Help to quit smoking

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
BandY
Newcomer

Post by BandY »

Like Abalistic wrote, check your pcv valve. Better yet, make sure your Valve Cover breather hose is clear. Obviously, pressure is building up, but that doesn't mean OIL pressure, necessarily. It's probably AIR pressure, which increases oil pressure, too. That could lead to blowing seals and gaskets, if not fixed! :wink:
HOW can I import me a RIGHT hand drive Starion?
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

ok so ive done a compression test,
good news.... pistons 1-3 are fine (around 130 whatever the air reading was)..... bad news 4th has a cracked ring (around 90 whatever that air reading is).....
good news..... rebuild time..... bad news.... no money and miss driving it....
good news.... doin lots of overtime..... bad news..... not enuf overtime.....

so now im gona get my JA on the road and sell to build my JB engine.... then ill forge it and whack that new turbo that redzone supplied me... wonder if i can do it before toys gets his on the road.....? any bets??
LOL rofl
JB Starion - 2 tone Maroon/Silver, L300 MPI, KKR 430, Simmons, RX7 550cc, bosch 044 fuel pump..
194.7HP atw!!!
igottasicjb
I like starions more

Post by igottasicjb »

i would suggest checking the operation of the positive crank case ventillation valve, and check the condition of the charcoal canister/catch can and applicable lines. the pcv valve should only let a small amount of air into the crank case under boost but allow free flow under vacuum. if its jammed open (vacuum position) then you are pressurizing the crankcase with too much air due to the charcoal canister not being able to release the extra air quick enough, therefore pushing oil through any available exits, the same goes for the chacoal canister/ catch can and lines,if they are blocked the the same result will happen.

a compression check would be wise as my jb (when it actually ran) had a craked cyl head above the 3rd pot resulting in the same symptoms your engine has got.
i have seen this prob 4 times now and all on jb engines with jet valves as the head is weaker than the ja (non-jet valved) head.
boost = the replacement for displacement
<<<PIGS can fly
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

insane_clown wrote:It dosn't blow smoke in the morning, just when I come to a stop.
The other day after I had fun with a skyline I found that my dipstick had been pushed up by a inch and oil was all over the rocker cover.
After what I have read it might be the rings.
I hope not, the misses will kill me for spending more money on the car.
:beer
cranckase pressure maybe an indication of broken rings but is the car missing and or going worse? if not then it's normal blow by for a worn engine... Just check your PCV valve is working
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
insane_clown
Big Dorifto

Post by insane_clown »

I know it has been a while but i have been to busy or to lazy to do a compression test till today.
This is what I got :
Cyl 1 -130 PSI
Cyl 2 -100 PSI
Cyl 3 -130 PSI
Cyl4 - 140 PSI
When I pulled the spark plug out of No. 2 and it seemed a bit oily I feared for the worst, and after the compression test i knew what it was.
So it seems like to mew that number 2 is screwed so sit might be time for a rebuild.
1981 Mitsubishi Scorpion Import
4G63 2.0Lt Turbo
L300 Intake Manifold 450cc Injectors
Microtech MTX-8 ECU
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

ok so with the help of el-jays (cheers man) ive pulled the engine out and and found broken rings on piston1. need to check the others yet.. ran out of time but will post pics and let u konw the condition of the others.
JB Starion - 2 tone Maroon/Silver, L300 MPI, KKR 430, Simmons, RX7 550cc, bosch 044 fuel pump..
194.7HP atw!!!