Wilwood Brake Problem

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
dirtysanchez

Wilwood Brake Problem

Post by dirtysanchez »

OK, my new brakes have arrived. Disks look right, calipers look fantastic, but the master cylinder looks all wrong.

I ordered PBR part number J1715 (as specified in the brake tech file) but the master cylinder has two exits for the brake fluid, both on the passanger side of the master cylinder which is almost right against the strut tower. Is this the wrong art or does it need some kind of modificatioin?

Also note that I got the new forged dynalite calipers which are supposed to replace the ones specfied in the tech file. Wilwood assure me they have absolutely identical specifications except that they are forged and have a slightly more rounded appearance. And they are incredibly light :D
C Fernance
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by C Fernance »

Also note that I got the new forged dynalite calipers which are supposed to replace the ones specfied in the tech file. Wilwood assure me they have absolutely identical specifications except that they are forged and have a slightly more rounded appearance. And they are incredibly light
Me thinks Cookie may have a slightly used set of Wilwoods for sale soon. :wink:
By day he is mild-mannered Chris Fernance, by night he becomes...ASTRON-man. "Defender of all things Scorpion, from the evil forces of COMMODORE-man"
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

is there anyone else that does brake conversions for the starions???
i was thinking of getting some ap racing calipers, or something similar.
i'll do this once i have built the engine as i will need the extra STOPPING power.
I had a look at the willwood brakes and the look awesome. I get alot of the hsv's and new BA gt's in at work and they have the premium brake upgrades on them, i also noticed that the new 350z has Brembos on it.
The gtr's have brembo's don't they?
Would it be worth while looking at changing the brake/ stud pattern setup, something similar to what i did to my XU-1 with the commondore callipers.
is it worth it?? or should i just get something that will replace the originals with bigger calipers? i enquired at Auto Salon at the DBA stand, i asked it they had brake upgrades for a starion and the response i got was
" starion, what's that??? don't nissan make that!!"
i laughed and left.
Maybe i should follow in the wise footsteps of fellow starion owners and go with the proven package.
:D
- el schmicko detailer -
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

C Fernance wrote:Me thinks Cookie may have a slightly used set of Wilwoods for sale soon. :wink:
Errr no I don't. :?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Re: Wilwood Brake Problem

Post by Cookiemonster »

dirtysanchez wrote:I ordered PBR part number J1715 (as specified in the brake tech file) but the master cylinder has two exits for the brake fluid, both on the passanger side of the master cylinder which is almost right against the strut tower. Is this the wrong art or does it need some kind of modificatioin?
I haven't used the upgraded master cylinder as per the tech article but it looks like it has a brake line attachment on the top and one on the passenger side. Is it a Tokico master cylinder? Send Merlin a PM and see if he can sort it out as he has actually fitted the M/C.
C Fernance
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by C Fernance »

Cookiemonster wrote:
C Fernance wrote:Me thinks Cookie may have a slightly used set of Wilwoods for sale soon. :wink:
But these forged ones are lighter!!!!
By day he is mild-mannered Chris Fernance, by night he becomes...ASTRON-man. "Defender of all things Scorpion, from the evil forces of COMMODORE-man"
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

C Fernance wrote:
Cookiemonster wrote:
But these forged ones are lighter!!!!
Im using the 120-4998 caliper. Billet aluminium. Caliper weighs 1.13 kgs.
Pretty light.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Note that I said the forged calipers were light, not lighter. I'm not sure how much they weigh, but it's certainly much less than any oem caliper I've come across.

But the new calipers are 'forged' so they must be better. They were also available in a 'polished' finish, these must be better still. I didn't go polished because they may well be capable of stopping the earths rotation and disrupting the space/time continuem rofl

I did note that both Cookie and Merlin chose non slotted rotors, was there any reason for this?

MelbStazz - any brake upgrade is an expensive process, 'The Wilwood Method' (patent pending) is by far the cheapest option. The Wilwood calipers are suprisingly inexpensive - far, far cheaper than AP. The most expensive component is the DBA disks. If you are thinking about going down this path let me know because I will make up an extra set of calliper mounting brackets when I have mine made.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

dirty sanchez wrote:I did note that both Cookie and Merlin chose non slotted rotors, was there any reason for this?
The solid rotors were on the shelf. The slotted rotors needed to be ordered in and the lead time was excessive.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

i had a set of skyline 4 spots for the brake upgrade initially, but eventually gave up, they just did not suite the strut arrangement.
the willwoods were relatively easy to fit.
the reason the honda NSX rotor was chosen is its offset is almost the same as a staz, and it has suitable diameters and thickness. (it is available in 282mm or 298mm dia).
the offset has to be similar or the rotor hits the lower steering ball joint.
after much trolling through the dba catalogue, cookie and i seperately arrived at the same conclusion, NSX is the only thing that will work, short of making up a full hat setup, which we were not about to try.
there some other calipers that can be used, that match the mounting pattern etc, as thes things are used in a class of competition in the US.
grand national, or something i think, the willwood sit should give that sort of info. Wantsom is using BrakeMan calipers, same pad and mounting setup etc. willwoods are now available from Aus suppliers for similar $ that cookie and i paid direct from the states.
my rotors were supposed to be slotted, but there was a mixup. :x
nevertheless, the overall result is,
:D :D :D
artinist
Lil' Dorifto

Post by artinist »

can someone please update us with the master cylinder part number and fitment issues.

whats the average price on it?

thanks.
Art
Engine bay
http://www.antiMpower.com
88 Starion 225rwhp@7psi on 91 octane
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

master cylinder part number jb1715
from a factory KC Ford Laser,10/85 - 10/87, 4 wheel disc, 7/8 bore (22.22mm)
unfortunatley i dont have one here to check but i will post up a pic and price on monday morning :beer
super special price for starions :twisted:
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

hey dave,

out of interest do rda have the equal for the nsx rotor part number dba #486? And how much would it be?

Cheers
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Guys I looked at the Willwood calipers & my engineer said that they r not legal 4 road reg cars as they dont have dust covers on the pistons so thats why I used 300zx units &Ihave a mod plate 4 the conversion
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Wilwood brakes

Post by dirty sanchez »

I am using the Wilwood conversion on my car and it has been also certified by the engineer. I think it depends on your engineer, so talk to them first

The part number for the master cylinder is JB1775 (JB1715 has the fluid outlet on the wrong side but would probably suit a left hand drive car). Mine is off a 88-96 Nissan Patrol and are $427 new from nissan or about $200 new aftermarket.