Need New ECU - So many different types

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

EMS price is attractive.
If willing to do your own tuning, fuelinjectionpro.com ecu from the states uses megatune software also and is already setup for starions, base map & loom included. You can start with a fuel-only (under $500usd) and +$185 later adds ignition control. Not a bad deal.
Some have run 28+psi on their 2.6 motors, so you should be able to fetch an aggresive map to tweak, should you feel adventurous.

If you have a nissan ecu hacker in your midst, you could get away with a cheap management system by adapting ca18 or sr20 ecu & loom. Lots of motors about controller by other manufacturers ecu. Messy part is adapting/syncronizing the cam angle sensor then fitting the others.
On the plus side, Nissan ecu are tuner friendly and ext coils r std. $300 Greddy emanage blue works well on the nissans also.

Most interesting MPI conversion thread I've read on austarion was the use of the stock ecu controlling 4 injectors.
Don't know what ever became of that setup though.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

The main benefits of the apexi is its easy to install and cheaper to tune as decent maps are preloaded on them. If you went to the trouble of retro fitting the loom and sensors to the starion you've just lost the main benefits of the apexi.

In australia we are spoilt for choice when it comes to ecus with everything from entry level ecus to full data logging with anti-lag and traction control race orientated systems.

I believe the ems is really the way to go as its reasonably priced and you have good aftermarket support as well as tuners who are compentent in tuning them in australia.

If you really a keen diy, contact edge who has used the stock starion ecu to control mpi. If you combine this with something like a greedy emange (which you can buy cheaply secondhand) you will have some control over the injection.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

on the nissan ecu option, thats why I mention "ecu hacker". Point was you can have that ecu custom mapped perfectly to your modifications for reasonable money - some street 1.8/2.0Ls in the 4-500hp range.
No need to spend $$$ for the apexi, thats optional for the diy tinkerer.
Many nissan enthusiats here do their own eprom tuning. While there is a learning curve, its hard to match the very low equipment cost.

Sure you guys have no shortage of ecu selections.
Whats unique about the FIP; a couple of hardcore staz enthusiasts married/supports a reasonably priced/capable system specifically to the starion, with some amazing results from clubmembers. Haven't seen that particular mix offered anywhere else.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

wolf 3d ver4 no longer available. very silly idea for wolf as they've lost their market share in that end of the market, replacing it with a much more expensive ecu.

ems stinger is the way to go at this end of the market, sure dont have a huge feature list, but they are a solid unit at an awesome price! or a haltech E6X for not too many dollars more, with more features and brand new sensors!

forget the apexi, thats just a silly idea, as for reasons stated above!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

Sorry to hijack but i have been looking at upgrading from my haltech F9A to a newer haltech. What are the major benifits of the E8 vs E6X. I haven't been able to find a really direct comparison of the two models to see if the extra 400 bucks is worth it.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'll tell u for sure in a coupla months, i'm putting one on my gemini..

main thing that attracts me is the self tuning "target afr" feature. still gotta research it fully though. has other extra features 2.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

The EMS 8860 also has an autotune feature with target AFR's :D
1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

quest wrote:on the nissan ecu option, thats why I mention "ecu hacker". Point was you can have that ecu custom mapped perfectly to your modifications for reasonable money - some street 1.8/2.0Ls in the 4-500hp range.
No need to spend $$$ for the apexi, thats optional for the diy tinkerer.
Many nissan enthusiats here do their own eprom tuning. While there is a learning curve, its hard to match the very low equipment cost.

Sure you guys have no shortage of ecu selections.
Whats unique about the FIP; a couple of hardcore staz enthusiasts married/supports a reasonably priced/capable system specifically to the starion, with some amazing results from clubmembers. Haven't seen that particular mix offered anywhere else.
The ecu hacker for the nissan is great for a nissan not a starion as the cost and trouble to retro fit the loom, sensors and cas will cost you more than going an aftermarket ecu.

