New to the group.. help and advise with JA Starion Turbo

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

The nut is a plug indeed, it has the balance shaft retaining bolt behind it. If you can get the cover off with it all still attached then your a lucky guy. This sometimes works, but sometimes does not. You wont need to touch the bearings if you are careful as we are going to perform this surgery a little different.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

JPC wrote:
flav wrote:Barney, if you do not know how to get laid by now there is nothing in my tool box that can help you.
...now you know why Barney's sig is "Get Stroked" LOL
rofl

John, get of the computer and get that engine in! :D
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

Ready for the next stage

Post by starrzzy »

Flav, Have got the plug out and got the cover off.... The balance shaft that was seized is out. :) ...
Ready for the next stage to mod the shaft
(The other shaft on top right hand side .. does that need to be removed or can it stay there and just leave the belt off??)
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

You can leave it there if u like or u can lop it off with a grinder near the end as you will need the bolt up section to cover the seal.
I will just go take a pic of the other shaft thats been chopped and post it up shortly....ive had a massive day working on Ferrari's so gimme a bit and i'll give u the rundown.
Get the grinder and welder out!
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

We have completed most of this Via msn, however we will fill in all the details for all of you who need a quick balance shaft fix and add some pics in the process.
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

Post by starrzzy »

Ok .. i'm lost .. how do i post the pic on the page ??
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Use the image upload link at the top of the page. Upload the image, and then paste the provded [img] tag code that is given to you by the "Image Upload" site.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

Post by starrzzy »

Thanks ... will give it a go ..
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

here are some pic ..

Post by starrzzy »

[/img]Image
Last edited by starrzzy on Sun May 28, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

Post by starrzzy »

After the cut have ended up with this

I have actually tapped the hole put a bolt in and then welded.. (not coming out ) ... must make sue that the oil hole does not get blocked when the bold goes in ...

will get some pic for you all as it comes along ...

has now been cut and put in place..

Last edited by starrzzy on Tue May 30, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

has now been cut and welded

Post by starrzzy »

With Thanks to Flav
I have completed this Modification to the balance shaft on 4G63 SOHC. Starion Ja without removing the motor from the car.

There are 2 shafts 1 at the top of the motor and the other at the bottom .. refer to http://www.austarion.com/tech/4g63.pdf page 85 & 86

On mine it was “no 18” ”Silent shaft Left” that had seized.. after removing the timing cover, radiator, Alternator, Oil filter Bracket, Sump, Plug ”No11” and all bolts the cover was then removed (there is a bolt behind the plug “No 11”) that goes into the shaft through the oil pump.

The only thing I would do different is to remove the oil plug and the bolt behind..While there was tension on the gears from the belt … and also loosen the crank bolt ..

The crank pulleys came off with ease with a tap from the hammer and a screw driver behind to lever it off.

I thoroughly cleaned sump, oil filter bracket and cover, removing all old gasket material. Even resprayed the sump..

After speaking to Flav on msn I needed to cut the shaft 5 mm longer after the Oil pump cover .

A bolt was then found to fit just inside the shaft and welded into place making sure it did not block the oil hole .

There was probley no reason why you can’t tap the shaft and loctite a bolt in place.
The other balance shaft “No 19 “ was left in place but I am not going to put the belt back on ..
(Why make more work ?? and saves time )
As there was a slight groove in the crank shaft I have to rub it back with wet and dry and installed a new seal.

Project for next week ...

Barry
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

Have just added anothe photo

Post by starrzzy »

in the current thread of photos ..just added another pic 29/5/2006
filiboy
I like starions

Post by filiboy »

FLav I have a question for you, when I bought my starion it was faster than now, probably because balance shafts were removed, I didn't know nothing about starions then, I just liked them (the left shaft was left in the engine, not running of course and the right was removed), so what we did we find another shaft from mirage 1.8 TD and we put it back, now both shafts are running and the engine is balanced great. MY QUESTION is when the shafts are removed does the oil pump break faster? I think balance shafts also lubricate the engine better or I am wrong?? and also keep the oil pump in proper condition??, if I am wrong pls correct me 10xxx, cause I think to remove them again (and are there any removal kits in order to protect my engine better or no matter how it is done?)
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

Cam Shaft Marks

Post by starrzzy »

I have found the mark on the camshaft sprocket... what does it line up to ?? is it 03.00 or is there another mark i should be looking for ??

Am just waiting for the last 2 gaskets to arrive .. and hopefully will be able to get it up and running by the weekend.. :)
boosted88
[P] Plates

Post by boosted88 »

I would have thought removing both shafts would give better lubrication to other parts of the motor as the oil is not being used in the shaft bearings, also there is less load on the oil pump because it no longer has to turn the shaft behind.

I followed Flavs tips on cutting back the lower shaft, but took the top shaft out removed both bearings turned them to block the oil feed holes and repressed them back into the block, a 22mm socket seemed to fit along with a big mallet to drift them out and back in.

Hope this is right Flav????

Engine is still awaiting rebore so please tell me if I got something wrong here!

Cheers Paul.