help help twincam gearbox trouble!!!!!!!!!!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
TWIMCAM BOY
I like starions more

help help twincam gearbox trouble!!!!!!!!!!

Post by TWIMCAM BOY »

heys guys,
i finally got my engine back after 10months at the builders. I thought i could make an adaptor for the gearbox or some how make it bolt up but i cant so i need some help WHAT SETUP ARE U GUYS RUNNING (NARROW BLOCK) AND HOW DID U GO ABOUT IT???????????? PLEASE HELP ME GUYS AS I WANT TO GET THE OLD GIRL GOIN AGIAN!
GO HARD OR GO HOME
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

U need a wide block, esepecally for the power yr looking to get out of it. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

u need 2 get a Dellow adaptor bellhousing & a w58 Supra g box .I think it is about $1700
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
nzgsr
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by nzgsr »

convert a narrow block gear box 2 starion gearbox internals and hydralic clutch instead of cable
TWIMCAM BOY
I like starions more

Post by TWIMCAM BOY »

"U need a wide block, esepecally for the power yr looking to get out of it." THAT HURT MY FEELINGS VR4 STARION YOUR JUST JEALOUS MY ENGINES GOIN TO POP BEFORE YOURS LOL

has any one ever looked at rb20/25 boxs up close and compared them to starion ones????

What flywheel can i run as the starion on is two wide?????

do sigma bellhousing sperate from box??
GO HARD OR GO HOME
nzgsr

Post by nzgsr »

sigma bell houseing does not seperate from box case is almost identical 2 starion box splits in the middle
redzone
racking my brains

Re: help help twincam gearbox trouble!!!!!!!!!!

Post by redzone »

TWIMCAM BOY wrote:heys guys,
i finally got my engine back after 10months at the builders. I thought i could make an adaptor for the gearbox or some how make it bolt up but i cant so i need some help WHAT SETUP ARE U GUYS RUNNING (NARROW BLOCK) AND HOW DID U GO ABOUT IT???????????? PLEASE HELP ME GUYS AS I WANT TO GET THE OLD GIRL GOIN AGIAN!
2LT 1978 scorpion box, starion shafts and shifter hsg in the scorpion extension hsg, hydraulic clutch mechanism adapted onto the side of the box. come up to my workshop sometime and have a look at nick`s car, thats what we did with his..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

oh yeah and if ur running a 6 bolt crank u need a 2LT scorpion flywheel, 7 bolt u need a custom flywheel..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

You have 2 options without going radically custom.

- Place Starion internals inside a sigma/scorpion 2lr gearbox housing. There is some custom machining and head scratching involved, but not impossible. You will also need to convert the cable clutch arrangement to hydraulic for the starion.

- Use a W55 to W58 supra non-turbo gearbox. To make it fit, you need an adapter plate from Castlemain Rod Shop and this adapts the sigma 2ltr Borg-warner 4/5 speed bellhousing to the supra box. Again you will need to adapt the cable clutch arrangement to hydraulic. I have one of these conversion kits and am happy with the quality & price.
If you go this route, beware there are a couple of different bellhousings one of which CRS cannot use/adapt. Ask me if you need further info.

The DELLOW bellhousing to adapt the supra box is no longer available. I'm not even sure that they were ever available in narrow block form.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

nzgsr wrote:sigma bell houseing does not seperate from box case is almost identical 2 starion box splits in the middle
Australia only had a borg-warner g/box in the sigmas that did indeed have a removable bellhousing. Can get both narrow & wide bolt patterns.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
C Fernance

Post by C Fernance »

Dellow definently did make a narrow block to supra gearbox bellhousing as i have one sitting in my shed.

I pulled the complete setup out of a Sigma turbo so i wouldn't have a clue as to cost and so on though.
By day he is mild-mannered Chris Fernance, by night he becomes...ASTRON-man. "Defender of all things Scorpion, from the evil forces of COMMODORE-man"
DD Phil
Enthusiast

Post by DD Phil »

redzone wrote:
TWIMCAM BOY wrote:heys guys,
2LT 1978 scorpion box, starion shafts and shifter hsg in the scorpion extension hsg, hydraulic clutch mechanism adapted onto the side of the box. come up to my workshop sometime and have a look at nick`s car, thats what we did with his..
What about the RX7 boxes? Any luck with these yet?

Phil
Purple JA, full cage, 6G72TT, collecting dust
White JA, 19x10s, GT30, Alcons, DMS, Crower 2.4, Hypertune intake, M800.....
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

DD Phil wrote:
What about the RX7 boxes? Any luck with these yet?

Phil
These only work with the B2600 bellhousing which is the wide pattern.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
7th_skyline
[P] Plates

Post by 7th_skyline »

I'd say nobody makes adaptors for Nissan to mitsubishi yet? But on that tack RB30E/RB25DE/RB20DET box isn't anything to write home about, its the basic 5 speed Nissan use in about eleventybillion different cars, however an RB25DET box is massive, same internals as a GT-R and you'd probably never make enough grunt to break one.

In the VL turbo IP racer my old man built, the Supra box crapped out after about 5 meetings, they went to an R33 RB25DET box and it seems to be coping perfectly. Mind you thats with 300+ rwkw, a metric f#ckload of torque and sticky race rubber
lowlancer
I like starions

Post by lowlancer »

A fella I know just used a narrow block sigma box with cable clutch for his VR4 motor. Used L200 flywheel. Probably wouldn't take launches etc