MPI - What will fit

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oped
I like starions more

MPI - What will fit

Post by oped »

Hey guys, just wondering, everyone seems to do the L300 MPI upgrade... But surely there has to be a better MPI upgrade then the injectors off a van?

Is there any other MPI which bolts straight on? And if it doesnt bolt straight on is there much expense on getting it to fit on?

Ive seen these ones on alot of cars in fast fours and they look like a big chrome cylinder, does anyone know anything about them?

Because surely the injection system is a major factor in HP.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Sonarta is the best manifold to use, little modification but all in all the beast manifold to use. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

You wouldn't use the L300 injectors, they'd be far too small. Injectors are easilly interchangeable so you can use any size you want. The intake manifold wont be a limiting factor unless your making extreme levels of power in which case you'd go custom.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

L300 is fine, easiest upgrade to do due to the fact that the throttle body points the same was as the original.

Both VR4/Evo and Series4/5 RX7 injectors fit in the l300 fuel rail/manifold
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

VR4 injectors are usually pretty easy to come across though a couple of different ways and you have to be making pretty large power levels to max them out.

Also there is nothing wrong with either the L300 or the sonata one as they are one both suited to run a 2.4 NA engine vs a 2L turbo. I have a XF throttle body on the L300 one and had no problems with flow at all.

Even if you wanted to get a custom one often the bottom half of the manifold is used to have the injectors mounted and it's just a custom plenum mounted to it for a larger volume suited to the turbo aplication.

There are plenty of people on here that have used both manifolds making pretty decent power. There are alot more things to spend money on in perfornace gains before you'll even come close to maxing out the flow of either manifold.

Sonata better for mounting a bigger intercooler giving shorter piping.

L300 one better due to direct replacement with less mods needed to fit.
L300 one i think also has better flow properties due to a more even flow of air to each cylinder due to it's symetrical design.

Both are easy to mount larger throttle bodys to. L300 one just needs some filling of a void and boring out to the right size. XF falcon one bolts on with just a little enlongation of the holes on the throttle body. The soata one you just get done when the throttle body gets moved to the other end.

L300 has the thermostat at the front same as the staz and the sonata one has it mounted at the back with just needs some extra hosing and a different housing.

ALso does any one know if there is any real difference in the cooling of the engine because of the difference in the thermostat outlet being at the rear or front. Do the sonatas have the water pump on the back or front of the block alowing the coolant to flow through differently.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

surely you can get a new cone welded at the front of the sonata manifold if you want?

anyone got a picture of the sonata manifold from afew angles??
1983 JA Staz
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

As requested

Image :beer
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

What woops has said is pretty much right on the money as performance wise the differences are small. But the sonata one requires more modifications to fit, and in regards to have the thermostat at the back, there doesnt seem to be any difference between cooling with the thermostat at the back as per the sonata manifold.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

I suppose you just have to weigh up:
would you rather have something from a van on your car, or something from a Hyundai? :D

Here's some info on a custom one Chris Collier makes from the L300 mainfold:
http://beyondthelimit.com.au/parts%20inlet%20man.html
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Chris 83JA wrote:I suppose you just have to weigh up:
would you rather have something from a van on your car, or something from a Hyundai? :D

Here's some info on a custom one Chris Collier makes from the L300 mainfold:
http://beyondthelimit.com.au/parts%20inlet%20man.html
Given that our engines come from a truck does it really matter :D

Using the L300 manifold and putting a forward facing plenum like the Chris Collier one will give you the best features of both manifolds but is a more expensive option.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five