Top Mount Intercooler vs. Front Mount

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oped
I like starions more

Top Mount Intercooler vs. Front Mount

Post by oped »

Hello,

I am trying to decide whether front mount intercooling or top mount intercooling.

This is the information I have acquired at the moment. And it seems that top mount over weighs the front mount by what I've read, but not many people actually use top mount. So id be interested what you guys have to say

ADVANTAGES
* The TMIC may be placed close to the turbocharger and/or supercharger compressor and to the engine's intake. As a result, the intake tubing can be kept short. The longer the path from the intercooler to the engine, the more air must be pressurised within the hoses when a change in pressure is demanded - and the greater the lag imposed. When used in combination with quick-spooling turbochargers, such as ball bearing turbochargers, the result is a more responsive engine.

* Unlike front-mounted intercoolers, TMICs do not block any airflow to the radiator and/or oil cooler, allowing better engine cooling.

DISADVANTAGES
* Heat from the engine may be conducted through to the intercooler, usually while trying to escape through an open hood vent. For this reason hot, cramped or poorly ducted engine bays (commonly the case with rotary engines) negatively affect the performance of TMICs.

* TMICs tend to be less efficient than similarly sized front mount intercoolers, due to the smaller amount of cold air flow through the hood scoop compared to the front grille area in most car designs.

Thanks
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

TMIC = inter heater
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

benny wrote:TMIC = inter heater
What do you mean?
jeff
I've been here before

Post by jeff »

he says that because a top mount i/c absorbs engine heat.
the front mount is worth doing.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

You will need a big hole to let fresh air in or hot air out if you put a top mount cooler on. Plus there's not a huge amount of room so the cooler will need to be small (like an RX7 one)
Marc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Marc »

Starions are blessed with a huge amount of room for a cooler at the front. You could have a 21st B'day inside my JA front bar area ;)

So many other sports cars are cramped in there and people end up cutting their bars which looks shit.

And also, correct me if i'm wrong but i believe an Intercooler will lower your engine temp a little anyway, so you shouldn't loose much cooling from the IC blocking the radiator and/or oil cooler.

Use the available space plus cooler air and go FMIC!!

cheers

:beer
82' Silver JA
STARZILA
I love starions

Post by STARZILA »

Some starion models have factory front mount intercoolers anyway.
Im sure mr bishi put them in the front for a reason...Look at all the EVO's :P
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

easiest way to make more room for an i/c is to relocate the oil cooler back to underneath the bonnet catch.

I just completed an i'c setup which is up and running minus a BOV, was able to complete it without moving any washer bottles and 2.25" piping 450 x 300x76 core.

http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/cooler_mount.jpg
http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/bay_piping.jpg
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

I've never had a turbo car.. this is my first ... so I know nothing about intercoolers.

But ive heard using the aircon while driving can fuck your engine because of something to do with the moisture in the air.

Do I have to modify anything else when installing one (e.g. ECU) and does it matter what intercooler I buy and what size inlet etc it has.

Plus is there a best way to do it to minimise lag etc etc.
oped
I like starions more

V Mounted Intercooler

Post by oped »

I was looking around the internet and found this (which i have never seen before)

The V-Mounted Intercooler
The V-Mounted Intercooler is a hybrid system, developed to provide superior air cooling to a front mounted intercooler, yet still retain the short intake piping and radiator airflow of the TMIC. In this case, the intercooler is mounted horizontally, directly in front of the engine (although it can be at an angle). Most VMIC setups place the radiator below the intercooler, at a great angle, tilted back until it is almost touching the motor. Ducts are used in the front of the car to duct air through the intercooler, creating a ram-air effect, while the remainder of the air flows over the radiator, normally. The air is usually removed via a hood vent (a vent recessed into the car's hood near the front of the car; if it is mounted too far back, it will actually suck air into the engine bay), although in the case of a bottom-mounted intercooler, the air is allowed the exit underneath the car (although this is dangerous because is places the intercooler at extreme risk to damage from bumps and rocks). VMIC setups are typically utilised on Front Midship cars, as the location of the engine, far back in the engine bay, allows room for the system.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

A good idea but not practical in a staz engine bay unless you move everything backwards top allow it to fit. Plus all the ducting required and big ass hole in the bonnet to vent air.
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

can be done with cooler laying flat rather than vertical in the nose.. but rocks are bad :wink:
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

oped wrote:I've never had a turbo car.. this is my first ... so I know nothing about intercoolers.

But ive heard using the aircon while driving can fuck your engine because of something to do with the moisture in the air.

Do I have to modify anything else when installing one (e.g. ECU) and does it matter what intercooler I buy and what size inlet etc it has.

Plus is there a best way to do it to minimise lag etc etc.
1. Air con.... will not fuck your engine... It may sap a couple of hp

2. 2.5" is a good size for piping. try to get an intercooler with matching inlet/outlets so you don't have to buy expensive silicon reducers.

3. Front mount vs. top mount... FRONT MOUNT... more room to go bigger and cooler air... An intercooler only has 1 job... to cool the air after it hs been heated up but the turbo compressing the air (not because the turbo itself is hot)... WRX and RX7 that come standard with top mounts get changed to front mounts when looking for more power...

4. Don't try to reinvent the wheel... go with the proven package... ie Front mount.

5. Don't worry about the longer piping route of a front mount... You will not notice any increase in lag...

6. Money... Budget $700 to $1000 for a front mount intercooler installed with custom pipe work, silicon comectors, clamps etc...

7. No you dont have to change your ecu. But to take advantage of the intercooling effect you should at a minimum you should have your ecu chipped to run more timing, boost and fuel... changes...
http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... light=chip $100...
1985 JB Starion #157
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

benny wrote:TMIC = inter heater
+1

good way to insure the air coming into that intake is nice and hot.

Would be hard to make a scoop big enough to even run a top mount interfooler
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

On top of the ducting and the big hole in the bonnet you'll also need a new header tank system as the radiator will no longer be higher than your engine head. I think 4g63beat on the forums has a vmounted setup. The main benefit of a vmounted setup is that small nose to tail accidents dont mean the end of the race meet. Its a popular setup in japan, cause we all know how bad asian drivers are :D
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five