Vacuum hose???

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
chiefbrody
[P] Plates

Vacuum hose???

Post by chiefbrody »

Ok, second question of the day :)

I'll try explain cos i dont have batteries for my camera at the mo. I'm trying to find an example pic on the net now.

On the drivers side, attached to the inner wing in the engine compartment, near the bulkhead, behind the suspension turret

theres a small cylindrical black plastic thing with a vac hose going to the top. Theres also a hose attachment at the bottom but on mine theres no hose attached

Ok, first what does this do and second, should there be a hose attached to it, and where to/from?

Cheers chaps. Hopefully my repair manual will arrive soon... :p
chiefbrody
[P] Plates

Post by chiefbrody »

ok here we go its this bit - looks like its supposed to have a vacuum hose attached, but there isn't one attached to mine (not surprising, considering all the stuff I'm finding :( )

chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Wow! Mine is nothing like that! You have the 2.6 widebody right!? Maybe you should ask around in the U.S forums. Maybe some of the very few widey owners on Austarion can point you in the right direction though...

I have nothing in that corner. I also noticed that the little plastic 'barrel' above and to the right of the red circle in the first pic, with three hoses coming out, that little thing is located down next to my battery. I believe that's something to do with emissions!?

As for your little thing... I don't recall seeing anything like that in my engine bay.

Goodluck! :?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Looks a bit like an EGR solenoid. The ones on Oz-delivered beasties have 3 vac connections, and sit near the igniter.

Can you check near the front side of the throttle body and see if there's a metal vac diaphragm looking thing there? Looks like a bit like the vac advance unit on the dizzy. Note - I'm not sure whether the newer TB (i.e later than a JA) TB had this, and my JB is under a cover at the moment so I can't check.

If you haven't (or the vac in/outlets are blocked), you can just remove your black thing and plug the vac line - assuming it's the EGR solenoid, of course. In any case, if it's the EGR solenoid, it's safe to disconnect it with no ill effects.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
chiefbrody
[P] Plates

Post by chiefbrody »

Chunky - nah its a 2.0 intercooler, '88.

Tis a widey though.

I do have the diaphragm thing, its in pics, connected up. I've been looking at the vacuum 'map' thing too but not knowing what these bits are, its impossible to match the diagram up with the car :?

Ok - the top of the black thing is connected to a t piece into the vacuum line, which comes from the bottom hole on inlet manifold (annoted)

and goes off to the front of the car. It splits again in another t-piece, one end goes to the 'speed control actuator', then it continues on its merry way behind the front headlight:

JPC, this is what the diaphragm is connected up to:

chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Yep, that's the JB\JD throttlebody.

Here's my EGR thing...

I'm still at a loss as to what your little thing is for. I've checked through my entire engine bay and nothing resembles it. Maybe the JB\JD owners can help you!? :D
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

It could be the atmospheric pressure sensor. It usually connects to the stock airbox - is yours still stock?

Otherwise it could also be cruise control.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
chiefbrody
[P] Plates

Post by chiefbrody »

Cheers guys

Yeah the airbox is stock, but theres only one line like this connected to it, and thats the one coming out of the thing I now know as the EGR valve - the end thats all gunked up with glue in the first pic runs down and connects to the outside of the airbox. The line from this mystery thing dissapears under the airbox and onward. I'm gonna trace it today and see where it actually goes but it was getting late last night :p