Screamer pipe and emissions questions

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
woops
Big Dorifto

Screamer pipe and emissions questions

Post by woops »

Does anyone know if it'd be legal to have a screamer pipe on a starion. It'd have it's own muffler and exhaust system parallel to the turbo outlet. It would have no cat as would the exhaust but it would still exit after the diff.

Also would you have to have a cat on a starion engine in queensland if you are running a 16g and also a multipoint inlet manifold. The reason for asking this is because the inlet and and turbo are both post 85 emissions gear but the engine is pre 85 emissions.

Does emissions requirements go on just what engine it is. Also would that change if you went to the twin cam head but still used the starion block. The engine would be essentially a post 85 system with pretty much everything in it apart from the block.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

A screamer pipe is illegal to have but the type you are describing isnt in fact a screamer pipe. It would be legal how you describe but another option is instead of running its own muffler to join the piping back to the main exhaust just prior to your main system's muffler.

As for a cat from what I understand its specific to the engine or more importantly the car the engine comes from. The cars themselves go under the emissions test, so when you transplant the engine from another car the emission gear from the other car needs to come with it, hence why you cant put in an engine from an older car.

So in answer to your question i believe that you wont need to run a cat as technically you still have the orginal starion engine.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five