Intercooler install

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Tezstaz
Newcomer

Intercooler install

Post by Tezstaz »

is it fairly easy to mount a 450x300x76 intercooler in a JA?could anyone let me know of any pitfalls or any good tips for installation cheers Tez :roll:
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

relativley easy, move your oil cooler back closer to the air con cooler and mount under the bonnet latch, just needs the lines bent and a couple new bolts.

It can be installed without loss of any washer bottles and overflows if done right with enlarged stock holes and slim fans.
any questions just ask
heres my setup:
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.php?t=8072
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
starion4me
I've been here before

Post by starion4me »

mate you can install a 600x300 easily and it is completely in the air flow
Chrysler Conquest (SOLD)
270.6 Kw (362 HP) @ the wheels
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

Would you recommend the 600 x300x? for a twin cam mpi turbo upgrade or a larger unit? I don't want to increase lag. What core thickness is yours and what price should I expect to pay? Cheers Steve
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

I have a 600 x300 x75 custom PWR i/c & dont have n e lag once it is in the cam powerband & in the right gear
But i must point out that mine is mounted in the aircon position 2 get the shortest possible pipework in order2 minimise lag
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I think a 600x300 is an ideal size for a starion as it fit between the chasis rail depending on how low you mount it and the design of the intercooler cores. As for lag, i doubt there would be much difference between say a 450 wide core vs a 6oo wide core. As for price you can but one as cheap as $175 for a 600 x 300 x 75 from just jap which is a copy of the hybrid core or something more expensive like from pwr.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

Mines a 450x300 Hybrid! Fits nice between the rails, but as far as lag.....
Ill let ya know in a year when im done :x
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

starion4me wrote:mate you can install a 600x300 easily and it is completely in the air flow
Has your opinion on your intercooler changed at all? Would you install it as you have pictured above? I would be interested to see any pics of your pipe work as I am considering core size and positioning of the cooler. I also have a widebody and your spoiler/cooler looks almost factory from the front. I don't want it to be noticeable from the front like some that hang down and have pipework exposed. Also what size pipe work out of the cooler, I was thinking 2 1/2", would 3" from the cooler into 2 1/2" pipework be a better option or advantage?
starion4me
I've been here before

Post by starion4me »

i have a nissan motor in mine so the pipe work would be quite different mate. theres a few pics on my website on the car page

thanks
Chrysler Conquest (SOLD)
270.6 Kw (362 HP) @ the wheels