next to nothing.
Hmm, all the AFM stuff is long gone, so i dont think ill be able to find that sensor. If i did get an air sensor where abouts should i install it?

Thanks for your help so far guys.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Not sure on your specific setup - but on my car (L300 MPI Manifold) there is a threaded hole at the back of the intake manifold pretty much pointing straight to the throttle body flapper.

That's where mine is.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

fr335tyl3r wrote:Not sure on your specific setup - but on my car (L300 MPI Manifold) there is a threaded hole at the back of the intake manifold pretty much pointing straight to the throttle body flapper.

That's where mine is.

Cool ive got L300 multi-point on my car too... ill have a look for air temp sensors some time tommorow.

One last question:

Do you guys think that installing the O2 sensor and the air temp sensor will make any difference to my car?
AB

Post by AB »

A narrow band oxygen sensor would only help with fuel economy at idle and cruise, assuming the LT8 can function in closed loop mode under those conditions, otherwise it wouldn't do anything.

The density of air changes with its temperature so the amount of fuel required is directly proportional to the air temperature. It probably only affects fuel economy again unless your running without an intercooler which in unlikely.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

The later model factory intercooled cars had air-intake temp sensors in the cross over pipe, just before the intake manifold.
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ive got a JD intercooler on my car but its a JA so i doubt the other air temp sensor is there.

Ill still get one though and plug it all in, better fuel economy can never hurt.
AB

Post by AB »

Are you sure about that Prozac? I can't see why an air flow metered car would need an air temp sensor in the ic piping, could it have been after market?
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

No, its factory. Can't really see the point either.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc