Help to quit smoking

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
insane_clown
Big Dorifto

Help to quit smoking

Post by insane_clown »

Over the last week when I come to a stop the car is blowing smoke. If "I rev the car it's like a smoke machine till I burn the oil away.
When I'm driving it's fine this only happens when I stop at lights etc...
I think its the valve seals, just wondering what all you guys think.

cheers
:beer
1981 Mitsubishi Scorpion Import
4G63 2.0Lt Turbo
L300 Intake Manifold 450cc Injectors
Microtech MTX-8 ECU
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Sounds like the valve seals. Does it blow a heap of smoke in the morning when you start it? If so, then your valve seals are gone
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

damn you, thought this was a new style of nicotine patch or something :(
gordonspec® racing
jakobsladderz
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jakobsladderz »

Depends on the colour of the smoke too. Blue is rings/valve stem seals, because the oil gets into the combustion chamber and gets burnt with the fuel. White smoke is usually the turbo exhaust side shaft seal, since the oil just gets vapourised in the turbo, but not burnt because there's not enough air.
Trispen - A form of intelligent grass. It grows a single, tough stalk and makes its home on lawns. When it sees the lawnmower coming it lies down and pops up again after it has gone by. (Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff)
JA Starion - Mechanic's Training and on-road EFI testing laboratory.
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

mine only blows smoke after i back off from useing the turbo.... and its a white/bluey color... not too sure tho coz it disapears to quick wen im driving. what u rekon that could be? turbo needing a rebuild? soz if i hijacked....
JB Starion - 2 tone Maroon/Silver, L300 MPI, KKR 430, Simmons, RX7 550cc, bosch 044 fuel pump..
194.7HP atw!!!
insane_clown
Big Dorifto

Post by insane_clown »

It dosn't blow smoke in the morning, just when I come to a stop.
The other day after I had fun with a skyline I found that my dipstick had been pushed up by a inch and oil was all over the rocker cover.
After what I have read it might be the rings.
I hope not, the misses will kill me for spending more money on the car.
:beer
1981 Mitsubishi Scorpion Import
4G63 2.0Lt Turbo
L300 Intake Manifold 450cc Injectors
Microtech MTX-8 ECU
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

hey i had that too... i had to get a new dipstick. oil was everywhere and i dumped probly 2L of oil on the driveway without knowing..... so hope its not the rings :x
does yours do what mine does and blow a puff or too after you back of from boost?
JB Starion - 2 tone Maroon/Silver, L300 MPI, KKR 430, Simmons, RX7 550cc, bosch 044 fuel pump..
194.7HP atw!!!
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

if it always blows the dipstick out, that isn't good. THat could be a bad engine problem.
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

i just htink the dipstick lost its sealability.... (is that even a word?) changed it over and seems fine now :D hasnt been pushed back out which is good....
194.7HP atw!!!
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Classic symtpoms of stuffed turbo seals.

When you're at a stop and revving the engine, the exhaust gas pressure on the turbine pushes the turbo shaft into the 'correct' place. When you're idling, there's very little pressure on the turbine, and oil is free to go its merry way into places it shouldn't go.

Rip out the turbo and have it inspected - most turbo places will strip it down and tell you if anything's wrong for no charge (but they'll give it back to you in bits).
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

sweet, ive got a new one to strap on anyway so thats sorta good news
194.7HP atw!!!
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

The dipstick always tried to escape. I had a high-tech bit of wire to fix the problem!
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

haha u coulda told me sooner dude.... rofl
i had to use zip ties until i swap sticks :D
194.7HP atw!!!
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

If your dipstick is coming out, you HAVE serious issues! Dipstick popped oj mine a while back, held on with duct tape now! Mine is pissing oil everywhere, no surprise though as my engine is running on hope at the moment! Your seals are defo gone, could be costly, get it checked ASAP!

@digitalsko: Replacing your dipstick is not the answer you are looking for! If your dipstick is coming out, I'd address the issue rather then just change the dipstick!? Why is it building pressure? That's like having a car that pulls violently to the left, so you get a new steering wheel! Have a bit of a think! :wink:

Try these links...

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... ck+popping
http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/vie ... ck&start=0
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

cheers for that. Ill see how it goes with the new dipstick 1st. the other one was soo loose it wasnt funny. if the replacement gets blown out then ..... :x :( i wont be happy.... but ill let uknow
194.7HP atw!!!