help plz stazz running bad

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
swade0
[L] Plates

help plz stazz running bad

Post by swade0 »

hey look guys need help. i read up bout the map sensor and checked all the pipes. then was running fine. went for a bit of a go in the rain HANG it. now it is runnin like crap. checked all the pipes again they are fine. its revin high then low. doesnt wanna hit boost all that well. coughs alot and at times it seems it wants to drive itself... when taking of accelerator it surges like the accelerator cable pulls a tiny bit then stops.. spent heaps tryin to fix the problem and out of $$$ can anyone help plz???
morone over gold 85 jb stazza
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

Are you saying the idle hunts up and down? In Cordias that means the TPS needs to be set, I would assume it would be the same for Starions. It sounds like you have more than one problem though, but at least that's a start.
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

Does your boost gauge flicker or not read correctly while the engine is going crazy? I re-soldered all the components on the MAP sensor circuit board and the problem went away for a couple of weeks. The problem came back after going through some more rain. Seems to be a heat and humidity related problem, looking at converting to a plastic JB type. As your most likely already running the plastic type it can't be fixed and it's time to throw it away. At least swap it with another one you can borrow and see what happens.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
swade0
[L] Plates

swade0

Post by swade0 »

yeh well the problems gone away for now. but i was told that the waste gate might be sticking and thats y its not going so hard. how do i free the waste gate???
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Remove the wastegate and use copious amounts of WD40 or equivalent until the actuator rod moves again.

May take some time.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

It might pay to open up the MAP sensor and make sure that no water has been getting in to it. There's a large rubber gasket when you open it up that sometimes gets holes/rips in it - this can be fixed with bicycle puncture repair kits. Make sure there's no corrosion around the sealing edges of the MAP sensor (both sides).

Failing that, replace the o-rings in the MAP sensor itself (there are at least two where the pressure sensor tube is).
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

how do you set TPS?
1983 JA Staz
swade0
[L] Plates

Post by swade0 »

can nyone give me a pic of what the waste gate looks like... and the map sensor would appreciate very much. i know its above the brake cylinder. nott 100% what it is ... thanks...
Nord72
[P] Plater austaz

Re: help plz stazz running bad

Post by Nord72 »

swade0 wrote:hey look guys need help. i read up bout the map sensor and checked all the pipes. then was running fine. went for a bit of a go in the rain HANG it. now it is runnin like crap. checked all the pipes again they are fine. its revin high then low. doesnt wanna hit boost all that well. coughs alot and at times it seems it wants to drive itself... when taking of accelerator it surges like the accelerator cable pulls a tiny bit then stops.. spent heaps tryin to fix the problem and out of $$$ can anyone help plz???
Do I understand it right ?
When You start the engine the rpm is going up and down continuosly ?!
If its the problem you can hold back the throttle with your hand and it should set back to a normal idle.
If the situation exactly that, than you have a broken idle up solenoid.
My Starion made it exactly the same way you wrote it (swaped that thing and now everything's alright)

I hope I could help with this info.

Cheers,

Nord
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

With reference to Nord's post above - if you have a JA, then you don't have an idle up solenoid. If you have a JB or JD, you have a (motorised) idle speed control.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah his car is a JB. i had a few problems with mine after i got it back on the road, the list of symptoms was a mile long. ended up being a bad connection on the coolant temp sensor, and also corroded main ecu connector, and stuffed circuit board in the ecu itself.

JB map sensors give very little problems in my experience, its more likely to be the idle motor, or a bad connection somewhere. all i can suggest if u have ZERO dollars is get a can of electrical CO cleaner and pull apart EVERY efi wiring connection, clean the terminals and spray with CO cleaner. that'll give u a fighting chance at least.

failing that, find a good auto elec that is familiar with starions. might be fun down there though...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

JPC wrote:With reference to Nord's post above - if you have a JA, then you don't have an idle up solenoid. If you have a JB or JD, you have a (motorised) idle speed control.
Actually, I stand corrected (by myself) - for a JA, the idle up solenoid is an air bleed valve on the front side of the TB, activated when using the aircon.