Does High PSI Boost Destroy Your Engine? How To Prevent It?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oped
I like starions more

Does High PSI Boost Destroy Your Engine? How To Prevent It?

Post by oped »

Hello,

I have been told from all my mates who claim knowledge in turbo's that when you boost your turbo to a higher psi that it destroys your engine.

So boosting from 7 to 15psi would mean a shortened engine life.

Is that true?

And if it is, what can you do to prevent or stop it?

Thanks
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Boost doesn't kill an engine on it's own, poor tuning helps.

Forged pistons will allow more boost to be used (compared to stock pistons) as long as it's tuned correctly.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Don't raise it over 13 psi if you have an intercooler and don't raise it over 10 psi if you don't. Running 98 ron will help keep it cool aswell.
Raising your boost causes extra heat which can crack pistons etc and with poor tuning like al said, the engine will run lean and get even hotter.

If you decide to raise your boost and find that when you drive it, it has a sudden cut out or 'jolt' feeling, thats your ecu letting you know your pushing it too far. Sometimes it will cut out before 13psi but there are ways around that.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

inpropper tuning and fatigued components cause failure.

Also all mitsubishis from the 80's have pretty poorly designed heads.. they are usually the first thing to go in my experience
1983 JA Staz
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

hi boost doesnt destroy engines, poor tuning does (lean outs, detonation/pinging etc)..

its a complicated question to answer really, i mean running higher boost makes it easier for these tuning mishaps to happen so for example people say:

" my engine blew coz i was running too much boost"

whereas they should say:

"i blew up my engine coz i'm an idiot and didnt hear it pinging its tits off on 15 psi coz i was a cheapskate at last petrol fill and put 91 octane in instead of the 98 its tuned to run"

LOL
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Oh, i thought the hi pressure would f*ck things in the engine.
And doing it for along time just roots the crap out of everything.
If its just a heating problem, couldnt you add another radiator or upgrade your engine cooling.

Also, just curios, can you use a intercooler as a radiator. Because I am guessing intercoolers work alot better at cooling air than the radiator.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Oh, i thought the hi pressure would f*ck things in the engine.

- Read what was said. Poor tuning and boost will fuck the engine.

And doing it for along time just roots the crap out of everything.

- Same with anything you abuse, it will wear out quicker or break

If its just a heating problem, couldnt you add another radiator or upgrade your engine cooling.

- It's internal combustion chamber heat.

Also, just curios, can you use a intercooler as a radiator. Because I am guessing intercoolers work alot better at cooling air than the radiator.

- It would already be done if they worked better.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

More boost = higher compression = more power = more load on bearings etc = shorter time B tween rebuilds =more $$$ 2 spend :(
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

Much to learn my young padawan
1983 JA Staz
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

redzone wrote:hi boost doesnt destroy engines, poor tuning does (lean outs, detonation/pinging etc)..
So I could run 30 psi through my standard engine as long as I've tunned it properly :wtf:
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Junkers wrote:
redzone wrote:hi boost doesnt destroy engines, poor tuning does (lean outs, detonation/pinging etc)..
So I could run 30 psi through my standard engine as long as I've tunned it properly :wtf:
Technically yes, but with increased boost your detonation threshold is lower so you would have to pull back timing so much that it would run like shit and be far away from your effiency range that you would have less power than a lower boost level.

I think the main point everyone is trying to say is the biggest killer of engines is detonation and lean ratios, rather than boost on its own. You could damage an engine on stock boost if you are running lean or your timing advance is too much that it causes detonation. On the other hand if you keep your air ratios right and the engine doesnt have pinging then running more boost is okay. In the end all engines have a limit on how much load it can handle based on its design.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

And the way to raise that limit is with forged pistons?
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

"On the other hand if you keep your air ratios right and the engine doesnt have pinging then running more boost is okay"

there is your answer..

most mild street apps don't need forgies unless its for wank factor to say you have them.

make sure fuel, timing and cooling are up to it and you should be fine

oh and if your car has never had a rebuild (ie it is an 82-86 original motor) don't abuse it and expect it to last even with the right fule/timing/cooling combo
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Post by madeofmilo »

benny wrote:"

most mild street apps don't need forgies unless its for wank factor to say you have them.
thats why I am getting them :P....not (borat quote)
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

So forged pistons are really non benefitial?