Need New ECU... Help Suggestions and Comments Please

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
oped
I like starions more

Need New ECU... Help Suggestions and Comments Please

Post by oped »

Hows it going guys,

Ive just purchased a Starion 1982 Turbo. And am ready to chuck a bigger turbo and intercooler on it.

The engine has had a rebuild 5,000kms ago, the transmission less than that and the turbo was reconditioned at the same time as the engine.

So basically everything is stock.

I understand I need a new ECU as the stock one is extremely dated.
I don't know much at all about car computers but from what I am reading there are 'piggy back' types, which "piggy back" on the cars current system using the existing sensors. Or there is the 'stand alone' type, which is pretty much brand new everything.

I am guessing the stand alone system is far superior, but is it necessary? I've been looking at the prices of the stand alone ones and they all seem to be $2000 - $2500, where the piggy back types are only around $400.

Do you guys think it is worth waiting and saving for the stand alone, or is it just over the top and not worth it

Thanks guys

James
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Also do 1982 JA Starions have stock LSD?
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Speak to the person/workshop that will be doing you tuning and ask their opinon. It also depends on how far you want to go with the car!
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Once u start modifing u will always have your hand in your pocket :( but not 4 the same reason as Roger rofl
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

As you're down in Melbourne, speak to Flav of Zoom Tuning....he should extract the best performance
out of the stock car.

Basically he can chip your standard computer, hook you up with an intercooler, bigger/high flowed turbo & decent exhaust
system and upgrade your fuel pump.

Most JA Starions did not come with LSD, so get your name on the waiting list with Flav or get in contact with Oscar from the US.

Otherwise, you're looking at big $$$$ for more power.

:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Whether or not to go a standalone computer depends on how far you want to modify your car and the condition of your current system. If your injection system is in good condition and you dont plan to go too far with your modifications then using a piggyback will work well. On the otherhand if your injection system needs replacing it might be worth the extra amount of money to go mpi at the same time as installing your standalone computer.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

You can get a Microtech or a Wolf ECU for around $1100 + installation + tuning.
If you're doing that, you may as well replace the injection manifold with an MPI unit from either an L300 van or a 2.4L Sonata before you put the intercooler on.
These mods should be good for close to 200rwhp, and you'll still be able to get decent economy too.
oped
I like starions more

Post by oped »

Hmm interesting...My original plan was to bolt on a RX7 top mount intercooler which came with the car including a spare bonnet which has the scoop for it, then put an 88 or 89 ECU in it. Then later down the track, put a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler and standalone comp and fuel pump.

With putting a L300 or sonata manifold on, is it a big job?
Or is it just a bolt on and go job?

Also is the same sort of thing as the VR4 conversion or is that something different?

Thanks
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

VR4 conversion is a lot of work and $$$ - a few people here have done it though.

Fitting an L300 manifold is relatively easy. The hardest part is making up a custom accelerator bracket and finding places to run the water lines. It is a straight bolt up job though.
And then running the wires for the ECU can be a bit of a pain.
For the sonata manifold you'll need to do a bit of cutting and welding as the plenum points the wrong way, but once that's done it points a nice direction to run intercooler pipes to.

Here's a picture of the L300 mpi in my yellow starion
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

forget the top mount interheater. People remove them from their RX7's and Pulsar GTIR's because they create nore heat than cooling. Same as the WRX!

Ash
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

where is the sonata top radiator hose? front or rear?

if its in factory place so can use original top hose then ill update mine shortly :)
1983 JA Staz
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Sonata thermostat hose is at the back of the manifold but you can run it from there by combining two radiator hoses together like this.

Another option is to use a l300 manifold with a custom plenum that faces foward.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

oped wrote:...... then put an 88 or 89 ECU in it.......
I take it you have been reading the US based Starion forums? The 88/89 ECU upgrade will not work on the aussie delivered cars.
Remember that you have a 2L 4G63 opposed to a 2.6L 4G54 in the US. They are completely different and 99% incompatible.

My advice - Look to get the car running stock & have fun with it. You will soon find it's limits and can decide on what path to take modification wise.

MPI + aftermarket computer is a great upgrade, but not necessary to have fun.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
lowlancer
I like starions

Post by lowlancer »

Having gone aftermarket, it definately allows for more modification. I didn;t have too much choice due to having the 12 valve.