LSD oil cooler

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
avandull
Mine is bigger than yours

LSD oil cooler

Post by avandull »

Has anyone got any pictures or advice on the topic of installing an oil cooler on an LSD for track work.
Agatha the ugly Starion
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

interesting Idea, What forces the oil through the cooler?
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

one would have to assume that there was an electric pump getting welded onto it and it just didn't get done.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

you could probably make it self pumping, due to the rotation of the crown wheel through the oil.
So, an exit at the rear, low down in the removable cover, through the cooler, and return through the filler.
Just keep the cooler and lines close to the plane of the diff, should work.
Dash 8AN Speedflow hose and a Magna or Starion engine oil cooler.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

A celica i saw with a diff cooler had an electric pump inline with the hose that is fitted to the filler hole and the a hose from the cooler to the filler hole.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
avandull

Post by avandull »

I am thinking an electric oil pump forcing circulation through an oil cooler. Is it worth mounting the oil cooler at the front of the car? Anyone got any photos of LSD cooler setup's
Agatha the ugly Starion
7th_skyline
[P] Plates

Post by 7th_skyline »

I haven't got any that show the pump arrangement; but the gibson motorsport R31s ran a massive array of undercar coolers - separate units for engine oil, gearbox, and diff....

Actually this might be the DR30 - fark all difference either way. Note the filter and ducting.

Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

Thats IRS.. DR30 :P
1983 JA Staz
avandull

Post by avandull »

Very nice. Thanks for the photo 7th_skyline. A picture paints a thousand words. You are in South Hobart too! Were you in the Domain Hill climb?
Agatha the ugly Starion
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

has anybody got an idea where to get the pump?
7th_skyline
[P] Plates

Post by 7th_skyline »

Chryzla wrote:Thats IRS.. DR30 :P
Yes it is the DR30 - but HR31s are IRS, R200 diff also - its the local R31s with the fourlink and borgwarner setup. But between the DR30 and HR31 rear end the differences are minimal.
Anyway...
avandull wrote: Very nice. Thanks for the photo 7th_skyline. A picture paints a thousand words. You are in South Hobart too! Were you in the Domain Hill climb?
We've met before out at Baskerville when I've been helping Jonny Rochester... I'm even in one or two photos on your website, fat short bloke with no hair and a beard. :D
Missed the domain unfortunately, didn't even get to spectate. Hopefully will do a heap of sprints and hillclimbs next year when I'm satisfied with the car.
Oscar-the-Grouch
I love starions

Post by Oscar-the-Grouch »

Hello all

As for coolers we here use used Engine Oil coolers from Volvos either 740's or the 750's nice small/short in size but yet very efficient and allready have metric fittings that can be converted to AN rather easily.

As for the pump not many choices out there, One member here used an old Mercedes Benz External Coolant pump but it only worked for a short period of time. I was designed to handle the heated fluid but unsure why it failed. He bought this pump from a junk yard for USD$20.00. New Oil Pumps for this application Diff Cooler Pumps run about USD$200. And yes you use the FILL plug for the return line and the drain plug for the feed line to the pump.

The placement of the cooler is rather up to the owner but placing it undercar near the diff IS a must, you dont want it all the way in front of the car. Simple install though.

Save cash by using a used Wreking yard cooler and splur on the pump. A new oil cooler can be very expensive.

Oscar
LSD & US Parts GUY
ImageImageImage
avandull

Post by avandull »

Cheers Oscar. Thanks for the info.
Agatha the ugly Starion