Cam in - Goes Nice.

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

ecu

Post by pajeroturbo »

What do you mean your own ecu? How is that so if you’re running mpi?
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

He means he is not running a haltech, etc etc he is actually using an ECU that he built himself. The "MRB1" if i remember correctly.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

you can buy kit form ecu's to assemble and program yourself
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
jakobsladderz
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jakobsladderz »

That'd be the Megasquirt and family.. They're OK, but still a little too 'Hacky' for my liking..
Mark's is his own design, hardware and software.
Trispen - A form of intelligent grass. It grows a single, tough stalk and makes its home on lawns. When it sees the lawnmower coming it lies down and pops up again after it has gone by. (Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff)
JA Starion - Mechanic's Training and on-road EFI testing laboratory.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Very cool..

Can we see a pic?

Is he going to sell them??

What are the features?
1985 JB Starion #157
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

TOMSUN wrote:Very cool..

Can we see a pic?

Is he going to sell them??

What are the features?

I will take a pic when I get a chance. No sell.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Re: Cam in - Goes Nice.

Post by toysrus »

jakobsladderz wrote:Chucked in my new cam (camtech stage 2 regrind) last thursday. I put it in aligned how the data with the cam recomended, seemed great at the top end but was a little lacklustre down low.. Advanced the cam timing a couple of degrees today and bam, car goes nuts from about 2 1/2K to the redline and at least as good as factory below those revs. A significant improvement from the factory cam.
Just a quick question, what was the exact specs of the regrind ?

Eg Advertised duration, Duration @ 50thou, Cam lift and Rocker ratio.....

It should be on the Cam card.

Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

It's listed on the Camtech Website (and it is the same as my cam)

http://www.camtechcams.com.au/

Turbocharged - Single Overhead Cam Adjustable Rocker

Stage No: 2

Grind No: CT211 712B-114

Description: Slight lope at idle, excellent low end and mid range power, suitable for std or slightly modified engines. RPM RANGE 2400-6500

Trans-mission: MAN OR HI-STALL

Cam Timing
IN 27-71 EX 75-23

Advertised Duration
IN 278° EX 278°

Duration @ 0.050"
IN 230° EX 230°

Cam Lift
IN 0.312" EX 0.312"

Lobe Sep: 114°

I think the rocker ratio is 1.5
1985 JB Starion #157
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Tomsun, can you check the Cam card you would of got with it ?

When re-grinding camshafts you effectively change the rocker ratio and I'm 100% certain you can't grind it out as far as the Stage 2 specs......not that I care, just would like to know exactly how far they've been able to go with the stock cam :beer
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Mate I dialled it in about 3 weeks ago and the cam card was the same details.

The Stage 2 specs are the biggest you can go as a regrind (I wanted a stage 3 but they can go that big on as a regrind). I believe the base circle is ground smaller to give a bigger lift. This does influence the angle of the rocker arm and it's position on the lifter/valve...

Cam lift is absolute. Easy to measure with a dial gauge.

I have the standard rocker gear which is a 1.5:1 ratio and trust me, no one shortened my rocker gear when I had my cam reground... :roll:

Valve lift is calculated but multiplying the cam lift by the rocker ratio. But in reality (which is were some of us live) the measured valve lift is different due to the the acr that the rocker gear moves through and the position of the lifter/roller on the valve.
1985 JB Starion #157
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Base circle diameter affects the effective rocker ratio :wink:

I'll just give them a call instead :beer
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Here's a quick picture >

You have to think about it for a good minute, but its got to do with the vertical line of travel being on say a 5-10 degree slant at the camshaft. This means the effective cam lift is less which is then multiplied by the 1.5x Rocker ratio :(

If you'se still don't understand how it works, I'll explain it better later on tonight.........
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I get it...
Geez toys you can be a dickhead...
You are basically repeating what I said just in a different way. You make out that you are some big engine builder but you regurgitate bits of information that you hear from other people to try and make yourself look smarter than you really are...

You buy a Stage 4 cam shaft from Camtech then you try and sell it and then your going to get a custom cam made by a guy in NZ... And now you are on this thread asking about a Stage 2 cam specs and questioning effective rocker arm ratios!!! for fucks sake... !!! :glare:

So what is your point to all this theory in this thread... what are you trying to prove???
1985 JB Starion #157
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Your really having a bad day aren't you ? :?

All I wanted to know was the real valve lift of the re-ground cam......

And then you start assuming things, engine builder......since when ? What does selling the Camtech cam and getting another one done in NZ have to do with this thread......?

I'm sure the original question I asked would also help someone else who may want to know exactly what they're getting......

I'm over this shit, go have a choof, smoke, wank.........whateva and worry more about your family then what other people are doing to their cars :roll:

Goodbye !