As for the FIP my opinon is why go for an ecu that cost as much as an ems, has no support in australia, has no one that tunes it in australia and probably hasnt as many functions as the ems. As I said previously in australia you are spoiled for choice when it comes to ecu's why muck around with other options unless you have the technical knowledge to run you own diy system.

quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

in many cases the purchase and setup cost is considerably less (vs ecu, loom, ignitor, map sensor, etc.). That is why some deem it attractive, feasible and still practice it.
For instance, 4g64b here runs a GM ecu doesn't he.
There is a stock nissan 2.4L street S13 here making well over 350hp atw managed by an mitsubishi Eclipse 2L ecu and loom.
You can usually find donor vehicles for next to nothing. My last DSM donor (bad motor/no gearbox) was $150usd.
Total cost depends on who/how well you plan your route, so can't say outright.

Is FIP "support" any more involved than us communicating online ? Their staz expertise manifests itself in results from the product.
Numerous megasquirt ecus swim accross the pond to australia, despite the available choices and no support.
End user determines what options are viable.
I suppose a difference in culture is reflected here, where most on this side learn to tune their own cars.
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Quest again you have missed the point, firstly do you seriously think that the orginal poster of this question will have the technical knowledge to be able to sit down and be able to work out which each wire for the nissan loom is connected to and be able to fit a nissan cas on a starion motor?

Sure if you have the technical knowledge and the time you can make other manufacturer's ecu work in different cars, hell you if you are good enough you can do what mrb1 has done and built his own ecu. As for your s13 example could he have not had the same results using a nissan computer.

As for support, online support is just one form, but there is only so much you can do online, there are many faults you can not diagnose unless the car is right in front of you. How do you get that with the FIP, fly someone from the states over? Where with the ems you have many dealers can diagnose your car if the need so arises.

As you said the end user determines what is viable, there are going to be people who prefer to buy an entry level ecu like a ems and have the ease of installing a loom that is well labled and easier to install, then there are going to be people who will build there own ecu or retrofit one from another manufacturer. But seriously in this situation what do you think the person asking the orginal question is capable of?

Yes there is a different culture in australia, not relating to the ones ability to tune their own car but the fact that australia and the states have access to two different type of dynos. As the dyno dynamic dynos here can hold a constant load tuning is done on a dyno as in the end its safer and in some ways better. Where you have access to the dynojet being an inertia based dyno you cant hold the constant load like you can with the dyno dynamics one. Without going into a shitfight about which one is better you can see the cultural difference with what each party has access to.

oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Is the Microtech MT4 a good ECU?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

well its a cheap ecu.......

quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Rice
Level of technical knowledge alone won't necessarily dictate the course.
Newbies come to a forum, ask the right questions, make the proper contacts OR spend the coin, a relatively short time later they can have a weapon of a ride.
I believe the primary focus here is a brief introduction to options available, rather than technical know how. The more informed one is leads to better decisions don't you think.

Nobody needs to know every wire for a nissan ecu. You're blowing that way out of proportion. Engine loom/ecu are easily extracted from an s13. Took only 4 or 5 wires connected (from memory) to get my nissan swap running.... besides info is readily available. Where ? on the net of course.

I seriously doubt you'd find a more staz-friendly ecu than the FIP. The support, ease of installation, info sharing, available maps and combos -for a staz- is uparalelled imo... from TBI basic to full blown 30+psi MPI has been documented.
*Novices* have received their system via mail, fitted and rave about its performance. No tuner, no dyno. Don't undermine online support. Like everything else, sure a few will have issues. Fly in FIP ????

I agree, fruitless getting into a dyno fight. One glance at the end result will simply tell you immediately it makes feckall difference (as u guys say). Top performing cars produced on either, case closed.

Speaking of dynos, I just got back riding with a friend who swap a 2jz in his s13, put it on the rollers impromptu out of curiousity... laid down 502hp atw, $550 turbo. 1st time he ever saw a dyno, his 1st standalone/ tuned himself. Panel beater by trade. Car is frightening. What more could one ask for ?
I'd say there definitely is a cultural difference... has nothing to do with dynos
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Dont piss fart around trying to save a few bucks. You would be better off spending the money straight up and getting the right thing first time.

It will cost you more in the long run trying to do something cheap now
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
igottasicjb
I like starions more

Post by igottasicjb »

i agree with barney buy the right thing the first time and don't bother with cheap DIY jobs.

One word "motec"
boost = the replacement for displacement
<<<PIGS can fly