what is wrong with my starion? :(

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
sriver killer
I like starions

what is wrong with my starion? :(

Post by sriver killer »

hey everybody.
i have a problem atm with my starion :(
basically put, when I accelerate and I get to about 2thousand revs Iif I try to accelerate any more then the car just loses power and shakes, it appears like the car is wanting to boost though...

I have tried replacing the coil, tuning the dizzy and replacing the throttle position sensor to eliminate this problem. what else could it be that is stopping me from accelerating?

i heard it could be the ma sensor but not really too sure,
any help would be appreciated,
cheers :pimp
after alot of ff cars, I think it is time for me to try a fr :O
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Post by madeofmilo »

air flow meter is a possiblity. I had an old skyline do it and it was a blocked air flow meter, I run LPG and have taken off the sir flow meter so I don't know the starion one. On the skyline one it was a paddle type and got block closed, therefor sensed no air and didnt' deliver any fuel.

I may be wrong though.
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.
sriver killer
I like starions

Post by sriver killer »

alright, I guess that i can check that,...
but I have no idea what it looks like on a starion :(
cheers
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Its the gold box above the brake booster. You should check the vac line to it. They are prone to cracking near the manifold. If its a problem with the map or you have a leak then this is the answer.

:D now luv me..
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I have explained to him what the map sensor is, and he has checked the VAC line to it, but that line is fine. I thought it was the MAP sensor, but does anyone have a better way of testing it besides chucking a working one on?
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Take it off and open it up....check for bad soldering that has come appart and burned out diodes or dry and cracked O rings.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

Have you tried checking the ECU for error codes? I'm not sure that the Starion computer has then, but Cordias do.
Do you have an intercooler? If so it sort of sounds like a typical boost leak, you'll hear the turbo spool, see the boost rise really quickly on a boost gauge but instead of accleration you just get a gushing sound and the engine bogs down.
I don't think replacing random parts is the way to fix this, you might end up replacing half the things in the engine bay before you get lucky.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Flav, I have a MAP sensor, but that little needle part god spray paint in it. Any ideas if I can get a new part and solder it back on myself?

I don't need it for my car, but if I can fix it, then it could be used on a car that needs it. Just one more starion running :D
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Post by madeofmilo »

was just thinking, it may be collapsed catalitic converter, I'm not that knowledgable about cars so Flav or Redzone could help you more probably, but it it's no the air flow meter then check the cat or muffler hasn't collapsed, again I don't work on my own car so I don't know exactly what the starion ones are like, but that would explain whats wrong with it, if I was doing it I would just undo the bolts on the exhaust gasget and take off the cat/muffler etc and see if it runs, at least over 2,000rpm...again I could be wrong 'cos I don't know shit about cars, but also remember if you take it off you will need gasget goo from the locktite range is good to seal it back up.

Hope it helps let me know how you go.

Cheers Dave
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

OK, what model Staz do u have?
sriver killer
I like starions

Post by sriver killer »

Igotta have a look at things again and see what can be done,
oh, I got an 82 JA starion
with a japanese starion singlepoint injection motor **different to the aus one, like it has a funny electronic thnig on the turbo...**
i dunnoe if that helps you much XD

the problem wouldn;t be that i am running the jap motor with an aussie dizzy would it?
cheers
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

it isn't the cat as the 82's don't have them
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

sriver killer wrote:Igotta have a look at things again and see what can be done,
oh, I got an 82 JA starion
with a japanese starion singlepoint injection motor **different to the aus one, like it has a funny electronic thnig on the turbo...**
i dunnoe if that helps you much XD

the problem wouldn;t be that i am running the jap motor with an aussie dizzy would it?
cheers
"electronic thing" on turbo could just be after market boost control solenoid.

will it get over 2k free reving?
what is stamped on the turbo?
any vacuum lines not plugged in?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

diagnosing these sort of probs over the phone or internets is almost impossible. check your leads though, could be as simple as a faulty coil lead or sparky's..

but seriously theres a million things it could be...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
typer
Big Dorifto

Post by typer »

Try unplug wire to Aircan (Airflowsensor).

The engine will go to vacuum mode (limp mode).

If that works, get new airflow sensor or run engine in limp mode :x
Mitsubishi Starion '87
Mitsubishi Starion '87
Toyota Corolla '94